Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: About your leet spelling LCD...  (Read 5520 times)

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
About your leet spelling LCD...
« on: 12 Aug 2007, 12:38:19 »
Hi LCD,

looks like I'm making a new friend in you with discussing this in public but I'm a bit troubled by reading posts like this...
soldier shotin at chopper
is dere anyway 2 make a soldier shot at choppers w/ his gun Huh? i need it 4 a cutscene nd it seems my soldier just hates dat... also i tried 2 put a target in da air and make him fire at it and he refused 2... any suggestions Huh?

...from an OFPEC Staff member.

You're giving a bad example to new members with that spelling in your position,
make it hard for foreign members to understand your posts,
and when it runs rampant the board search will become inefficient over time.

I know you're able to write your mission overviews correct, so I would wish you could refrain from writing like this in general.  :)

Cheers Trapper

Maybe there are any other opinions about this?

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re: About your leet spelling LCD...
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2007, 17:20:28 »
LCD is a looooong time member of these forums and has always typed like that, and to be honest the number of people that have trouble understanding his forum posts is minimal and always has been.

We are proud to have LCD on staff, think about it, if he wasn't on staff he would be replying in the forums in exactly the same way.
What do you think we should do about that, ban him for not typing to some sort of standard, did you consider also that he may very well be a 'foreign' member himself.

If you cannot understand him just don't try too hard to read his posts, move on, most other people have little difficulty understanding him.

As long as his work in reviewing missions is up to standard then we have no qualms about having LCD on staff.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but we are entitled to ours too, and we are quite happy with LCD.  :yes:

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2007, 18:31:03 »
Maybe there are any other opinions about this?

Yeah...Do you personally know LCD? Is english his native language?  :scratch:

I don't personally know him, but I can't help but like him. He is very knowledgeable and helpful to anyone who asks.

AND, I get a kick out of LCDish and understand him completely.

BTW, I am just a kid too.......and have been for the past 56 years. 
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2007, 19:15:12 »
It maybe slightly different but thats LCD, everyone's going to have to live with it. It's not the end of the world lol. I understand his posts after reading them and also find LCD very helpful.
If he can't say what he wants (it's still english right?) then he probably wouldn't bother helping others knowing he has to change his style of writing all the time. His reviews have most likly had more time spent on them and therefore are written in good english. However, I find LCD a great guy no matter how he speaks!

You can honestly say you don't understand that example you posted Trapper?

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2007, 20:24:02 »
No way I'm requesting any punishment, and I'm able to understand all the many helping posts of LCD.
I'm just guessing English as native language because it would take me too much time to edit a proper post in my second language backward to leet.

Anyway I'm appealing to your conscience LCD.
When OFPEC is claiming for high standards, especially the staff has to work as vanguards for this.
As long as you continue with your writing style, it's hypocritical to advise a new board member not to use any hard to understand, stylish posting method. And the practical issue about spelling wrong in more and more posts, combined with the search function remains.

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2007, 21:16:11 »
I'm going to have to agree with Trapper on this.

I while ago I was thinking the same about LCD's writing style. I assume he writes in that kind of style because it's somehow "cool", not because he doesn't know how to write in English. It is not a "cool" writing style in my humble opinion. I find LCD's posts considerably slower for me to read than posts written in "normal English". While I have quite good skill in English, it takes me much more energy to read/listen or write/speak English than what it takes to use my native language. I can even feel myself physically tired after concentrating hard on a foreign language (this is a researched and proven fact that it actually happens, that's why in a business meeting you are automatically handicapped if the other side uses their native language and you don't, even if your language skill is very good). Now, if the "normal English" is switched to some weird style, this takes even more energy to read/listen. This being the case, posts written in the "LCD style" are the ones that are the most likely to be skipped and not read at all. This alone is a good enough reason for LCD to adjust his writing style towards the "normal English". He is in danger of getting ignored because of his writing style. I can understand what LCD writes, but as I said it's all too easy to just skip what he wrote as it really takes that much more energy to read his posts. I'd rather not have such hindrances in my way when I come to the forums to check what is going on here, and I think there is many more people who agree on this than just me and Trapper.

I am sorry I had to say this LCD, but I think I must give support to Trapper instead of remaining silent even when I agree with him. I really give value to individuals doing their thing, instead of being clones of other people. But in this case I think LCD should seriously consider adjusting himself to the situation, for the sake of other people.

I must say here that it is great that LCD is in the OFPEC staff and I wish him a long and enjoyable career at OFPEC.

And, like JasonO said, it's not the end of the World if LCD keeps on writing like he has done.

Offline firecontrol

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2007, 21:30:40 »
Not that what I say is of any consequence, I'm just a regular Joe, but...

I like LCD. :) Always offers up a helping hand whenever he can. I do have to agree that the style in which he writes is a little concerning to me, as I am usually very anal about the correct use of grammar and proper spelling. I can completely understand the difficulty in this if English is not your native tongue, so I usually make a concerted effort to not make a big deal out of it when I see it.

I was relieved to see that his reviews were well written in proper English, so it's not a sticking point for me to have him on the OFPEC staff. I have to agree though that the staff should be the public's first impression of this organization, and as such should portray themselves accordingly.

LCD, in my opinion, is a great addition to the staff. I don't see it as a huge detractor if his 'everyday posts' are written in LCD-speak. :)

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2007, 00:29:02 »
LOL  :D

dis response has 2 parts... 1 is LCD as a poster da oder is LCD as stafer

ill start w/ da stafer response.... its gonna b short nd official (nd writen in bad english :P)

[LCD as staffer]

dis thing was already discused alittle in da staff boards... it seems 2 have oposition and ppl who dont care... nd da resault was dat i may join da staf under da promise 2 do all da job posts in regular eng... nd i promise im gona do dat nd continue 2 do dat...

[LCD as LCD]

1st ting is dat english is my 3rd languge (outa 3 n half) me being speakin arabic n hebrew n english... nd lil bit spanish (even tho im gonna learn nd b probably fluent speaker durin da next year... wen im gonna move 2 cuba 4 some long time :P

as 4 it being harder 2 read my posts... nd make it ppl easier 2 ignore em... most of my posts r 2 help ppl (i do ask some qs but not dat much...) so its usualy worth 4 da person who asked 2 try nd read my post... nd if he doesnt is more of his loss dan mine  :P as 4 my Qs... i belive deres enough ppl who wil care 2 help me (me bein so inocent soul)

also dis is somin like character trait... like mandoble wont b mandoble if he wasnt 2 know all da comref by heart... and i wont b i unles ive been a bit krazy :D ;)

btw i deny ny conection 2 da leet lang... dis is an invention of american/english kids who spend 2 much time on da net... i wish i had as much free time as dem

in worst case u cud behave 2 me like an embarasin old granpa dat cam back from da crazyhouse... or watever its called :P
----------------------------------------

dis realy remind me of nda good old times wen every now nd den som1 wud pop up w/ dis thread  :P i wana realy say dat we shud respect traper 4 being a concerned citizen ;) :P nd i wanna thnak all da ppl who suported me... nd of course bado 4 writin such a long post.... I LOVE BEIN CENTER OF ATTENTION :P

dats all folks :D

enjoy playin ArmA/OFP nd dont let bad gramar ruin ur fun... only spelin ;)

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2007, 00:30:13 »
LCD is LCD.  That's who he is.  He doesn't want to change his style, and won't.  Like it or lump it.   Me?  I love it.   
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2007, 03:20:34 »
speakin arabic n hebrew n english... nd lil bit spanish (even tho im gonna learn nd b probably fluent speaker durin da next year... wen im gonna move 2 cuba 4 some long time

Oh lord......one of the US alphabet agencies is gonna be after me now (NSA  :shhh:, CIA  ???, XYZ  :cool2: ) jus for kinda knowin you.  :yes:

Who cares...they can stuff it. Does kinda shed some light on why ya usually do east side missions though.
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2007, 05:31:47 »
one of the US alphabet agencies is gonna be after me now

probably ;)

wenever my dad goes out of da country... he ndoesnt move thro da regular place security checks... at da enterance of da airport he goes 2 da 1st security guy nd has conversation dat is like dat....

my dad : tell ur supervisor dat im on da blacklist

security guard (SG from now on) : deres no blacklist

dad : i know... but do tel him

SG talks 2 his phone...

2 second later da supervisor rushes in nd takes my dad 4 a lil talk nd checks all his laguage

den dey walk us thro all da checks... nd do it faster dan if we were waitin in line... its practicly VIP treatment... my dad gets his own bodyguards inside airports... (nd dis saves time...instead of waitin in line nd wen my dad shows his pasport da checkin girls goes white nd calls security)

Does kinda shed some light on why ya usually do east side missions though.

I play 4 my side :P ;)

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2007, 09:44:02 »
Well, it was worth to mention my concerns at least.
And don't you all think that I don't like LCD, it's just the way of writing that worries me.  :)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #12 on: 13 Aug 2007, 10:45:38 »
I should have said, Trapper, that it was a fair comment.   Any constructive suggestions on how to make ofpec better are always welcome, even if they don't always come to anything.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #13 on: 13 Aug 2007, 11:40:54 »
I've seen one SMF forum with a very efficient spelling checker. It's fast and works well. Should be a standard SMF addon feature.  :whistle:
Not all is lost.

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2007, 11:08:07 »
Well I have to say... I laughed quite a lot now that I came to read what others have posted after my previous post.

Funny story about the airport security. I've always wondered what would happen if I would put some 'terrorist keywords' into the forum posts / emails I write. Would I end up in some secret CIA interrogation facility? It could be interesting to see how the process of interrogation is done in practice. Being from Palestine and speaking Arabic and Hebrew, or the word 'Cuba' are not related to terrorism in my honest opinion.

:scratch:

A spell-checker is a good idea and has been suggested before. Even if it wouldn't gain popularity from LCD, it could serve other people who'd like to use one.