Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Sound Editing Tutorial  (Read 2807 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
Sound Editing Tutorial
« on: 02 Dec 2005, 21:02:19 »
Hey guys
ive now made a sound editing tutorial. Beofre you say there too many of them already im talking about a sound editing one which will teach you how to edit the sounds to get cool effects in the background of the actual sound file.
just read on for the tut

Before reading on, read THIS TUTORIAL named 'Sound Tutorial' Without this tutorial or without knowing how to implement sounds into OFP this tutorial will be totally useless if you plan on using it in OFP.
This tutorial will teach you how to edit normal radio sounds/speech sounds and make them sound like they are coming from a radio. This does not teach you how to use the description.ext to implement sounds.

This tutorial is for those who have wanted more realistic radio squelch sounds and do not know how to do it using a sound editor, this tutorial will teach you how.

The reason for this is that many people have a cut scene and since you use the say command in them it will not add the radio squelch to the sound so this will teach you how to add that radio squelch for yourself and some other cool radio effects for your missions.
Everything should be included how to get your sounds, sounding like the ones in the small package at the bottom of this tutorial.

Step 1

You will need to download This Program (Gold Wave). Gold Wave is a very good and easy editing program once you have been taught the basics. I had to learn the basics by just trial and error.

Make sure you follow all instructions to download and install Gold Wave properly so you gont get any errors.

Step 2

Download the attached files and place them on your computer these are the sounds which will add the squelch and other effects.

Step3

Now make sure you have all your radio sounds, which you want the effects on ready to be inserted in your mission.
Open up Gold Wave and click the open button on the top toolbar now look for the sounds you downloaded and open the effects you would like.

Note - this step isn't required if your radio sound is shorter then effect sound
Once done copy the sound using Control + C paste it on the end of the sound you have just copied.
Carry on this step until the radio sound is shorter then your effect sound

Step 4

Now once step 3 is finished use Control + A to select the whole sound, now press Control + C to copy the sound.
Now you will need to open up your actual radio sound you plan to add the effects to.

Step 5

Now on the radio sound you just opened up press on the button ‘Effect' on the top toolbar.
Now under that tab click on ‘Filter'.
Now click ‘Bandpass/Stop' for me it is the first one.
A new box will open up at the bottom of the box where it says ‘Presets' click on it and chose the option ‘Voice hum and Hiss filter'.
Like this
Click on that and press okay the setting should now be applied.

Step 6

Now go to ‘Effect/Volume/Change'. A new box will now pop up.
Where the mouse is on This Pic click once the DB should be increased by 3.00.
There is a green play button, click it and it should start playing your radio sound.

Now repeat this step until you start to get a little bit of static on your sound then click Okay.

Step 7

Now remember that sound which you copied before the effect sound? Make sure it is still copied, and then click the mix button on your radio sound menu as seen on This Pic Here.
Then just click Okay.

Step 8

Once done step 7, press the play button at the top of the screen it will play your radio sound as it is so far. It should start to sound like a radio.
If you are not satisfied, you can repeat ‘Step 6' until you start to get more static from the sound.
Once satisfied carry on with the next steps.

Step 9

Now click ‘Effect/Dynamics'
Look at this picture and roughly click where the mouse is shown to add more static to the sound.
Before pressing Okay press the play button and check if it sounds good if it sounds bad you have clicked too much dynamics to the sound.
Repeat this step but click more about Here As Shown In This Pic.

Then press Okay and move onto step 10 when it starts to sound good.

Step 10 (Saving it)

If everything sounds good and your happy with it its now time to save the file. If your not happy with the sound repeat the steps changing things on the way like The volume of the sound and the Dynamics infact sometimes I don't even use it.

Now to save the file, press ‘File/Save As…'.
Now a new window will open find where you want it saved and chose the right file name. Before clicking Okay, the format of the file must be changed to .ogg even if it is .ogg I would advise saving it this way.

On the window chose ‘Save as type' and select ‘Ogg (*.ogg) <OggFile>' now under that box should be another box named ‘Attributes'.
Select that box and look for these terms ‘Vorbis 1.1.0, 44100Hz, 120kbps (0.7q), mono'.

Double check all is the same as above and then click Save.
Should look like this.

Finished

Now make sure the sound has been classed in the description.ext file and all string tables are fine with the right names and text in. Then in a script, you would call the sound like you normally would with a radio or speech sound in a script/trigger.

Download this it contains the pics and some test files

Adding your own effects

Adding your own effects is as simple as adding one of the sounds which come with the package above.

Firstly you must download your custom sound off a website, record it yourself or whatever you like.
Then follow the tutorial where it explains about Mixing sounds into the background.
Remember the effect sound should be either more or the same as the actual radio sound, unless you want the effect in only half of the radio sound. Its your choice.

Hope this tutorial will help people make better quality sound files for missions, if you feel I have missed something else please state so and I will fix it.

Thats it guys hope it comes in use but of course i need some testing on it like spellings, does what im trying to say come across clear ? Do all pics help should there be more ?

things like that
cheers

Edit - Added and changed parts to the first two paragrapghs
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2005, 13:15:30 by 456820 »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
Re:Sound tutorial
« Reply #1 on: 03 Dec 2005, 01:03:58 »
I like ths 456, but,,, it is not a sound tutorial and you shouldn't call it that (so that customers know what they're getting)

This is a sound EDITING Howto. A howto, for editing sounds, not, for editing the mission eg.

As such it is not 'just another' sound tute. It is a practical example of how to manipulate sounds, with a good tool, and I think you should emphasise that fact, right from the get-go.

The way the bold 1st paragraph is worded, it leaves impression that this is just another enhancement on that subject. It's not.

all of which by the way, is not a criticism of what you have written !
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2005, 01:05:25 by Mikero »
Just say no to bugz

klavan

Re:Sound tutorial
« Reply #2 on: 03 Dec 2005, 09:41:55 »
This is nice idea. I'm not very good in manipulating sounds and would be even more nice to see more "how to" tutes about this. I used the same procedure as 456820 to create radio sounds (i also use Goldwave too), but how about inserting background sounds in a message for example? I don't know how to do and experimenting is time consuming (i'm lazy, i know  ;D  ). So if all those who are skilled would put their experience in such a tute the quality of the sounds included in the missiion will surely raise.
Klavan
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2005, 09:42:13 by klavan »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
Re:Sound Editing Tutorial
« Reply #3 on: 03 Dec 2005, 11:32:31 »
@Mikero
Edited it to make it sound more of a sound editing tutorial

@Klavan
If i understand correctly your saying it doesnt tell you how to add background noises which it does from step 7
or are you saying that you dont understand it or you never knew how ?

Anyway thanks so far im going to add more pictures to go by and to help you understand more clearer

klavan

« Reply #4 on: 03 Dec 2005, 12:38:20 »
Don't worry, your tute explains well how to mix two sounds, i meant to say i never knew how to do it.
Klavan

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 03 Dec 2005, 12:49:38 »
i will once ive added the extra pics which wont take long no one seems to have aproblem about my english nor spelling in it

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 03 Dec 2005, 13:17:02 »
okay more pictures are added and ive read through it a few times and added a last paragraph
all should be fine.

Tut is uploaded into the pending list  8)
If you spot something ive missed please state so and ill edit it.

cheers

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #7 on: 04 Dec 2005, 07:27:04 »
Nicely written 456 and clear as a bell to me (who knows nothing about this subject). :D

We need more of these valuable howto's. Well done.
Just say no to bugz