Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: If I edit in ArmA, my PC stucked for 3sec in every minutes  (Read 3361 times)

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
I know it's offtopic, but I can't find the exact place where can I ask...

I working with ArmA (mission editing) about a month ago. And when I play, everything is fine. But when I edit a mission, the ArmA (and my all PC) stucked for 3-4sec in EVERY minute. The mission designers sometimes change back to the desktop (Alt-Tab) for edit scripts or see something in the Biki. And the effect (stuck) happened there too... The Notepad, the browser(Biki) also stucked for 3-4 sec if ArmA run in the backround.

It's very-very annoying!
Could anybody help me, how can I stop this "feature"???

BTW: There is no internet connection on my home (ArmA) PC. And I feel this stuck, because ArmA try communicate on internet, but couldn't. Is it possible?

Fix bayonet!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: If I edit in ArmA, my PC stucked for 3sec in every minutes
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2007, 17:41:29 »
Mission editing in full screen is a no-no for me as I don't have powerful PC, well to be honest my PC sucks and barely runs ArmA :). Anyway, as you say, editing most of the time requires internet / opening scripts etc which would result in a lot of alt-tabbing. To prevent this I run ArmA in windowed mode (with Kegetys' launcher). Works fine for me, you could try it too.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2007, 20:58:54 »
I do the same as Cheetah.

You can use Kegetys' launcher or you can just simply put -window in the shortcut of ArmA. (EG:"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma.exe" -window)

Also, how much cpu is ArmA taking? Open task manager and have a look. If its getting high then ArmA might be running out of resources and that would explain the small pauses.

Offline Jester_UK

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2007, 21:31:48 »
BTW: There is no internet connection on my home (ArmA) PC. And I feel this stuck, because ArmA try communicate on internet, but couldn't. Is it possible?

It's nothing to do with the internet. I get the same thing irrespective of whether there's an open internet connection or not.

What's the spec of your PC?
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2007, 11:09:55 by bedges »

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2007, 08:21:58 »
@Cheetah: I will try it, but I feel this is not my problem. My problem is - just a feeling - ArmA try do something (maybe connect to the internet) in every minutes. My hardware can run ArmA, the 3D engine smoothly. But when I in the editor (a 2D map, no need processor or 3D accelerating), all Windows halted for 3-4 sec in every minutes. I can't move the cursor in the ArmA editor, or I can't type in a Notepad... etc.

Yesterday I patch up my ArmA to 1.05 and I saw the problem will be better twice. Now "only" in every two minutes halted for 3-4 sec.

@Jester: P4 2.4, 1Gb RAM, Gef6600GT 128Mb
Fix bayonet!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2007, 12:22:28 »
So your whole computer freezes every few seconds when editing in ArmA? Do you have a Plextor DVD drive?
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2007, 12:52:30 »
Nope. I have a Sony and a NEC.
Fix bayonet!

Offline Jester_UK

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2007, 14:58:33 »
Bardosy your PC is almost the same spec as mine. Only difference being I've got an ATI 9800Pro 128MB.

My guess is that the problem is hardware related where ArmA is trying to load more info than can be accomodated.

Considering that in the editor if you use the preview button to enter the mission, the loading time is very short, my guess is that even though you're working in a 2D environment in the editor, the 3D world is being loaded and modified in realtime behind the 2D interface. If this is the case the problem is probably due to the 128MB RAM on our respective GFX cards.

It would be interesting to hear whether owners of higher spec GFX cards have a similar problem.

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2007, 15:28:10 »
Well, I have a ATI Radeon 9700Pro, 128mb and do not have this problem.

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2007, 16:10:39 »
@Jester_UK

I don't think so. I have no evidences, but I feel youre wrong:
When I put the player unit in South Sahrani and press the Preview, the ArmA start loading the environment in shouth sahrani and THEN the mission specific things.
If I abort the mission and press the Preview button, the mission start almost inmediately.
BUT:
If I abort the mission and remove this player unit to north sahrani and press the Preview, the ArmA start load the north sahrani environment and later the mission and THEN can I play.

So I don't think so, the ArmA preload the 3D environment until the 2D editor.
Fix bayonet!

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2007, 19:06:41 »
I have a similar problem using the editor.  After about 10 or 15 minutes of editing and previewing, the performance and graphics get worse and worse, then ARMA eventually crashes.

It looks to me like a memory leak bug, where each time you change and preview a mission, more memory is consumed.  Memory from previous preview is not released, so it keeps using memory until performance degrades, eventually freezing or crashing.

That's my theory anyway!
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline Jester_UK

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2007, 19:43:27 »
The memory leak is a possibility and Cheetah not having the problem on a card with the same ammount of RAM certainly blows my theory out of the water.

I'm out of ideas here sorry guys. Hope we do get it sorted though cos as Bardosy says it gets quite irritating after a while.

Offline SaBrE

• Members
  • I was once a Llama
    • www.Armed-Assault-Zone.com
« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2007, 21:40:35 »
I had this problem with the review copy of the game I got before release (I'm special :P ). However, with the 505 version it went away. I know ArmA doesn't like overclocking and I heard of it causing these symptoms. Otherwise a patch will sort you out soon as they fixed this problem in its first case :)
Can you HELP?

Offline Jester_UK

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2007, 21:58:18 »
Well I'm running the 505 version (updated to 1.05) and have no overclocking.

Not quite following the bit about the patch Sabre.

Offline Trash Can Man

• Members
  • We are no longer the knights who say "Ni!"
« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2007, 00:31:21 »
My friends and I had similiar problems in the past. Ever since I bought the U.K. version of the game, the problem went away. I previously had a downloaded version I paid for through sprocket. It sounds like you might not have enough onboard Video memory. I've seen this game in action under the barest of computer requirements and it ran just fine. I hope you get it sorted out.

TCM