Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Why Tonal is so laggy...?  (Read 3006 times)

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
Why Tonal is so laggy...?
« on: 07 Sep 2006, 09:45:19 »
I played some missions and campaigns on Tonali island, but never made missions on it. Yesterday I started making one, but I found it so laggy.
There is no huge armies, just a small delta force squad and three tonali government squad. (And other three or four government squad one mile away). And the fight is very laggy. And when DF recive reinforcement (three ranger squad) and created four tonali government squad, the fps falling to 1-2.

This is not my first mission, I usually use addons (LSR, RHS (very detailed addons)) and only missions are laggy if fight two huge armies with 10-10 squad. So I don't understand... What is the problem? What is laggy? The Tonal island or tonali government squads or what?
Fix bayonet!

z80

Re: Why Tonal is so laggy...?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2006, 01:00:15 »
The game engine ...its no longer as it should be due to changes in drivers and newer hardware, i am about to do some major testing with various windows/directx/driver versions on a clean partition. So far i have tested xp sp2 and extreme driver  cut to a bare minimum with hardly any hardware enabled besides sound and video and all other stuff removed, it wasnt as impressive as it should have been.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 2006, 01:44:12 »
Tonal is known for being very laggy. Try reducing your settings, especially view distance,  and see what happens.
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2006, 17:04:02 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #3 on: 08 Sep 2006, 14:39:23 »
z80: I know this. But the other islands (BIS and 3rd party) is not so laggy, than Tonali.

Mr.Peanut: Thanks. This is the answer what I search: "Tonal is know for being very laggy"  :D
Fix bayonet!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #4 on: 08 Sep 2006, 15:10:39 »
The problem is that Tonal is large and good.   It has a large number of high quality objects.   This means that your computer is struggling to handle everything.     Click the ShowIDs button in the mission editor and find the object with the highest number.   Now do the same thing for, say, Everon.   See what I mean?

Missions designed for Tonal must be ruthless in keeping things to a minimum.    Keep the viewdistance low so that the computer has fewer objects to handle.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
  • where's the ultra-theoretical mega-scripting forum
« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2006, 15:26:53 »
Tonal was an ambitious project, and the results it produced were both engaging and frustrating.

It was engaging because it's practically a new game, with a completely fresh and interesting environment, and great sights for combat.
But it's frustrating 'cos it's so slow.
Yes, part of it is the sheer number of object on the island. But it's more than just objects. The map itself (24.6x24.6km) is double the size of a regular OFP island. The textures and the 3D models are all over what the "standard BIS" maps have -- the thinking was: "2 years after the original release, we should be able to have a higher minimum standard".
Then there's the AI: to encourage longer, "more realistic" firefights, the AI is given "high dispersion" ammunition. Firefights last a lot longer, and many more AI get involved in the slugfest. So when you have units in contact, the CPU load is higher -- not just from the bullets flying through the air, but from the calculations involved in all those AI that haven't died.

You can debate the logic of the "increasing standards" without resolve: one side will point to continuously improving computers; the other will argue that OFP comes with performance expectations regardless of addons. But the real frustration of Tonal is the pairing of a much-larger-than-normal battlespace with a requirement for far fewer entities in it.
Dinger/Cfit

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2006, 10:09:47 »
I have an other question: In Tonal there is three airport (or more, but I found these three) but the AI can take off only the main (center) airport. Is it true?
I try to force a government SU-25 to fly from the western airport island, but the pilot start driving to east (I think to the main airport) and he drive into the sea and died.
Can the AI take off from the western airport-island or not?
Fix bayonet!

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2006, 10:47:56 »
@bardosy
Yes, but only with heavy scripting. Otherwise they will steer right into the ocean before take off. So I guess the answer is no
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2006, 14:36:00 by nominesine »
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2006, 14:17:52 »
Thanks nominesine!

I think I must magic my players... The SU-25 will drive to the end of the concrete road and then it will deleteVehicle and script run ("one enemy plane can fly off...") Or something. Thanks.
Fix bayonet!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2006, 18:37:47 »
There can be only one "working" airstrip per island
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

klavan

« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2006, 19:10:35 »
If i remeber correctly some time ago i had read about an addon for such pourpouse (multiple airstrips) at bis forum. Try to take a look there or at ofp.info.
Klavan 

PetriHonka

« Reply #11 on: 14 Sep 2006, 19:50:57 »
Back to the origional issue...
One word. Hardware.
AMD Athlon 3200 xp, onboard sound, 512mb ram, GeForce 6200/7200 (can't remember which) make it work fine WITH dxdll addon by kegetys (looks great with dxdll sun effects on mountain near Konos)

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #12 on: 14 Sep 2006, 23:04:56 »
Read 11 Classes
Read Object List
Read 644 Object definitions
Read Object Previews
[ImportWrpFile] Signature: OPRW
OPRW Version 3
1048576 Cell Flags read.
262144 Sounds read.
2616 Peak's read.
262144 Texture Indexes read.
262144 Flags read.
262144 Elevation Values read.
Read 337 Texture names...
337 Texture names read.
462 Object Types read.
reading 147501 Objects...
 that is the reason why tonal lags and bas never held back on quality, soyou cn imagine ,they used a few resources those objects.
I love ofp