Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: "Coop essentials" Package (DELETED)  (Read 11348 times)

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
"Coop essentials" Package (DELETED)
« on: 02 Sep 2007, 20:28:56 »
Retiring all works from public. Has nothing to do with OFPEC nor with any member of OFPEC.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2009, 23:47:46 by myke13021 »

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
  • John 21:25
Re: "Coop essentials" Package ready to be tested.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2007, 14:31:03 »
hi Myke13021,

I've started taking a look at this package-- quite a fantastic resource (I'm sure SharkAttack will find this Coop creation tool very useful!)  Very thorough and well documented, and worth the time for me to give some feedback and constructive criticism here: 

As I am somewhat of a rookie and "lowest common denominator" (is that what LCD stands for by the way?   :D just kidding LCD) my initial feedback could be useful to help "idiot-proof" this resource (me being the "idiot").

1) The how-to initialize the A-CEP (page 4 of the PDF) could be shown to the player when he loads up the demo mission and starts wandering around the empty streets of Cayo.  At first I thought, where is everybody?  I of course then read through more of the manual and found the answer (they have to be initialized in a new init.sqs/sqf), but you see my point-- some people may load it up and lose interest because their hand is not held at the beginning on how to get started.  Also, correct me if i'm wrong, that the player has to add a line to a new init file for the mission so...

2) you could add a demo mission instead with the initialization already included, and then give the player advice on how to tinker with the line already created
3) When i tried creating an init.sqs file for the mission using this line:
nul = [WEST,[EAST],[Civilian],[20,10],true] exec "coop_essential\cep_init.sqf"

I got an error
cep_playerside |#| setfriend [_x, 1]
Error type Any, expected Side

And when i used this line (which i didnt expect to work) I got a boolean error.  The reason i mention this one here below is that some people might type that in right away because the PDF says to do tha tto initialize, though i could see that you had to choose some of the parameters, i'm sure someone might do that.
nul = [WEST,[EAST],[Resistance,Civilian],[20,10],true/false] exec "coop_essential\cep_init.sqf"

But aside from these minor points related mostly to documentation, this ArmA Coop Essentials Pack really looks extremely well made and should be very useful to mission designers.  Look forward to hearing more from you myke13021 on this and how i can figure things out  :yes:

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
Re: "Coop essentials" Package (TESTING)
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2007, 00:46:06 »
Thx LeeHunt for your preview.

Let me short go through your points to see:

Point 1: Indeed, i didn't thought to tell the payer where he is and what will happen. Was too much into "hell i know myself what will goin on" and didn't thought that other users will not know anything about it. Will add a hintc showing up and tell what will happen and where he should look.

Point 2: I don't understand but it isn't because your explanation more my lack of english (german native, ya know). If you could be more desriptive please.

Point 3: Yep, there's a typo in the readme saying exec instead of execVM. Will fix this, was a little lazy and well covered with other things last weeks. Bad excuse i know :D

I'm sure the error is related to this exec/execVM issue as the A-CEP was d/l @ armaholic.com over 500 times without reporting this error.

I will fix these issues asap and hope to get uploaded a fixed version till tomorow evening.

Myke out

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
  • John 21:25
« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2007, 00:53:50 »
hey Myke13021,

Ok great thanks for the information on the typo.  I will try execVM instead of exec and check out the new download as well.  I will write more feedback as I progress in testing it later...

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2007, 02:20:51 »
Haven't got around to looking at this properly, but I'll try to peek at it ASAP. Some comments on the thread, though:
- You say you haven't done any MP testing with more than one player, but do you know that you can connect to the dedicated server (arma_server.exe) with multiple clients using the same CD key, if you stick "kickduplicate=0;" in your server.cfg file?

- I've also noticed that createCenter doesn't seem to achieve anything. Ho hum, not like we should expect these things to work...

- On a more general point, unless a demo really, really needs to be in Sarahni, such as when it requires large distances to be travelled, please stick it on Ramadhi. Doing this saves everyone testing it about 60 seconds loading time, which could add up to years of life wasted if the script pack gets popular ;P
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2007, 02:28:28 by Spooner »
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2007, 03:21:46 »
As usual life messes up all plans for the weekend :D

Wasn't able to do some work on the A-CEP sadly. Hope i get tomorrow some time to. Life's a biatch :D

@Spooner
Some friends were "testing" it, saying they have it included in some of their mission. As the missions are already played on a regular basis, i guess i can state it "MP tested". I surely would have got some requests about bugfixing if there were any recognized. And i did some basic MP tests myself since dedicated Servers are sometimes a little pity to handle by scripts.

Well, yes, the CreateCenter...already stated in the first post that this command seems to be buggy and a pre-placed AI will fix this. I guess it's a little problem since a good map shouldnt only use the scriptpack but also have some well placed static defense lines like MG or Cannons. In these cases the bug is only a theoretical problem.

About Rhamadi/Sahrani: didn't thought about this issue since i load Sahrani at gamestart and therefor i wasn't aware that for other people the loading would take "a little longer". Will move the Demo over to Sahrani.

Myke out

sinchi runa

« Reply #6 on: 08 Oct 2007, 19:45:04 »
greetings.. i have been using this script a lot in MP.. works AwEsOmE!!!

one question..

is there a way to not delete the maker after the first spawn... ?

then have after so many bad guys are dead they start respawning... ?

until a trigger or condition is meet..??

i.e. killing the commander of the base.

...  also.. it would be nice to have any remaining troops surrender.. just ideas..

script gets  :good: :good: from me.

« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2007, 19:52:27 by sinchi runa »

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2007, 23:22:06 »
@sinchi runa

The A-CEP is not designed to generate endless waves of enemies. However, you're free to setup multiple triggers as zonecenters covering the same area, each set to spawn new Units to a condition set by yourself. But i do not recommend this unless you can make sure there will never be Units spawning in the back of the players.

Troops surrender can be made by using triggers, set one to determine when the the zone has activated (and Units are present) and switch a self defined variable to true. A second trigger can be set to fire off as soon the variable is true AND the units count is lower than a predefined number. Then you can launch a surrender script on activation.

@Spooner
Updated the A-CEP (finally). Wrote changes into the first post and actualized the file. I've decided to keep the demo mission on Sahrani because Rahmadi ist a bit too small in my opinion.

Myke out

sinchi runa

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2007, 23:35:23 »
thanks for the reply,

the only part of the response i understand is about having triggers... i been at this scripting 2 weeks now.. :confused:

have you played the evolution map? it has a random enemy unit generator and respawn that is attached to the radio tower and a commander of the city.

so long as the radio tower is there.. troops respawn.. when the tower is destroyed, no more respawns.. when the command is captured the remaining troops surrender...

granted capture is not needed.. just how such a trigger to a surrender script from the death of the commander and what it would look like.

however... your coop essentials is by far the best and easiest i have seen to date just the way it is.

just curious as to something like i mentioned above.

:)

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2007, 00:57:53 »
Myke, it would be a boon if you could arrange the package file structure so that the readme file (which is a hefty 0.75 meg) isn't with the mission scripts. If such a file is hidden amongst the scripts, rather than in a separate directory, some people might unnecessarily include the file with their missions and it is a fair size. Although 0.75 meg isn't too much for mission, it does seem a lot of space to waste.

Regarding the demo mission location, I was just meaning that you should use Ramadi if the scripts don't need the space on Sarahni to operate. For most scripts, it doesn't matter, but I see now that you are better off on Sarahni. Sorry!
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2007, 01:17:31 »
@Spooner

You're right, the readme is not a really small file and could easily overlooked in the script folder. Moved them out now, updated link above.

I thought a long time about placing the demo on Rahmadi but as you say, some things can't be shown on a too small area and for this, Rahmadi is IMHO too small. Double the size of the Island would be good.

@sinchi runa
I know Evolution (even if i'm not a fan of it, it contains great scripts and a unique idea) and i guess i know how it works. It uses a similar system, linked with present/not present triggers (guessing that, no idea if it's true). With the A-CEP you can achieve the Evolution effect also, it just needs a smart use of triggers. As the units in Evolution are created once a player approaches a Town and are deleted (reset) when no players near, you can do the same thing with a-cep too. Just can't give you a exactly "how-to" but playing around with triggers, conditions and a few variables should give the desired effect. Sorry for not beeing more concrete.

Myke out

Offline Liongreek

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2007, 16:21:54 »
OK sorry for reviving the topic, but I seem to have a strange problem. Sometime ago I used the dgc reloaded for a mission using addons. I changed the EAST units to the addons I wanted to use and all was well. When I tried to do the same with Coop essentials, though I use the correct syntax, I always get WEST teams spawning in the area I want.

Is there something else I should be doing differently than dgc reloaded?

Thanks

Never mind...
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2007, 10:05:10 by Liongreek »

Offline maxou

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2007, 17:55:15 »
Hi everybody,I used this pack script since 5 missions .
A great work also from Myke,Thanks...
And for the last I'm working on ,I would like to use civilian as ennemy.

When I use East side as ennemy,the pack works perfertly.And my problem is when I try to use civilian as ennemy.

I got errors messages:

I didn't modified any scripts inside the folder and I don't really know how to resolve that.

Thanks...
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2007, 17:57:48 by maxou »

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #13 on: 08 Dec 2007, 00:49:48 »
@maxou

I'm sorry, wasn't online for a long time (real life taking lots of time). I will go into this problem this weekend and see why this happens and where the error is located.

Myke out

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec 2007, 18:50:46 »
this is sweet  mate ...
gives a new dimension to co op game play

shit .. even i understand it ...  an excellent package

well done mate    :good:
"HOLY SARDINE" - see Shark-Attack meet his match