Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: What exactly is the FFUR pack?  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Coot

• Members
What exactly is the FFUR pack?
« on: 09 Nov 2005, 18:03:46 »
Hey there.  Could someone tell me what the ffur packs are?  I know for example it says for like the Woodland 1985 u can play through the original with this.  So does it just have improved graphics and effects?  Is it any better than the ECP mod?  Also when i tried installing this, i followed the directions and got it installed but couldnot get into it.  I had a hard time understanding the readme's instruction on making and editing  a desktop icon.  I did it like they said but the icon would'nt work and get me into it.  Are there some simplar instructions for installing this for a not so technically saavy person?  Thankyou.

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
Re:What exactly is the FFUR pack?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Nov 2005, 18:33:22 »
I never tried FFUR myself...

You know ECP that's good. It adds improved effects to all the old missions if you play them with ECP.

FFUR adds improved effects the same way. But also it replaces all the old default units, even islands (depending on the pack you downloaded), with the "best" community made addons the author was able to find.
He adapted all the addon values, so there should be no gameplay balance problems with the different addons in theory.

Without knowing anything about it's installation I suggest:
1. Search your Flashpoint directory for a new folder that will be named @FFUR or something similar.
2. Duplicate your original OFP shortcut on the desktop.
3. Edit the new shortcut and change its target line to call the FFUR modfolder (for example):
Code: [Select]
E:\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE -nosplash -nomap -mod=@FFUR

Offline El Fisho

• Members
  • u are expecting somthing about lamas aint ya
« Reply #2 on: 09 Nov 2005, 18:37:55 »
Firstly, this belongs in the addons discussion section, but no doubt a friendly moderator will move it

In answer to your q, FFUR is a unit replacement pack. It replaces all the units, islands etc with more accurate and graphically enhance versions. There are 5 packs I think, woodland is traditional flashpoint and you can replay the campigns in it.

ECP is different, ECP is based on enhanced effects, gameplay and AI

Is ECP better, that is a matter of opinion. Many find that FFUR is to laggy for them, and they would rather have the better gameplay than the pritty graphics (my opinion)

But some like the realistic look of FFUR, but you need a good PC to run it.

A matter of opinion really

As for the installation of ECP, run the installer and it sould just work. It sould be added to start menu, if this has not worked then

1. Right click your desktop

2. Go to new on the menu

3. Then click on shortcut

4. Then copy and paste this into the box you get

"C:\Program Files\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE" -nomap -mod=@ECP

Then it sould run. (I am assuming you have the flashpoint reistance or game of the year edition)

edit:

trapper beat me to it, lol
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2005, 18:39:25 by El Fisho »

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2005, 12:46:17 »
To round up the posters above; FFUR is great for playing the older missions and campaigns, that's why I installed it; I'm already looking forward to play a CWC and other older campaigns and missions with it.  With FFUR even the most simple, basic mission (which most of the players will otherwise not even bother to smell it) become quite an expirience and adventure, and here's hiding the greatest value of this mod.  For some newest and more complexly builded missions I think it's not so suitable, unleas they're builded with this mod, or builded with it 'in mind'.

But as it is sayed above, you need a good PC to run it.  If you're able to play Battlefield mission without a significant lag, than you should be okay.

The installation is quite simple: just download-install the mod from the European apropriate dl site, then make a shortcut to FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.exe, then add to your shortcut's properties in target adress (behind it and with all spaces): -nosplash -nomap -mod=ffur1985.

EDIT: Later I saw you're an American, so I've 'corrected' instalation part.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2005, 13:18:16 by karantan »