Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] 'Nam: Mau Lat  (Read 12013 times)

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
(Review Completed) [SP] 'Nam: Mau Lat
« on: 30 May 2007, 12:18:25 »
Mau Lat
Version 1.0 Release Candidate
By Hawkins

What you need to play:
Jungle Fever mod - http://hawknam.net/forum/index.php?topic=44.0 (I link to this thread because the mod might get updated)

CSJ's Hueys & Medevac - http://hawknam.ofptf.net/Bunker/CSJuh1.rar
or: http://ofpnam.com/download.php?view.113

Editor Upgrade - http://hawknam.ofptf.net/Bunker/EditorUpgrade102.zip

OFP Res v.1.96
Game from the store and the update from:
http://www.flashpoint1985.com

Overview:
A recon team has gone missing in the highlands, in a valley called Mau Lat. Your team is sent in to find out what happened. On top of that, there is a rumour that the valley is haunted...

Includes:
  • Intro
  • Outro Win/Lose
  • Briefing
  • Overview
  • Voices (Now with FULL VOICE ACTING!)
  • Music

To be included in later versions:
  • None

Other comments:
This mission isn't your usual walk in the boonies. It includes insipiration and ideas taken from Apocalypse. Now and R-Point, both good 'Nam movies.
Originally made for the Unsung mod Demo II, this mission was never released for it. It was originally tested by the Unsung team members. Many changes have been made to the mission since then, and I feel a new betatest is in order.
You can check my other 'Nam mission by going to my website, http://hawknam.ofptf.net
If the above link doesn't work, send me an e-mail, if you want, to see if the site is still up.

Here's the download link:
http://hawknam.ofptf.net/Missions/Mau_Lat.rar
~6.20mb
Mission updated 12/16/07, 2127 hours
Finnish time, GMT +2

All suggestions/comments will be appriciated!

Hawkins

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available, with links to required addons, from the Missions Depot.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2011, 00:36:49 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
Re: 'Nam: Mau Lat (SP)
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2007, 21:12:02 »
Good to see you still working on JF  :good:

The link to the mission isn't working mate, I'll have a pop at this over the weekend if I have a chance and you sort the link out.

Cheers
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jun 2007, 11:37:41 »
Damn, wrong file extentsion, should've been rar. Link should work now. :)

Yep, I just can't drop this project. ;) I'm trying to pull myself together and make the next update really be the last, and finish off the campaign I've been making for it, and which originally started the mod.
Eagerly waiting for your review mate!

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jun 2007, 00:20:01 »
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2007, 21:41:11 »
Sorry for the late reply mate, been away on entry exams for uni. :)

Thanks for the review! Glad to hear I got you back from the guts of the arma monster! Getting sucked that way a bit myself, but still coming back for OFP because of the 'Nam. But, just you wait what we have in store for you in the new arma scene. ;)

I think the cutscene blackout might just be the thing that's needed. At first I had the rest of the team detach from the player, and go on about their own business, but I was adviced that some players want to have control over their men, so I removed that. I could place them along the wall, and still have them on the players team. I wonder if they would stay in place, and the player has to didi the area pretty quick once he is told to, and it makes me wonder  if the poor bastards can get off the wall without too much damage. :) Might be worth the shot though.

Thanks for testing mate! Be on the lookout for the sequel. ;)

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2007, 09:22:35 »
Just to keep you guys posted, I haven't stopped working on this mission. Been busy finishing the mod up. I've done some updating on the mission and will post a new version for downloading within the next couple of days. :good:

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2007, 13:48:20 »
Well took myself from the neck and did the small updates to the mission. New version uploaded, same link as before.

I added some more music into the mission, and removed the gooktalk soundfiles as they are now included in the Jungle Fever mod. There's some music that should add to te jungle athmosphere and eerie feeling. They came out rather well I think, but let me know what you think. :)
The players squad should now be placed on top of the ruin walls when "certain things happen." ;)

As always, comments and feedback are welcome!

:clap:

Offline Denz

« Reply #7 on: 03 Aug 2007, 14:55:44 »
Finally got around to trying this mission.

Intro
That was an Intro! I was nearly off to the kitchen to microwave some popcorn.
It set the spooky atmosphere for the mission nicely.

Mission (just notes)
By the time I got to the ruins the eerie environment had me really tense, I was jumping at every shadow and cloud of mist and I'd only killed two Vietnamese I'd come across on the trail. Then I found Edwards... my heart was in my mouth and I was riveted. I am partial to missions with a good story and planty of atmosphere.

Typo> in the sentence where one of your men talks about the "skeletons with the new AKs" you need a space between "how" and "come"

Hit a bug> When given the order to head West to the LZ by the Marines the 3 remaining members of my squad were stuck.
After trying for a couple of minutes to bash the AI loons out, I gave up and preceeded to the LZ on my own. Where I promptly died in a hail of bullets.
So I didn't complete it, but man I enjoyed it.
I've got 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside!
Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, SOG Recon One-Zero
24/09/41 - 24/04/69

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #8 on: 04 Aug 2007, 21:08:37 »
Thanks for playig Denz! I'll check that bug with the AI. I tried to place them on the walls but it seems that wasn't such a good idea. I'll fix that ASAP. ;)
Glad to hear you like the athmosphere. I've worked extensively to make the mission very enjoyable for the player. :)

Thanks again! Will fix that typo and the problem with the AI as soon as possible.

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #9 on: 06 Aug 2007, 03:29:56 »
Hey Hawkins, mate! How's life? Been quite a while!

I've been meaning to give this a try but the wireless is slow, so DLing addons has been a pain! But I plan to give it a wack tonight!
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #10 on: 06 Aug 2007, 15:05:06 »
A fantastic mission, Hawkins! I really enjoyed this one!

Just a few things:
  • I could hardly see the overview links because of their color.
  • At the temple, my chaps on the wall wouldn't fire. Period. Got two or three of them killed because of that too.
  • I was setPosed onto the wall before the black out and it didn't actually black out. Just blacked in so it seemed to skip.

I have to say that this was great atnosphere. All of the hairs (quite litterally - i looked like a porcupine) were sticking up at the temple, and when the VC attacked us I was pretty well worried! I ran like hell when they told us to go. At the LZ all of my men got cut down, and I got a mission failed because my RTO died.

I retried the ending about 10 or 20 times (:P) and I could never kill all of the VC... Can you actually win the end? :D

Great mission!
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #11 on: 09 Aug 2007, 11:26:32 »
Hey Tyger! Life's good, starting uni this fall, and still trying to mod and play OFP (and ArmA sometimes) as much as I can.

I could hardly see the overview links because of their color.
I'll fix the overview link colours. Dunno of a way but I'll dig deep to find one. ;)

At the temple, my chaps on the wall wouldn't fire. Period. Got two or three of them killed because of that too.
Yea I noticed that bug too after MrN's test. Has been fixed.

I was setPosed onto the wall before the black out and it didn't actually black out. Just blacked in so it seemed to skip.
Fixed. Good spot! :good:

I retried the ending about 10 or 20 times  :P and I could never kill all of the VC... Can you actually win the end?  :D
Some people have said the ending is way too easy to win. :D I really don't know, since for me it has been ups and downs while testing. I was thinking of adding some more cover for the player in the LZ for him to duck in at. So yes, it can be won, end the outro win is a pretty mysterious one. ;)

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #12 on: 09 Aug 2007, 15:20:36 »
I'll fix the overview link colours. Dunno of a way but I'll dig deep to find one.
If not, don't worry too much. My LCD monitor's colors are much different from my CRT's, and I just switched recently, so maybe it's just it'll take some getting used to.

Is the next version up?

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #13 on: 09 Aug 2007, 19:04:19 »
Not yet, gonna update it today and upload the new version this evening or sometime tomorrow. I'll post again when the new version is up for grabs. ;)

The link colours in the overview can also be because of dxdll. I've had some problems with it in the past, since it makes the game more bright at palces.

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #14 on: 09 Aug 2007, 19:06:29 »
The transparent water thing and all that stuff? If so, I don't run that.  :P I really just need to sit down and tweak the LCD colors sometime. :D

And looking forward to the next version then! JF is a great mod!  :good: