Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: OPFOR voice pack  (Read 3353 times)

Offline Ae0n

• Members
OPFOR voice pack
« on: 08 Jun 2007, 16:16:05 »
We know how weird it is to hear an OPFOR ("east") unit giving orders to his teammate in perfect English.

Since BIS seem not much worried about it, I think it belong to the community to provide a OPFOR voice pack, but first I wonder how a such pack would interest you... because it is a long work (I cannot do it just myself) and I would give up if not enough support and interest.

About the language : Some people think it would be nice to have a Spanish voice pack for OPFOR, some others incline in favour of Russian voice pack. In my opinion, they should not -or unless if those communities release it themselves- Because the vanilia game doesn't very fit with a hispanic language, and OPFOR only have appearences and gear from ex-soviet bloc...not culture.
I looked for a kind of language wich could match with Sahrani. I've found "Esperanto" language

Esperanto is an universal-nationality language, simple and easy to learn. From my feeling it sound a bit latin with influence from eastern-europe language.
Advantage :
- Anybody can learn the pronounciation in few minutes, so greatly apprecied for voice actor  : It doesn't matter if you are English, Spanish, French, Italian, Polish, German, Czech, Rusian or anything else.
- Since there is no Esperanto master around, no one would notice and complain about linguistic mistakes due to the way the game-core manage sentence & grammar

I would recommend you to try this soft http://cursodeesperanto.org/kurso.exe
Or you can also visit this website http://www.lernu.net
Both are Esperanto tutorials, at least just check the pronounciation chapter if you wish to be a voice actor.

--

I could achieve to translate each English/Esperanto words, and then record my own voice for a first set... But it would be too poor with just 1 voice set, so I desperatly seek voice actors !
As I said before, it doesn't matter about where you from, and it doesn't matter if you have a high soprano thin voice (I will correct that post-prod). You only need a microphone and know how to record (simply .wav file). But be warned, this will not a quick and short recording job... (many words!many files! I guess that's the reason why we don't have yet any other OPFOR voice pack released).

---------

But first and for now : what do you think about this project, good? bad? Would you involve ?

PS: not yet recruitmenet - still project

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
Re: OPFOR voice pack
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jun 2007, 17:17:30 »
Sounds good  :good:
I think BIS themselves talked about how the Sahrani people would speak a Esperanto kind of language (or was it Spanish like, kinda Esperanto :P ), too bad they scrapped it (apparently)..
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline garrysl

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jun 2007, 05:20:16 »
How do u intend to do it
cuze i think the voice.pbo is protected

Offline wcrvieira

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 09 Jun 2007, 05:52:29 »
I find the idea very good indeed :)
I always found weird both sides speaking English, even RACS speaking English... Esperanto would be a nice add.

Good project, good luck :good:

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2007, 21:31:30 »
How do u intend to do it
cuze i think the voice.pbo is protected

It would be created by a mod folder probably, replacing voices.pbo when the game starts up. The same way sound packs load over ArmA sounds.

i think the voice.pbo is protected

It's not protected, you can edit it easily. However playing online with a modified one (an actuall modified file, not a mod folder overwriting it) can cause problems.

What I would like to know is how you would make it so OPFOR speak this.. and BLUFOR say that..  :blink:

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2007, 22:39:19 »
You just make the new voice profiles and then change the speaker voice for each of the east side soldiers..
In the bin/config..

I'm not even sure the pbo has to be called voice.pbo, but if it does the original voice profiles would probably need to be included.. :dunno:

Sadly I don't have the time to start learning any new languages right now..
I could probably offer some help on the other areas..  :dunno:

EDIT:
 :weeping:

Initial testings weren't very fruitfull, it seems ArmA doesn't really like mod folders having their own Dta/bin/config..
On the other hand, the detailed ins and outs of ArmA modding aren't exactly clear to me yet..
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2007, 13:01:35 by h- »

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2007, 15:21:25 »
I'm willing to help you along. I will voice act.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline Ae0n

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2007, 02:18:30 »
A mod folder would first imply original voices + new OPFOR voices gathered in a new single .pbo
Well, the original one is already 250 Mo....... thus it would practically be an undownloadable file(s)

Another way could be a moderate patch-updater for the original voice.pbo ("voice=[]" parameter and subclass from CfgVoice , + add new audio files) also for Dta\bin\config.bin ("speaker=" parameter in CfgWorld).
But results would conflict with various xxx.bi.bisign during MP session.
So only BIS could succeed a such upgrade, and seriously I don't expect them to come here and tell us "You fan-boys, do your best and if it's good enough we will assess"  :P

At this point I'm afraid I could not manage this project. Too bad  :sorry:

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2007, 21:15:42 »
It is possible, in the vain of your patcher idea, to write an installer program that would de-pbo the original voice.pbo in a temp folder and would 'slip in' those original voices while 'installing' the opfor voices..
Of course the opfor voices would be in some other form that a pbo 'inside' the installer.

Kegetys made a similar program for his Hi-Sky addon for OFP..
I can not write such a program though  :no:

Besides, a download sized something like 200-300Mb should not be a reason to drop such a project..

Offline garrysl

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2007, 20:09:57 »
:scratch:Hear this maybe U can make two voice set like adam & jhon now u make a batch to copy them until u have 15 voice sets the rename each one by script add an already edited config and use the cpbo to wrap it all with using the original OPFO R pbo name but placing it in a separate mod folder ADDONS or DAT so it wont del the original

Offline garrysl

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 08 Sep 2007, 16:11:04 »
Ill like to help if u need some

Offline Gotcha

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 08 Sep 2007, 17:48:48 »
I opened the voice.pbo found in the Addons-directory a while ago, and actually found a voice which is English with a Spanish accent. The voice was called "Eduardo" and as I remember it was not shown in the list when you tried to edit your profile. The voice only worked when setting player a new identity via description.ext and choosing the voice there. Also another voice, "Howard", could be used as a SLA-voice, since it sounds a bit different, despite being an American voice. Also, when opening voice.pbo with ArmA Un-Pbo, there was a list of voices with Spanish names, probably used by SLA AI soldiers, but I didn't manage them to work as a player's voice, perhaps they're lacking some commands.

My point is, much is hidden from the player in ArmA. Just remember OFP: Red Hammer. There were several Russian voices in the game, not available, hidden, which only could be discovered by opening Red Hammer campaign's .pbo and learning from there.  ;)  Maybe it's not necessary to make a OPFOR voice pack, maybe the voices are just hidden somewhere.
War isn't about who's right, it's about who's left.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #12 on: 08 Sep 2007, 18:06:53 »
Having the Sahrani people speak english with spanish accent would be so incredibly lame..  :scratch:
Just like the old american WW2 movies where the germans speak english with german accent  :D

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: 09 Sep 2007, 09:46:37 »
If you want some help to get the military aspect of it all, fear not, the US military has already given you bunches of commands:

http://kafejo.com/lingvoj/auxlangs/eo/maneuver/
(Wikipedia:) http://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armeo

Some more info on Esperanto/US military:

http://www.manions.com/archive/articles/a%20most%20unusual%20army%20manual.htm

Of course, if someone could actually find the WHOLE scanned manual, then the work of all y'all would be that much easier.  :D

If anyone has any other questions regarding Esperanto I might be able to answer them. I've done some studies.  :scratch: (This does not mean I know Esperanto though, I just know OF it).

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"