Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Consequences of using Editor Pack 1.02?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
  • John 21:25
Consequences of using Editor Pack 1.02?
« on: 04 Sep 2007, 01:23:11 »
hi, I recently installed the Editor Pack 1.02 addon into my addon folder. Now when I'm using the Mission Editor ingame I see a lot more options of various objects to place on the map, houses, buildings, walls etc. Very cool.   But...

1) If I use the Editor Pack 1.02, do the objects i put ingame "come" with the game or are they part of the Addon?  In other words, if somebody downloads my mission and I've used the Editor Pack, does that mean they have to install the EP into their addon folder as well?

2) Does the lag increase dramatically by placing lots of objects with the Editor Pack, since they are not originally on the map?  If i wanted to create a barbed wire fence all around Pita and add two dozen objects to the area, would that be a bad idea in lag terms etc? 

Thanks so much!

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
Re: Consequences of using Editor Pack 1.02?
« Reply #1 on: 04 Sep 2007, 01:54:30 »
Hi Lee,

Those editor pack objects will require players of your mission to have the editor addon.  However, there are two ways to use these objects and NOT require an addon.

1. Place placeholder non-addon objects in the editor.  Then use a script to replace them with the desired ARMA object.  I wrote a script called replace_object.sqs that does this just fine.  To use it, put this line in your placeholder object's init line:

Code: [Select]
[this, "Land_vez_ropa", "Pump2"] exec "replace_object.sqs";
In the above example, I am replacing the current object referenced by "this", with an object of type Land_vez_ropa (an oil pump), and naming the object "Pump2".

See my Destroy Oil Pump script for working example of this (and get the replace_object.sqs from there):

http://www.ofpec.com/ed_depot/index.php?action=list&game=ArmA&type=sc

In this simple sample mission, I placed many barrel objects, and put the script call in their init fields, and when mission starts its magic:  You see oil pumps instead of barrels. 

2. The other method is to place placeholder objects, and name them something you can remember (like "fence1").  Then exit ARMA and edit the mission.sqm.  Search for object name (like "fence1").  Then edit the object type there to be the object_type you want in-game.  I have only read about this technique, so this may not be exactly how you do it.  You might have to search the forums.

To find the Arma object type name for these objects, the typeOf command is handy, as is this Object Reference:

http://www.ofpec.com/COMREF/armavehicles.php

Regarding lag, I have no idea.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2007, 01:56:53 by johnnyboy »
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 05 Sep 2007, 17:15:12 »
hey Johnnyboy, great idea. I have used your destroy oil pump script and was wondering if you could create other objects that way, but wasn't sure.

This is a great solution, thanks!  :)

so for those of you reading:

Using johnnyboy's script in the initialization line of a barrel: [this, "Land_helfenburk", "Castle1"] exec "replace_object.sqs"

i got this:

http://www.ofpec.com/COMREF/cfg_images/ArmA/Land_helfenburk.jpg

So I've decided to create "Castle Pita" in Punishment Battalion... :)
« Last Edit: 05 Sep 2007, 17:53:00 by Lee »

Offline Sick

• Members
    • Dev-Heaven.net
« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2007, 15:54:45 »
6thSense.eu EditorUpdate does not require you to have the editorupdate addon when playing, only when placing objects on the map.
EditorUpdate is part of Pack1, but you can use it independently.
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/6thSense.eu:Pack1

If one would use objects from the editorupdate v1.02 which contains new classes that do not exist in real arma, it is impossible, even with a replacer script to use these objects without the editorupdate, simply because the classes are new and fully inexistent in ArmA (only the models etc exist).
Whereas my addon only makes objects available of which the classnames actually do exist, they are just hidden in default ArmA, but accessible when placed on the map.

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2007, 01:30:41 »
ahh thanks Sick. I did notice after putting in the castles that the Editor Update v1.02 was listed in my addons section of the Mission.sqm.  I'm trying to keep the number of addons to a minimum.  Thanks for the heads up!  :D