Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: making an .exe or disabling opening a folder  (Read 1533 times)

Offline ModestNovice

• Members
making an .exe or disabling opening a folder
« on: 25 May 2008, 00:59:58 »
Hello. I have been working on an RPG mod. My question is how can I make an exe or have it, if at all possible, to make people need a password to open a folder. I need an addon folder for my mission, but there are a couple addons that have been requested that are for use only in my mod and I know even if I ask people not to use them, that there are those few that will go in and snag 'em.
"The road became empty and the people disappeared. The clouds ran away; opened up the sky, and one by one I watched every constellation die."
- Sean "Slug" Daley

Offline ModestNovice

• Members
Re: making an .exe or disabling opening a folder
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2008, 19:54:37 »
guess thats a no? or no one cares?

"The road became empty and the people disappeared. The clouds ran away; opened up the sky, and one by one I watched every constellation die."
- Sean "Slug" Daley

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2008, 00:14:13 »
Sorry for the lack of reply, but the answer is indeed "no". There is no way that I am aware of that can stop anyone from opening a folder and snagging any addons they darned well want. Of course, if said addons are binarized the snaggers will need specialized tools to be able to edit them, but that's true for ANY addon out there. Don't worry, the community won't condone any "stealing" of addons. Likewise, if you for instance release all the addons necessary compiled into one single .pbo (say... "dachevsrpgcollection.pbo"), and state in the readme the addons in there are not for redistribution, then that pretty much solves it.

Still won't stop people from using the stuff outside of your mission, or creating their own missions with them, or playing in the editor with them etc. etc. etc. As it should be when creating stuff. If someone is releasing an addon to the world, then someone should be prepared for the fact that addon will be used.

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline ModestNovice

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2008, 04:51:01 »
ok thanks Wolfrug.

Yeah wish there was a tool.

But...eh...its only our dreams right?  :no:
- Sean "Slug" Daley