Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Steerable chute - no addons required!  (Read 3897 times)

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
Steerable chute - no addons required!
« on: 18 Jul 2006, 19:29:47 »
Here are some scripts that allow limited steering of the default OFP T10C style parachute. Depress a single movement key to move in that direction.  See notes at the bottom of this post.

;;NOTES:
; Steerable Chute v2 scripts by Mr.Peanut 08/09/2006
;
; The main body of this script is taken from keyboard.single.sqs by hardrock (13/02/2004)
; which uses a cool camera exploit to detect keyboard presses.
;
; Modified by Mr.Peanut for steerable chute scripts. Works in Multiplayer.
;
; Usage: [_unit] exec "steerchute.sqs"
; _unit MUST be a man based unit i.e. script will not work if _unit is a vehicle.
; Script waits until player is in parachute and then exits when player is no longer in chute.
; Uses direction keys as you have mapped them. Depress a single direction key to move in that
; direction. Only depress one direction key at a time to move in that direction. Moving left or right
; turns the chute in 30 degree increments.
;
; This script is NOT ECP 1.085 compatible unless the ECP HALO is disabled. To do this add the following line
; into your init.sqs: ECP_local set [99, false]
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2006, 04:31:07 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
Re: Steerable chute - no addons required!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2006, 00:50:25 »
No comments or suggestions?
urp!

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2006, 23:34:11 »
Well, not truly steerable but a pretty good attempt without using an addon.

I've no idea how parachutes work (apart from the obvious) but my feeling is that this would be better with more forward motion rather than a complete vertical drop to give a better sensation of being able to move left and right. I don't know if you could script in a forward drift, looking through the script I'm guessing it could be tricksy.

Maybe an easy fix for your smoke trail would be to call it from the steerchute.sqs instead of the units init line?
 :)
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2006, 00:07:31 »
Lo Pig Fondler,

Thanks for taking a look.

It is not possible to increase the horizontal drift velocity without the chute turning on its side and looking ridiculous, due to another strange quirk of OFP when using setVelocity on chutes.  The chute is still affected by wind, which may make it seem unresponsive, but the flight path does deviate appropriately if you compare the smoke trail between the two cases. Maybe my demo should include a dummy who is launched a few seconds after the player to confirm this!
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2006, 17:25:40 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2006, 01:21:58 »
Maybe my demo should include a dummy who is launched a few seconds after the player to confirm this!
Probably a good plan, make the dummy in the players squad and then you can use command view to get a better idea of what's happening.

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2006, 02:56:23 »
Have added a dummy with a different colour smoke trail who starts from the same position 10 seconds after demo missions starts.  Although applying the setVelocity command to the chute makes the player's view go all over, if you hold down one key the whole descent you will see the mean drift is still in the desired direction modified by wind drift.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2006, 17:24:45 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #6 on: 09 Sep 2006, 04:28:28 »
New improved version allows turning. Try it!
urp!

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jul 2008, 16:54:11 »
I never quite understood why this little gem never made it into the ED.  :dunno:
Anyhow, years later another version that allows simultaneous turning and fore/aft movement. Working on an ArmA version, since BIS did not see fit to provide a steerable chute.

urp!

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jul 2008, 17:34:09 »
then this is for ArmA or for OFP or for both?

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jul 2008, 19:17:19 »
Just OFP. And hey, if you are already working on one for ArmA let me know and I won't bother.  :P
urp!