Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Iraqi freedom  (Read 2075 times)

Metalman

Iraqi freedom
« on: 23 Jan 2006, 15:17:20 »
Thought of a idea. It is set in Iraq. I am un decided on what addons i should use. I was thinking about the OPGWC beta pack. As this has many Gulf war era addons what do you think. here is the storyline i have created.

Situation Report

Saddam Hussain the Leader of the Iraqi people, has had allegations that he has stock piles of Nuclear weapons (Weapons of Mass Destruction) stored in Iraq. UN Weapons inspectors have been allowed into the country to search everywhere that they can. Saddam has let them in has he denies any knowledge of having Nuclear weapons. 3 months into the inspection and the so called weapons still haven't been found. The US has given the Iraqi leader the ultimatum, Tell us where your hiding them or we will come and find them. 1 month later the US alongside the Brits invade Iraq without the backing of the UN and most of the civilian backing.

US and UK areas of operations and units involved

The US forces will take the North and the west side of Iraq while the Brits will centre there operations to the South and the east of Iraq. Main force of the UK army will be the regular army which will be used to take towns and villages, times when precision and hostage release/taking needs to be done the the Royal marines will be used. 1st 2nd armoured division will deployed in the south while the 75th and the 90th armoured division will be deployed in the east. Meanwhile the US army will be linked up with the 65th Armoured brigade and will take the 400 mile stretch of road leading up to Baghdad. The marines will take the Airports and key holding points around Iraq such as the Iraqi oil fields and government buildings.

Phases of the Iraq Campaign

Each of these phases is a separate campaign. The first one will be a small campaign with about 10 missions. The others will vary in size.

Phase 1 - Operation Torch.

The US air force will pursue air Bourne operations to take out the Iraqi air defences and key points such as radar stations and artillery postions. This will give the US and Brits an advantage as they will have full control of the air so taking out the tanks and moving troops around will be much quicker and faster.
You will play Flight Lieutenant Jackson in this campaign.

Phase 2 - Operation Desert row

The ground troops have moved in after the bombings and airbourne operations have ended. UK forces start moving towards their target, Najaf. Firstly they have to move through the Bandahur region and secure key targets so that they are able to launch attacks closer inland to take out the last remaining Iraqi artillery postions surrounding Najaf. You will play Cpl Brown in this campaign.

Phase 3 - Operation Desert storm II

This follows the US has they make there way towards Baghdad. On there way the encounter a lot of Iraqi resistance and capture a lot of Iraqi weapons and gas masks, This gives evidence that they was going to use chemicals in the battle, You play Cpl Darwin in this campaign

Phase 4 - Operation Restore peace.

In this last part you play has the british and the US soldier. You will be facing a completely different enemy this time. Instead of fighting the regular soldiers you will be against people that will strike from no where, could be a normal civilian to the soldiers eyes. They fear nothing and will die for there beliefs. They will strike only where they can cause more damage in a short period of time.

Overall objectives

The objectives for both sides (the US and UK forces) will be:

•   Secure the country
•   Capture Saddam Hussian
•   Bring law and order once the Iraqi regime has fallen

Only when the country has been rebuilt will the war be fully over.

not sure about phase 1, cant really create good helicopter/airplane missions. They might seem to be boring after the same mission virtually the same. What do you think?

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
Re:Iraqi freedom
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2006, 16:02:07 »
This follows the US has they make there way towards Baghdad. On there way the encounter a lot of Iraqi resistance and capture a lot of Iraqi weapons and gas masks, This gives evidence that they was going to use chemicals in the battle...

I assume neither the US nor the UK forces are carrying any gas masks themselves. It might prove fatal in the event of a future warcrime trial with this kind of evidence  ;D

Sorry for the sarcasm. Couldn't resist. However I really like your idea, and if you complete it I will most certainly download it. The story is promising and feels realistic.

The main problem, as I see it, is the workload. Designing 20-30 missions takes time. For practical reasons I would make all missions without addons, to get the missions operational. It's easy to turn a no-addonmission into an addon-mission once the general layout is done (I always do like this, unless it's supposed to be centered around a special addon).

I also find that it improves the missions, because you - as mission designer - focus on the important stuff, rather than shiny addons. Good luck.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Metalman

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2006, 10:48:56 »
Thanks for the reply, Yes i like the idea of running for the original BIS units, then change it to the Addons to be used, Maybe i could release to versions. One as a no addon campaign and the other with the addons. Then not everyone has to download the addon pack to play it. Only difference would be is it wouldn't be as realistic!!!

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2006, 14:51:54 »
I'm confused at how you would do an Iraq mission without atleast one addon. Iraq on Malden, now that's a thought.. :P

Metalman

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2006, 15:08:23 »
ok maybe with a few island addons then. Such as the beta of Najaf.

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2006, 15:09:04 »
I'm confused at how you would do an Iraq mission without atleast one addon. Iraq on Malden, now that's a thought.. :P

Good point  :-[ But nevertheless I think the no-addons-while-building is a good rule. Apart from an island or two   ;D
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2006, 15:09:26 by nominesine »
OFPEC | Intel Depot

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2006, 16:38:55 »
Generally, I would agree. But if you are using units with added effects such as the MAPFACT Marines and their bleed out script, gameplay can be immensely different between the mission with addons and the same mission without.
Which makes testing using the original units, when you plan to later switch to addons, a pretty futile task.

But, without these scripts, using original units to create missions is a damn good idea.

PS. i wanna UAZ too! ;D
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2006, 16:40:07 by XCess »

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2006, 12:20:22 »
PS. i wanna UAZ too! ;D

A little Off-Topic, but give me a call next time you're passing through the Leningrad area. I'll take you for a test drive. They really are fantastic  ;D
OFPEC | Intel Depot

Conors

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2006, 19:27:43 »
Najaf has too many addons, there are a few iraq maps out, look in the addons beta testing