Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: need ideas on spicing up enemy attacks  (Read 2798 times)

Pos

need ideas on spicing up enemy attacks
« on: 03 Nov 2005, 14:40:23 »
I could use some ideas for a mission I'm working on atm, The basic idea is that you have to defend the town Arudy on malden from attacks.

The attacks will come in waves and from different directions. I've spent a few days just making the town look good with defensive walls and turret areas and now I have to start the enemy attacks, I've looked at group link2 and I may use that but I could use some ideas for making the attacks more interesting and challenging to defend, any ideas?

dammit just realised this is "addon ideas" and not "mission ideas"  ::) can someone move this to the correct forum pls
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2005, 14:42:16 by Pos »

Conors

Re:need ideas on spicing up enemy attacks
« Reply #1 on: 03 Nov 2005, 18:51:42 »
perhaps it could be an mp mission, where one of your allies is a spy and attemps to kill everyone else and if he is discovered by anyone else they have to shoot him (but they can only win by defending the town). Like a very violent game of wink murder. BTW this is originalyy NOT my idea credit goes to someone else.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 03 Nov 2005, 20:27:11 »
okay my ideas about it
the attacks will come in a few different waves like this
1. just some light arty rounds falling around you not really doing much dammage
2. as soon as the arty stops you should see the attackers (will need good timing) which will be light infantry
3. a few BMP's and a bit stronger infantry
4. Heavy infantry here eg, Heavy grenadiers, lots of maching gunners etc etc.
5. Now a paradrop from the enemy with 2 V80's as cover for the mi17's (but you have AA equipment)
6. Following up the paradrop is some heavy and light armour (T80's and T72's)

thats how i would do it
a tip i use is use lots of BMP's since they can only take that one shot they dont popose much of a thread but they add so much atmosphere when they go BOOM  ;D
and the heavy grenadiers are great cause its like artillery when its not

hope any of that helps you
and yes do use an AI script i would suggest Bremners AI one but your choice

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 06 Nov 2005, 20:10:22 »
456820 your ideas sound like a nice mission for the player/defender, but if I had all this at my disposal for an attack, I would use it for my advantage :)

1. Some light arty rounds, but the gunners better aim well.  :P
2. The T80's and T72's move in positions overseeing Arudy and cover...
3. ...the BMPs with the infantry, as they approach an LAW-safe point (between the tanks and arudy) where the infantry disembarks. Then they advance together, until the BMPs stop in front of the village, further covering the infantry, as they clear the buildings.
4. If the enemy still dominates the battle, I would airdrop the paratroopers in his rear, to stop enemy reinforcements or to attack the village, too. (maybe I would have already positioned the paratroopers there the night before, if it's possible without alerting the enemy)
5. The two V-80s are not seen but always on stand by for close air support if needed (more enemy armor ect)

With the size of Arudy in mind, I'm sure you'll have to stack the defenders if their numbers should be high enough to repeal this attack without reinforcements.  ;D

To make sure that the player survives the artillery at first, you could place him in an infantry reinforcement convoy, approaching the village at this moment. This way you can also use his accompanying units to determine the 100% available defenders, while the few arty survivors remaining inside the village are just an uncalculable defence bonus.

EDIT: Well, when I suggest such a "professional" strategy for the attackers, the defenders should not just hide in the village trying to defend it. Especially the terrain around Arudy requires the defenders to create defensive positions around the village if they want to survive.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2005, 20:36:27 by Trapper »

Sophion

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2005, 23:07:36 »
based on the knowlage that there are no definite intell oon were the fortifiactions and DDP's are located this is the best i can come up with. If you don't know how to read this then post a "help me!" post and i'll explain it for you. but now i'm pressed for time. so heres the Rough sketch of an assault. you can see a "flaking manuever" at the north end of town by 1st Armored/B Squad. and a terrain clutch by the Special Forces squad to the west. oh yeah... first to make a pic  ;).

Edit: the infantry follows the road  ;)
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2005, 23:08:52 by Sophion-Black »

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2005, 00:54:51 »
Just thinking out loud, but here's something that'd be fun with the V-80's...

Have them flying around doing their helicopter thing. The player has a Vulcan in the town, and if its still alive, it's scripted to shoot down one of the V-80's which crashes just out of damage range from the player. Then the other V-80 destroys the Vulcan, but only when the player is near-ish.
Cymbaline

Offline ONoSixIsDown

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2005, 02:21:55 »
just came up with a sinister idea :gunman:

a western unit is sent to secure a town after reports of soviet forces mixing in with the civilian population.  say you have a town with bunch of civilian loons running about when all of the sudden, they hit a join way point that groupls them with say a spetz natz unit.  then a script runs that makes all the civies run to hidden weapon stashes.  the player is forced to defend the town and try to find out which civies are hostile and which ones arn't.  imagine the mayhem when your trying to find which civilians are shooting at you and which ones are running for thier lives.

hmmm... gives me an idea

« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2005, 02:22:50 by OhNoSixIsDown »
CRIMSON REIGN COMMING..... eventually :/

Conors

« Reply #7 on: 04 Dec 2005, 05:59:51 »
You could make it an Ireland mission (i know its a sensitive issue) using Brits and some sort of rebel skin

jBrereton

« Reply #8 on: 01 Jan 2006, 15:14:00 »
Hehey, it's not really a contentious issue at all. Us Brits have just been wankers there and for some reason we (as in the government) don't want to pull our soldiers back.

Anyway, the DPM guys and the new DMA(?) Euro soldiers are also excellent, the problem is mainly that urban combat in OpFlash is a bit of a joke. ArmA is supposedly going to change that, which would be pretty good.

*edits*

There's quite a lot of potential for friendly Jaeger-type infantry to slow down enemy attacks and also reinforce you from the hill.

That, or you could get some emplacements up there and use them to rain merry hell down on the enemy attacks.
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2006, 15:21:36 by jBrereton »

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 04 Jan 2006, 02:30:14 »
Just make sure you give them very detailed waypoints or some dynamic doMove (right command? rusted scripting from likesix months away) scripts.

It's always nice to see units behaving as they would in real life rather than just charging an area and randomly dropping to the ground. Use setUnitPos, use doMove, use doTarget, use nearestObject. use disableAI.

Make the AI seem intelligent, make it move as a Spetz Natz or SAS Commando would. Forget the BIS style crap, make your missions real. IF you're willing to spend as much time as you did building the base on buidling scripts for the AI movement (something many people neglect to do) you will come up with one of the greatest missions for OFP ever (not counting Abandoned Armies however as that is just a whole different story)

Anyway, that's the end of my ramble.  ;D

**Edit* the IRA thing... it's a great training ground for our troops, if it wasn't for the IRA the SAS wouldn't be what it is today.
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2006, 02:31:18 by XCess »

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #10 on: 06 Jan 2006, 12:05:10 »
Just got one thing that came to mind.

Use a toughguy script to make some enies harder to kill than others. Do it randomly so that some guys take more hit to kill them. Simple but effective.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #11 on: 06 Jan 2006, 15:36:31 »
Why? :P

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #12 on: 06 Jan 2006, 18:35:34 »
Why not?   :P :P

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.