Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: To all Addon Makers  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Pellejones

• Members
  • Yes, well... what?
To all Addon Makers
« on: 23 Feb 2007, 00:04:31 »
I am a long time fan of OFP and just got my copy of ArmA. I find the community and all the addons/mission makers to be excellent when it comes to contributing new material to these games. I am a mission maker myself, but not an addon maker.

The one thing I have noticed is that for some reason most people make units for WEST side (or BLUFOR in ArmA?). Almost none for EAST and the same for the Independent. Sure it is fun to play West, but it would be great to have some units for East too! Or even better, the rebells (independent side) because you can choose which side they are on.

So this post is a plead to all addon makers...

If you are creating a unit that is suitable for either West or East (like mercenaries), even if it suits West better than East (but it could pass as an East unit, if it really has to), please make it a Rebel instead. Or at least make two version of it (one west, one east).

Offline Terox

• Former Staff
  • Follow the Sappers!
    • zeus-community.net
Re: To all Addon Makers
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2007, 19:09:25 »
When creating an addon, if you want your work to be used by any modding teams then it is strongly advisable to create your addon using 2 .pbo's

one for the config
one for the model

This way you dont have to release any source code, and the mod teams can configure the vehicle/unit/weapon/object to balance with the rest of their content with their own custom config

Just a thought ! :)
Zeus ARMA2 server IP = 77.74.193.124 :2302
Teamspeak IP = 77.74.193.123

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
Re: To all Addon Makers
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2007, 15:06:16 »
If you are creating a unit that is suitable for either West or East (like mercenaries), even if it suits West better than East (but it could pass as an East unit, if it really has to), please make it a Rebel instead. Or at least make two version of it (one west, one east).

I can't agree on that one, since it's a little bit waste of memory size.

There's an easy way to use units from one side for another side:

E.g: you want to use west units but on eastern side.

Just create an east unit with a higher rank than the west units and set his probability of presence to 0.
Now group the west units with the east unit (F2 and drag a line), and they will be fighting for the east
but looking like the wests.

In OFP there was that 12 units per group limit which again limited this method to have only 11 west units
playing as eastern in one group, but especially in ArmA, where there's not such a 12/group limit it doesn't
matter anymore. ;)

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted