Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Path Switcher  (Read 6398 times)

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] Path Switcher
« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2007, 16:52:29 »
Why should I change the readme name?

You don't have to, but we have enough readme.txts. I have / had a few at my desktop and it asked me to replace them during the extraction. That stuff can be prevent by making the readme name more unique.

And also, is the title on the overview really necessary?

Not required. But I find it good looking.  :cool2:

I locked the vehicles on purpose, so it wouldn't be too easy for the player.

Hehe, indeed. Took me more time this way ;). Good luck fixing stuff!
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2007, 11:05:57 by Cheetah »
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
  • John 21:25
« Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2007, 03:13:18 »
Project Beta latest version of Rellikki's Path Switcher:

Overview

Picture was fine.

BriefingIntro
Mission

Ok I was excited to try the new version Rellikki. This time I picked an M-14, probably the same difficulty using as the FN-FAL.  I asked Alvarez to join me and I positioned him on the hill as I swept around to the road.  I picked off a few SLA and then the others started running- Alvarez did his job and took down a bunch!! 

The other SLA tried to run around the river edge and flank me.  Alvarez & I finished them off and I crept up the bridge, silencing the machine gunner.  Blew up the bridge and sent a wounded Alvarez back to the hill so he would not die. (I did shoot him at the beginning to see if the mission would fail, and it did J)

The number of bad guys at the Radio Tower was much better, it was still a challenge but not frustrating and took me a few reloads but got it done.  Picked off a few bad guys from long range and yep, I used the Colt Anaconda as I closed in on the tower!  Got close enough and decide to use the RPG on it rather than the satchel charges.  After blasting it I ran away and finished the mission, 32 minutes, but it really took me an hour with reloads etc.    :blink:

Outro Conclusion

Well done Rellikki I like this new version much better. I was not frustrated by too many enemies and the new additions and Alvarez the mission was much improved.   :yes:

PROJECT BETA APPROVED
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2007, 08:12:30 by LCD »

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2007, 17:33:42 »
Thanks for the test, Lee.
I fixed the grammar issue in the briefing now and added some paragraphs as the other beta-testers suggested. I'm glad everyone has liked the interactiveness on the intro so far (to choose to go with Alvarez or not). I'm also glad to hear Alvarez came handy.
I have started recruiting voice actors for the mission, so if anyone's interested, head here.

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
« Reply #18 on: 17 Aug 2007, 01:02:00 »
Update v.1.02 released!

List of changes:

• Added voices
  • Changed the package format to zip
  • Added promo screenshots in the package
  • Fixed some enemy positions
  • Tweaked the briefing and overview a little
  • The whole bridge is now able to be destroyed with two satchel charges
  • Some minor tweakings here and there

Alright, the final version (hopefully) is out. If there aren't any issues to fix, then this will be the last version before the review. I tried to implement as many of your suggestions and ideas as possible. Grab it from the first post and have fun.

Offline firecontrol

• Members
« Reply #19 on: 17 Aug 2007, 09:35:27 »
Just gave 1.02 a whirl. :)

Package

All seems to be in order here. I especially like the second pic, with the RACS soldier looking toward the bridge. Nice post-processing effect on that one.  :good: .zip is good.

Overview

Again, good pic. Descriptive text. Just needs a version number (unless this is the final version, in which case I suppose it wouldn't matter much.) Would be cool to have the mission name up there in bold, too. Oh yeah, and is it "an RACS" or "a RACS"? I'm actually not sure which is correct.

Briefing

Good, descriptive briefing. Has all it needs, and is not crowded or lacking, given the situation. Pretty straightforward mission with a straightforward briefing. I would change "enemy's" to either "enemy" or "the enemy's position" though.
On loading the mission the "Get ready..." text is a little bland. Maybe add something with the "onLoadMission" command in description.ext?

I do love the M14 that is available! Nice refreshing new weaponry here. The RACS addon is a plus. Again, I'd love an M60 that I believe comes with this mod. ;)

Intro

I won't comment on the voices ;) but it's much better with some sound! Good intro that works itself into the mission well.

Mission

It's still really tough on veteran mode! Having Alvarez with me helped quite a bit, but I was nervous about getting him killed, so I left him up in the hill behind the rocks to give some cover fire. I couldn't quite manage on veteran mode, so I went back to cadet.

I like the choice to take Alvarez with me. Seems a little odd for a Sgt to be commanding an officer though. But I understand the dilemma here.

Here's where I'll mention the RACS mod again: I love the effects they added when bullets whiz by or strike the dirt near you. Sounds really cool. A plus to the mission.

Well, I managed to wipe all the bridge guards out (on cadet mode) eventually. I left Alvarez where he was out of paranoia, don't need him getting killed on me. Placed my three satchels on the bridge and picked up an RPG from a dead SLA soldier. I crossed the bridge (which is another reason I left Alvarez, he'd have gone swimming otherwise no doubt, unless I made him go the long way around to the north.) Here it seemed a little too easy... I saw a lone SLA grunt on a rooftop, looking the other way. So I snuck into the town and had a good view of the radio tower from inside a building. There was a group of four infantry near the tower which were easily dealt with. It took a couple of tries, but I managed to blow the radio tower up with a well-placed RPG to the top part of it.

I heard an alarm go off, and some enemy armor started up in the distance. Nobody really challenged my escape however. I simply ran out of the town, shot the guy on the rooftop, and ran back the way I came along the shoreline. Crossed the bridge again, and when at a safe distance I detonated the satchels. The bridge fell apart in one section (closest to the insertion point.) I made my way back to Alvarez and the exfil point, and the mission ended. All objectives checked off.  :good:

Mission complete: 26 minutes, 10200 score, 23 assorted infantry kills.

Outro

Nice! I liked the camera moving downward onto the mine in the road especially. It was nice to see the outcome of my work. A good sense of accomplishment is conveyed here. I didn't notice any stupid AI behavior, either. Only gripe may be that the center part of the bridge was destroyed in the outro, but I blew up the part closest to the insertion/extraction point.

Summary

Well done. No showstoppers, no errors. A short, straightforward mission that was just challenging enough, but maybe a bit too easy near the radio tower objective. (Although I must say I chose my route based on some recon I did from a distance through the binos, path of least resistance and all. I came into the town from the south/southeast... in between the bridges basically.)

I'd say it's worthy of calling "finished," but there could be some polish applied if you were so inclined. Nicely done Rellikki.

Project Beta Approved
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2007, 09:40:23 by Denz »

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
« Reply #20 on: 17 Aug 2007, 18:44:13 »
Thanks for the test, firecontrol. I'm glad everything worked well.
There might be different opinions about the difficulty, some think it's too hard, some think it's easy. You just need to find the best way to complete the objectives, you seemed to find the good way.
Hmm... since there wasn't anything serious, I think it's ready for review. Thanks for the tests, everyone. Much appreciated!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] Path Switcher (Review please)
« Reply #21 on: 18 Aug 2007, 12:46:13 »
I'll review this one.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] Path Switcher (Under Review)
« Reply #22 on: 29 Aug 2007, 14:36:42 »
Review completed.

Feel free to post your comments even now that the review has been completed.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2008, 12:08:52 by Cheetah »