Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: DTools v3 (ACCEPTED)  (Read 2656 times)

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
DTools v3 (ACCEPTED)
« on: 22 Apr 2008, 20:34:26 »
On Mandoble's recommendation I'm posting this here, despite the fact the resource is packaged as an addon.

DTools started back here and has grown a wee bit since then. It is now (thanks to Mandoble's input) in addon format and much easier to incorporate into a mission.

What is it? It's a group of scripts, accessed via a dialog, designed to help a mission editor when playtesting a mission. You could also call it a group of scripts which help you cheat when playing a mission - all depends on your outlook.

I doubt the scripts will win any awards, but feel free to make comments and suggestions for improvement.

Download DTools v3 (1.83Mb)
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2008, 18:27:41 by Mandoble »

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
Re: DTools v3
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2008, 20:40:00 »
May you add here and in the readme a clear Purpose and capabilities section? Something like,

With this you will be able to:
a - ...
b - ...
c - ...

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2008, 22:14:48 »
// Using the Toolbox

The Toolbox action will appear in the action menu, and each of the options is self-explanatory.
   Unfortunately it's only for single-player, but units in your group can be instructed to use the Toolbox.

// Features

1. Jedi Mind Trick   
      Setcaptive true all units in player's group. Toggles on/off.

2. Jedi Heal
      Heals player and units of the same side near the player.
      If there are many units near the player, the nearest is healed.

3. Focus
      Also known as 'bullet-time'. Toggles on/off.

4. Transporter
      Activates a single map-click which transports all units in player's group to the clicked coordinates.
      If units are within vehicles, vehicles will be transported too.
      Must be activated before each transport.

5. Light
      Creates a ring of hovering flares around the player. Toggles on/off.

6. Kevlar
      Simulates personal armour.
      Can be used by units in player's group.
      Some shots will still kill the unit, even though the unit appears alive.

7. Equipment
      Activates secondary dialog enabling custom loadout to be selected. Includes 'extras', and an ammocrate.
      Can be used by units in player's group.
      Side-specific.

8. Vehicles
      Activates secondary dialog enabling empty vehicles to be spawned.
      Includes a lockpick which unlocks locked vehicles. No really, it does.
      Additional features can be activated while in a vehicle:

a) Repair - repairs damage.
      b) Booster - will give a 5-second burst of speed. Cumulative.
      c) Shield - will protect the vehicle from most damage, depending on vehicle type.
      d) Extras - will equip the vehicle with extra weapons. Only applicable to vehicles with gunners.

Side-specific.

9. Spawn
      Activates secondary dialog enabling the following options:

a) Air support - a manned chopper will randomly patrol the area around the player. Side-specific.
      b) Armoured support - a manned tank will randomly patrol the area around the player. Side-specific.
      c) Special Ops - three highly-skilled units will randomly patrol the area around the player. Side-specific.
      d) Cover - a three-sided enclosure will appear in front of the player, with a medical jeep behind.
      e) Minefield - a line of 8 mines will appear evenly spaced in the direction the player is facing.

10. Weather
      Activates secondary dialog enabling the weather to be set.

11. SatComm
      Activates satellite view dialog.
      Any markers placed during the mission will be listed in the dialog, and can be navigated to.
      View can be zoomed and finely tuned horizontally and vertically.
      Dialog graphic will change at night.
      Includes night vision function.
      Includes DeathBeam...

12. Save
      Creates restore point.

Found a few remaining bugs lurking around. Repackaged and uploaded (top post).

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2008, 01:28:44 »
So, correct me if I'm wrong about the still missing "purpose"  ;)
Set of tools mainly designed to ease up the test process of any your own designed missions Which might also be a "must" to have tool for any mission betatester, right?

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2008, 09:35:04 »
I wouldn't say it's a 'must have' tool, in fact beta testing should probably be done without it to ensure the tester is having the same experience as the end-user will have. However, when setting up a mission it can be handy to be able to transport to the other side of a hill instead of having to run, or change the weather dynamically to see how the view distance in a locale is affected by fog, etc etc.

Naturally if that was the only purpose, I wouldn't have spent so much time making it full of pretty special effects, and I'm not sure what benefits to mission editing are bestowed by having a DeathBeam...

The secondary purpose is to enable these scripts to be easily incorporated into existing missions so that they can be explored in a new light. I've lost count of how many times I've played the Resistance campaign, but I found adding these scripts freshened the experience, opened up new possibilities. What if Victor Troska had a beretta in the drawer of his desk when Guba attacked Lipany? What if Armstrong had run into 3 friendly Special Ops in the forest of Le Moule?

Offline ViperMaul

• Members
    • Theatre Of War (Team PvP Campaign)
« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2008, 18:56:19 »
Although at first glance I thought DTools stood for Debug Tools. To which I was very excited.
This however is still a great addition for the Single Player community. Thanks for the contribution and the hard work! 
I look forward to trying them.

Now we just need something similar to expanded set of Debug Tools for MultiPlayer. Beyond the ones the community currently has.

Thanks again! Good Post.

ViperMaul
Theatre of War (Co-Lead Dev)
ACE (Jr Project Manager)