Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: News Broadcasting in mission  (Read 1912 times)

Offline digitaldragon

• Members
News Broadcasting in mission
« on: 01 Jun 2007, 15:49:34 »
Okay, this is my first post!  :good: (Although I have been visiting this site for a few years)

Right, now I've been editing missions for a few years now and I'm starting to get more ambitious. I'm currently making my own island based on UK and Ireland and a kick-ass free-roaming mission to go with it (Enemy occupies UK and you have to kill the president and take back the country).

No real problems with it yet except I want to add a feature that I've never seen before in custom missions. As you progress in your mission there will be news updates on events that have actually happened that day. For example - your resistence team invade a russian base, kill everyone and steal a tank or somthing. Later, back at the resistence camp the news is broadcast over the radio about the incident. Other events include one of your resistence camps getting raided/president visiting a certain place/conflicts with enemy patrols etc...

I KNOW THIS IS POSSIBLE! I have a fair idea of how it would work so tell me if I'm on the right lines. It would involve conditions that trigger sound files[news.sqs] that are linked to radios and play a certain time after an event.

I could probably queue the news stories aswell, if there are more than one.

What do you think?

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
Re: News Broadcasting in mission
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jun 2007, 20:31:27 »
Your project sounds very ambitious.  Hope it goes well for you.  Welcome to the community!

This radio bit should be quite simple actually.  You will have to record a sound file (.ogg) for each news release.  And then you place a radio object on a table or somewhere (name the radio "radio"), place some men around it, and execute this line of code whenever you want to play a radio message:

Code: [Select]
radio say "news_broadcast1"
news_broadcast1 would be the name of your .ogg file in the sound folder within your mission.

You would also need an entry in your mission description file for each news broadcast sound file:

Code: [Select]
class CfgSounds
{
sounds[] = {news_broadcast1, news_broadcast2};

class news_broadcast1
{
name = "news_broadcast1";
sound[] = {"news_broadcast1.ogg", db-20, 1.0};
titles[] = {0,""};
};
class news_broadcast2
{
name = "news_broadcast2";
sound[] = {"news_broadcast2.ogg", db-20, 1.0};
titles[] = {0,""};
};
};

If its "big news" you can place a lamppost or pole (I forget which object it is) that has speakers mounted at the top, and say the sound file from there (with camera focused on the loudspeaker).  This give the feeling of broadcasting big news to entire camp or town.

Examples of the radio and the speakers on poles I believe can be found in the intro to the Resistance Campaign.  I seem to remember he goes to a gas station, and there is a radio on the table broadcasting.  And later, when the invasion starts, the camera focuses on the loudspeaker pole for either an alarm or another broadcast.

And finally, if you upgrade to ARMA, you could do it TV style using the TV studio and news broadcaster that came with ARMA.  You would just have the broadcaster dude say the lines (for this you would want a .lip file for each sound file so his lip synch works).

If you are new to sound editing in OFP/ARMA, see the sound tutorials on this site to find all details for recording .wavs, converting to .oggs, and creating .lips from .wavs.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2007, 20:37:46 by johnnyboy »
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jun 2007, 01:00:32 »
Doing a TV style thing is possible in OFP too with some work. Check out my mission in the OFP Beta depot: Falling Stars. And watch the intro.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jun 2007, 08:11:57 »
That's right.  Cheetah staged a very cool "amatuer" broadcasting studio in Falling Stars ("amatuer" by design, it was quite humorous).  Well worth checking out this mission.
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jun 2007, 08:34:16 »
I've worked a little bit in commercial TV news...that intro reminds me quite a bit of some things that actually happened :D

There's also a TV overlay which can be used to make any scene look like it's being aired on an older TV screen.

Offline digitaldragon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jun 2007, 18:45:45 »
It sounds ambitious but in fact most of the actual core mission is complete. I just need to finish off my UK map and paste in the mission. I gotta be honest, most missions I make I get bored of after a short while but this one has still got my full attention. I will be making all new models for it (such as Big Ben, Stone Henge, Angel of the North etc) to make it that much more interesting and unique. One of my favorite features includes a military scrapyard where if you're lucky you can find a tank or a chopper, fix it up and away you go.

I've used Goldwave before and always convert my files with that but I've only ever used annonymous music but radio sounds arn't that difficult to work. I was thinking that the station could also broadcast the weather for the next day just to give it that extra bit of realism.

I know about the wait command but is there any way that you can get scripts to kick in at specific times (eg. 10.30pm)?

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jun 2007, 19:25:02 »
DigitalDragon,

Pelas refrain from post editing related question in this board.
This board is for MISSION IDEA'S only.

Thanks
Rhysduk
Reviewed Missions Board: Please Read the User's Guide before posting!

Pride and Joy 1 (HW100-T)

Offline digitaldragon

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 03 Jun 2007, 19:38:33 »
Ok. I will move my scripting q's to somewhere more relevant.

So forget about the scripting time question - has anyone ever made a UK map or any other country for a new mission?