Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: a more interesting way to start a mission?  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
a more interesting way to start a mission?
« on: 19 Oct 2002, 19:08:43 »
well, i have a mission and as most are, you get choppered in to the LZ...

now this is kinda boring and dull, so i was playing around and i thought, how about a start where you have to land a cessna on a makeshift dirt air strip - marked by campfires - real bumpy etc...

could be a fun way to start the mission before the killing starts -

just a thought, what do you guys think of it?
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Kaliyuga

Re:a more interesting way to start a mission?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2002, 23:20:10 »
 Reminds me of a mission I saw when I first started playing OFP... Flying Circus I think it was...

that mission was pretty poor, but I'm sure you could do it up right.. ;D  

Landing at night.. with no lights.. in the rain.. sounds cool... cut the engines and just sorta glide in nice and quiet like..
maybe someone will apply the HUD used in the OV-10 bronco to a Cessna.... this would make it great to have to "fly by instruments" for stealth purposes....

If I remember correctly now.. there's a new version of the OV-10 that can carry 5 passengers (maybe 6??) so maybe that's another alternative...

as for the mission its self, you could really go anywhere with it... but a unique method of infiltration would be a refreshing change from all the chopper insertions.....

Kali  :cheers:

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2002, 23:27:58 »
yep - just to have a bit of fun at the start, and then get down to the nitty gritty of stuff.

Black Magic

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2002, 15:28:39 »
Sounds like a real neat idea Messiah! Good change from the monotony of most missions beginnings. Alternatively if you did want to have an LZ insertion you could do it with like maybe a group of enemy soldiers hidden in the forest just to put the pressure on from touch down and maybe even have a few rockets wizz by here and there.
I like that you're trying to be creative. For my WWII mission I have the starting cinematic with a group of Rangers walking along a road when they hear tanks coming. The mission then begins and all the soldiers scatter and hide behind rocks and your leader yells at you because you're standing out in the open. You have a few seconds to hide before the convoy of trucks comes through and passes you. If you're not hidden by then the mission fails and you can't engage the convoy for the whole time. Then you got to follow the convoy at a safe distance so as not be detected and the mission goes on from there.... How's that for a start? A little lame I know. Not as cool as yours but I couldn't think of anything else.

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2002, 16:10:02 »
no, its good, all the best missions i find are the ones that set the standard from the start - gets the player into the action as soon as he starts - im trying to work my plane idea in, but its hard because its a spec op mission and its not very realistic with isertion by the plane - maybe my next mission i'll use it.

but i do have enemies in the forest which you have to take out pronto or the mission is at a loss.

casual1y

« Reply #5 on: 01 Feb 2003, 13:21:50 »
What about a HALO drop from a Cessna 2000 feet above the ground?

A Cessna held under a CH-47 using a cargo rope, then you have to fly it down, land (not on an airfield, on grass), complete the mission (hostage rescue?) and then fly off?

Sneaky boat insertions?

In a car in a cargo rope (do a HALO drop in the car?)?

Asylum-seeker style (clinging under cars/trucks)?

I see no reason why tanks can't be airlifted in...

See, its not too hard.

I think I'LL use the Cessna under the Chopper one...

casual1y

Fishion

« Reply #6 on: 02 Feb 2003, 09:32:58 »
now this is kinda boring and dull, so i was playing around and i thought, how about a start where you have to land a cessna on a makeshift dirt air strip - marked by campfires - real bumpy etc...

Hmmm that sounds a little like an Air America Mission  :P

-Fishion