Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: reviewing cheats?  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
reviewing cheats?
« on: 20 Oct 2002, 11:38:16 »
just a quickie that ive always wondered about...

now, if a guy submits a mission that doesnt end, but in his readme he mentions a outro, or you suspect there is an outro - will you cheat to end the mission so that you can award the correct score for camera work, since this shouldnt be linked with the mission - unless the cutscenes have nothing to do with it...

just a thought - and i hope you know which cheat i mean  :P
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
Re:reviewing cheats?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2002, 11:48:51 »
wat hapened mezzy u sent em a mision dat dont end ? :o  ::)

u never should tel som1 2 cheat  :P  :-* - make sur dat ur mision finished b4 submitin  ;)  ;D - sendit 2 beta testin forum  ;D

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2002, 12:48:03 »
lol lol lol - never, i always beta test

but ive read many reviews in the missios depot where the reviewer states that he didnt see any outro, because the mission did not finsih - now i would say use the end game cheat so u can give the guy his credit for cutscenes...

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2002, 13:39:57 »
No.

If we can't achieve the desired end, the there is either something wrong with our Reviewers approach to the Mission, or something wrong with the Mission, thus if it is their work that is at fault, they do not deserve the relative scores for their outro scenes etcetc.

It must all be fully accessible.
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2002, 13:44:04 »
ok, i thought as much mateh  ;)

i was just curious if it had been ever considered - but i did think if the editor cant even be bothered to check if the mission end correctly then they shouldnt get the outro points.

cheers :thumbsup:

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
  • where's the ultra-theoretical mega-scripting forum
« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2002, 03:47:39 »
Of course, one should recall that 1.75 and 1.85 patches have changed AI behaviour, so a mission that was functional when submitted may not be functional when reviewed three months to half a year later.  So I wouldn't go condemnning the creator right away as being lazy.
Dinger/Cfit

Offline Archangel Scream

• Former Staff
  • OFPEC Former Staff: Audio editing & mission review
    • Britecorp
« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2002, 10:18:06 »

Personally speaking, when reviewing, a mission will be played many times and in different ways, to test for competency. End triggers can be problematic when not used with special care, so a mission that does not end will be replayed more so to ensure it's not reviewer incompetence. ;)

Where a mission still fails to end [or encounters other serious problems], as a last resort I'll unpack the .pbo and check the mission in the editor.

I don't think I've ever seen a mission lacking an end trigger - but I've seen many where far, far, too large a radius has been used, or conditions of activation have been in error. Sometimes it's even just the AI being a pain in the ... .

As for Resistance upgrades seriously affecting older missions - I've seen this first hand in my own, so it would certainly be a consideration where a mission appears affected.

Generally, though, reviewers are competent mission builders themselves, and appreciate the intricacies and issues involved.

Offline Archangel Scream

• Former Staff
  • OFPEC Former Staff: Audio editing & mission review
    • Britecorp
« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2002, 10:21:12 »

PS - If the mission ends and there is no end-cutscene, then there is no end-cutscene - simple. :)

Anmac

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2002, 12:33:02 »

If there is a problem with your mission you will be contacted by email by the reviewer or myself.

A mission that works everywhere but the end trigger may be posted but will lose points due to the bug.  If other bugs are found we may simply delete the poorly made mission.

Remember it is up to the author to make sure the mission is fully working before submission.

If you know your mission has problems with v1.75 or v1.85, you may contact me.  We can delete your mission and allow you to resubmit a new one.

Please note this only applies to missions already submitted but not yet reviewed.

:)

Oh, and using cheat codes to see an outro is NOT ON.
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2002, 12:35:47 by Anmac »

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
  • where's the ultra-theoretical mega-scripting forum
« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2002, 21:06:45 »
Hmm... I think I'd rather wait and see if the reviewer finds any such bugs, then retest, find some, resubmit and wait another three months.
:D
Dinger/Cfit

Anmac

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2002, 02:27:49 »

*note to self: All missions by Dinger have to wait 3.5 months before they are reviewed*

;)

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
Damn patches
« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2002, 02:41:00 »
"Of course, one should recall that 1.75 and 1.85 patches have changed AI behaviour..."

The version the mission was written and tested in is a good thing to know/remember when reviewing missions.

I reviewed a mission once where a bug introduced in a patch caused the end of the mission to fail due to a chopper not landing. I might have seen the outro that the mission maker advertised in the readme, and given a slightly higher score had I known about the bug, and tried the mission with 1.20.

I'm very pissed right now. Operation Lojack doesn't work with 1.85. >:(

This is off topic, but when the missions depot is working, will we be able to post comments on the missions like the editors depot? I'd like warn potential downloaders about Operation Lojack not working with 1.85. I'd hate for peeps to download a 4.6MB mission and have it not work.
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Anmac

« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2002, 05:32:55 »

Toady, have added that info to the mission summary.

;)

I had to update Assault Support because of v1.85, but the version on this site is still the old one.  So I also need that ...

*wonders off*

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2002, 18:53:35 »
yeah toady, i tried lojac again in 1.85 - kinda annoying, that was one of my favourite missions.

Forsaken

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2002, 00:01:08 »
Instal the game twice leave one version at 1.46 and the other at 1.85 problem solved.