Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: secret objective  (Read 1732 times)

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
secret objective
« on: 24 May 2007, 17:21:06 »
tis is some kinda poll about secret objectives.... right now im building a mision dat will have some secret stuff you can do  :D... now da question is shud i make da players team member hint 4 dat stuff of let da player try to think about it on his own ??? or mainly do u think da player will ever think of anything usefull if i dont tell him nything about it ? :P

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
Re: secret objective
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2007, 17:39:51 »
Very small clues are good.

But
da players team member hint 4 dat stuff
if i understand that correctly, then its not really a secret then is it?

A mission that makes the player thinka lot more about his actions is a good idea in my eyes.
Go for it.

Rhys
Reviewed Missions Board: Please Read the User's Guide before posting!

Pride and Joy 1 (HW100-T)

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2007, 22:49:39 »
i donno as im building a simple mision but i wanna reward da player for doing stuff like shoting da Com radio b4 da enemy reach and disable reinforcments... but what is da posibility dat a player will shot da item dats in camp as his 1st target ?

LCD OUT

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2007, 23:55:00 »
Make sure the player knows that your mission holds some secrets and should try logical stuff. Tell a story in the briefing about how important the enemy radio station is for example, at least a few players should understand the secret.

Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2007, 16:01:40 »
or  mention it  in  notes ...
"HOLY SARDINE" - see Shark-Attack meet his match

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2007, 20:37:23 »
As above. The briefing should hint that there are "hidden" solutions. You might also give them a little hint when they complete a solution. You do not tell them what the solution will do, but you tell them they found it. For example, when the player destroys the radio have:player groupChat "No one will be using that radio ever again."

[digression]Speaking of realism... I once made an MP mission where players had to act and think on their feet, and it was generally reviled. I remember the first time I played it with others on the server. The mission opened with the players in cargo in heli flying to LZ. A dialog between the AI pilot and  gunner said the helicopter was smoking and then on fire. Throughout this dialogue there were increasing smoke effects and then fire effects which could be seen from inside the heli (was night time). Just as the windows on the heli cracked from setting damage high enough, players could hear fire sounds and themselves screaming in pain. The pilot then declared he was losing control of the helicopter. Flames were obviously engulfing the heli. Nobody except me bailed out. I had also used a HALO script (though in this case LALO, lol); the next time we played and people knew they had to bail but they did not open their chutes even though  "Pull chute" was in their action menus. After pulling my chute I watched their flaming corpses plumet to the ground screaming.

I had scripted objectives that changed dynamically, but everyone complained they didn't know what to do, even with a big hint that said "Objectives and Map Updated" they did not bother to read the updated briefing.

At least in SP players will actually read the brief.[/digression]
« Last Edit: 29 May 2007, 20:45:53 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2007, 00:34:45 »
LOL  :clap:

no one can beat st00pidity m8 trust me on that :P

im gonna make big hint about it in briefing... and if ppl wont notice... no damage done :P

LCD OUT

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2007, 01:01:15 »
I love  a mission that surprises me and rewards free thinking and initiative.  The downside is some players will never see the payoff.

Subtle hints are cool, like in the briefing or intro, you can add "Additionally, use your own initiative to disrupt the enemy."  The disruptions can take the form of destroying communications, destroying a fuel station, mining a road (all of the preceding might be good for delaying enemy reinforcement for example).

In game hints are good too, like overhearing two enemy guards talk about inbound armor that is low on fuel, or "the radios are jammed, so land-line phones are our only communication", etc.
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...