Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Last Hope  (Read 12277 times)

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] Last Hope
« Reply #30 on: 02 Aug 2007, 00:30:56 »
Shark, mathias, thanks for your comments! I'll take a look at the bugs shark, thanks for mentioning them here.

So you didn't run into any new bugs mathias (other than those mentioned)?  :blink:

Glad that guys enjoyed it!
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #31 on: 03 Aug 2007, 01:27:03 »
Sadly an almost sudden ending no outro
Indeed, needs Blufor reinforcements coming into save the day? Or transport coming in to take the player out. Just something other than a sudden end.

All completely my opinion, feel free to ignore.  :P

Cheers
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #32 on: 03 Aug 2007, 01:35:20 »
Thanks for the test MrN. Hehe, the mission isn't one of high quality. Hope to improve it, however I'm starting to get a bit tired of the damn AI. They refuse to listen to my scripting commands in this mission.

Anyway, bugs noted, will try to improve the mission.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #33 on: 03 Aug 2007, 01:39:38 »
the mission isn't one of high quality.

I disagree with that, the feel, setup, briefing, mechanics (triggers) were all fine. It "felt" like a good mission, it just didn't quite play right. Maybe you're overscripting the loons.  ???

I know I came across a bit grumpy but that's the nature of beta tests and me really. ;)

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #34 on: 03 Aug 2007, 01:49:52 »
Nothing wrong with your report. To be honest, I feel that the current version of Last Hope beats the previous one, but still, it's lacking. However, I can't add the magical ingredient to make the mission feel good.

Overscripting? I script their retreat, loop containing a doMove and setCombatMode (hold fire, personal defense only). Guess that's not really overscripting. But the problem is that the AI can't make a decent strike on their own. Guess I'll have to add some magical stuff which throws the balance off and tips the scales in favor of the SLA. Have a few ideas on how to achieve that.

I find it hard to determine the right defenses for the artillery. Sandbags can't be used close to the artillery as they make the guns shoot at them thus killing the gunners. Stationary MGs are already there, but can be eliminated too. Guess my only option will be to play a bit with some infantry squads and limited the backup the player gets.

Anyway, I want to improve the intro and add an outro to add to the atmosphere of the mission. However, the search for the magical ingredient used in the mission will be continued ;).

Again, thanks for the test MrN! I appreciate your feedback.

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #35 on: 04 Aug 2007, 23:39:27 »
Just finished it today

Nice intro.

Took me two times....the arty got me when I tried to take em out the first time. Got smarter and flanked em the second time.

Was fun and a very target rich environment.  :o

Good briefing, short and to the point.

As MrN says, the Ai did a crappy job of defending the guns. Maybe a squad or two using Kronsky's UPS???, guarding the guns.

Nice mission.
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #36 on: 05 Aug 2007, 02:23:54 »
Thanks for the gentle comments nixer. Thinking about what to do in order to improve the mission, the biggest problem is getting the AI to do something smart ;).

Anyway, I'll try to produce a new version soon. Before the beta testing party ;).

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #37 on: 31 Aug 2007, 19:35:13 »
Version 0.96 released!

The mission should be more difficult as 0.95 was too easy. The final four voices will be added in a future version.

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #38 on: 04 Sep 2007, 20:08:22 »
Version 0.96b released. Should be ready for a, hopefully, final test.

Changes:
0.96 -> 0.96b
- full voiceover
- tweaked assault

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #39 on: 15 Sep 2007, 11:28:48 »
Could anyone run a last check to see if things work?

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #40 on: 15 Sep 2007, 11:54:22 »
sometime dis week :D

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #41 on: 18 Sep 2007, 11:44:39 »
ok i beta tested most of it 8-) but i have a prob... it seems every time i save (twice, both hapened after rienforcment arrived, when i was in hiding, didnt try @ oder timez...) da savegame becomes curropted... even dat savegame trick thingy doesnt help (export da save restart nd import it....)

but heres da rest of beta

package

1) u need 2 thank da beta testers :P

overview

:good:

Intro

1) @ da start da cam passes thro a soldier

Brief

1) my soldiers r privates but r expert skilled....
2) i sugest addin callsigns 4 da groups.... 4 da lil radio chater da hapens around :P

Mision

1) da AGS UAZ is a real killer... makes mision hard... but i did manage 2 deal w/ it in da end
2) it cud b nice if u add a shel shock effect 4 da arty part (in case a shell explodes near da player...) i know dere was 1 made 4 OFP mebe u cud import it...
3) make da UAZ driver go out of da vehicle when his gunner dies... else he stays driving around nd looks st00pid :P
4) both my soldiers r ineffective :P donno cant seem 2 find a post were deyll shot da enemy nd not get killed str8 from da start...
5) it cud b nice 2 have a medic or medtent somwere near da start... in case of getin hit by a arty shell
6) i donno y da rienforcments needed help, dere was nothing botherin em dere  :confused:
7) how do i make da help rienfocments tick ? dey all landed nd nothing hapened...
8) now dat i had som time 2 look @ da lay-out i wanna ask y my group is da only pl on da frontier of da camp ? :P
9) also deres 1 radio dat is only half voiced.... when da comander tels me 2 help da rienforcments everything after from corporal 2 da end is mute...

mebe som1 can tel me y da mision keeps on crashin... but right now dats wat i can give u :P

LCD OUT

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #42 on: 22 Sep 2007, 02:31:23 »
ok i replied it some more... saves still wont work so i havnt finish it... but i got further (into da enemy pos that is...)

ill start from da rienforcments part

1) some of da rienforcment soldiers dont carry guns... they r probably unloaded inside the water by the boats... u shud fix that (ill send u a function if u want :P
2) the rienforcments advance really slow... give them an aware move WP into town and have them slowing down there...
3) the saves still wont work :P (even tho retries do work... mebe u cud make a check 4 da players name and if he is called nur bar give me a couple of retries over radio ? :P)
4) i just noticed that da captain is called captain 1... u can change it 2 just captain ;) :P
5) it cud b realy nice 2 have a medic availble after thee rienforcments arrive (or actualy thro da whole mision :P mebe a med tent or somin...) cuz when the 1st objective ticked off i already got shot 3 times... hit by arty 1ce and a friendly M113 run over me  ::)
6) have da f00kin enemy all retreat... most of em went away  :good: but there was still a squad i had 2 clear off (da squad included a UAZ ags... it was hell....)
7) when da cpt sens me 2 disable arty it cud b nice 2 have couple oif soldiers from the rienforcments joinin me :D
8) actualy i think dat in da radio msg i was promised choper suport :P were is it ?
9) when i assaulted the arty i used the UAZ ags... made it alot easier :D i did get shot by a crewman from the BMP (i destroyed it w/ my ags) but most of tha soldiers were static... remember 2 fix tdat (a reveal command shud work)
10) i realy needed a medic :P

LCD OUT

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: 30 Sep 2007, 16:51:13 »
Hi Cheetah! My opinion on v0.96:

Intro, Overview and Briefing are still good.

The mission is even a bit more intense I think. Looks like the first wave has even more soldiers and the tank is also new, right? I found out that the only way to survive was to hide in a sandbag bunker and to snipe most of the enemies from there. It was still interesting and intense tough. Then I headed out for the additional artillery objective (completely missed the optional objective in the chaos). The arty was way more difficult than in the last version and that was not such a good thing, because I resorted to trial-and-error search of the right spot in the landscape where I would have just enough cover from cannons, MGs and UAZ-MGs while warding off enemy infantry. In the end, I managed to kill the guarding tank from the completely flat ground as I crawled to the western hills from the eastern hills in order to shoot the last cannon. That caused a massive secondary explosion, killing the remaining enemies at the base.

However, the mission would not end, and the cannon objective would not tick off. The only different thing I did was to kill the last cannon with an RPG, whereas I shot the gunner of the other three with my sniper rifle.

Hope this helps,

Mathias

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #44 on: 01 Oct 2007, 00:01:18 »
So you didn't actually destroy the other three guns?