Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Artillery for MP  (Read 1310 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
Artillery for MP
« on: 09 Sep 2007, 20:49:05 »
I would use the thread below however I feel this has very little relavence with it.
I have already created the artillery script, works perfect in SP and almost perfect in MP apart from one or two things.

Firstly please check the attached, it is the artillery scripts. I decided not to write the entire set of scripts as it would make for one very long thread.

I will just say how it is ran.

Trigger 1
Condtion: Radio Alpha... this and player == leader player
Activation: [leader player] exec "westari\westaddaction.sqs"

Trigger 2
Condtion: Radio Bravo... this and player == leader player
Activation: [leader player] exec "westari\westaddaction.sqs"; light=true; publicvariable "light"

Trigger 3
Condtion: Radio Charlie... this and player == leader player
Activation: [leader player] exec "westari\westaddaction.sqs"; smoke=true; publicvariable "smoke"

Thats the three triggers and as you may have guessed it is an edited version of Mr Murrays' artillery script.

However in MP theres a few things I beleive. The other players see the artillery shells land and explode but they do not here the radio chatter leading up to the actual shells landing. Plus I am unsure if the shells land in the same place for all players as of the random shell spawning?

(Note, yes 4 shells are meant to be created so they act as a 'bigger' shell cause i found it hard to get a shell with just the right power to it)
Thanks.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
Re: Artillery for MP
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2007, 12:49:57 »
The problem is that the trigger only fires on machines that are player squad leaders, due to the trigger conditions. Thus, every squad leader will see messages as though they had requested artillery, even if they weren't the ones requesting fire support, or even if they were on the same side as the one that requested. Noone else will see messages at all.

This artillery script works well in SP, but really gets into trouble with COOP or MP. The way around this mess is to create local triggers via scripting and broadcast the messages in some way. You also have real problems with concurrent fire requests and the fact that anyone can spam fire down to complete a mission. Really, it is a lot more effort than it first appears!

I'm currently working on much improved (configurable, COOP/MP/JIP compatible), version of this script, but I'm rather busy with other scripts, so I probably won't be releasing it very soon (Look out for SPON Artillery...someday). Sorry! So far, I have it working very nicely in COOP/no-JIP, so I still have a fair amount of work to put in. Since noone has put you out of your misery before now, I assume that such a script doesn't already exist, or I'd save my time and effort ;P

Plus I am unsure if the shells land in the same place for all players as of the random shell spawning?
The westAri script only spawns the shells on the server, so they affect everyone exactly the same.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2007, 12:53:02 by Spooner »
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)