Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: anti-AA counter measures (flares). What's the best idea behind them?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline bdfy85

• Contributing Member
The basic principle attaching anti-AA flares to a helicopter is simple:
add "Incomingmissile" EH, when it's triggered - wait for rocket to come close, fire flares - but what is next ?
i.e. what is the best way to make missile hit the flare ? I searched through my ofp addons folder (there's a banch of addons with this feature) - the best examples i saw just force missile to turn with some angle thus avoiding hitting the heli.
Is there better ideas ? I'm still looking for simple and effective way.
What about making flare with big FireGeoLOD - missile can hit it occasionally ?
Is it possible to change missile target via script when it's already fired ?
Liberation Mod scripts&balance

Offline bdfy85

• Contributing Member
i don't like big complicated script systems - it's hard to find what you need and export to your addon. But thanks to the comments you gave to all the scripts - it didn't take me too long :)
mando_missileecm.sqf adds "Incomingmissile" EH. Thus  mando_missiles\units\mando_incoming.sqf is launched. mando_chaffflares.sqs is executed too, but i see it's for your missile system only + there're even no drop effects :(
It is "able to attract mando_missile missiles" (c), but i'minterested in standart weapons
Missile evading part:
            _dir = vectorDir _missile;
            _up = vectorUp _missile;
            _vel = [(_dir select 0)*400, (_dir select 1)*400, (_dir select 2)*400];
            while {(!isNull _missile)&&(!isNull mando_missilechaff)} do
            {
               _missile setvectorDir _dir;
               _missile setvectorUp _up;
               _missile setVelocity _vel;
               Sleep 0.005;
            };
kinda strange...   :whistle: in simple words this code just make missile  fly straight with constant speed. The simpliest idea i have ever saw. though i don't know what for you set _constant_ speed :) Of course, missile will be evaded, but you know  - that's not the idea i'm looking for ;)

« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2007, 18:33:02 by bdfy85 »

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
This is obsolete and not used anymore, mando missiles replaces all ArmA missiles at launch time and normal mando missile flares or chaff attrack them. If you dont replace the ArmA missile by your own, ArmA will try to guide it to the target while you fight in the other way trying to move it away, resulting in a weird trajectory.

EDIT: Flares or chaff are drawn for both, mando and ArmA ones in any case and in every client/server machine.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2007, 19:30:26 by Mandoble »

Offline bdfy85

• Contributing Member
replacing all the rockets is quite wierd fo an addon ;) +there're can be some AI issues if you actually replace shell or rocket. i won't do it.
ArmA will try to guide it to the target while you fight in the other way trying to move it away, resulting in a weird trajectory.
there were attempts in ofp - looked not so bad...
Flares or chaff are drawn for both, mando and ArmA ones in any case and in every client/server machine.

ok, i guess i just export not all the scripts needed ("big complicated script system") :)

So i see your position - it's a pity there're no other ideas :(

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
Missed all this was for an addon.