Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: AddonManagerV1.2  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
AddonManagerV1.2
« on: 08 Oct 2005, 23:47:26 »
Well, hopefully I've gone and dun something worthy here.

I use this tool myself EVERY day. I'm constantly searching for that #@$_(&_$@_ missing addon that crashes ofp each time I try an untested undocumented mission. So hopefully, this little beast will make that a thing of the past where you can search a database looking for THE addon. Not the pbo name, not the zip crud v99.7 beta, THE 'missing' addon name.

Naturally and of course it's only as good as the data you enter into it

In this beta release I've supplied the conents of my D: hard drive which is UTTERLY USELESS to YOU !!!

But it's there for you to 'see' the database in full flight. To fix it up, try entering your OWN data (duh)

This uses microsoft acces, it should be able to hyperlink to internet urls's as easily as hard drives but suck it and see.

full documentation is in the accompanying readme, (lots of pictures) and hopefully it's a click and use application.

am particularly interested in anyone stiking trouble with the ocx and dll files that I may not have fully packaged.

enjoy (or tear your hair out)

Just say no to bugz

yankme

Re:AddonManagerV1.2
« Reply #1 on: 09 Oct 2005, 05:19:13 »
looks very usefull!!!!
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2005, 05:27:36 by yankme »

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #2 on: 09 Oct 2005, 06:12:20 »
is there any way you could add a feature that will take addons you select and automaticly create a mod folder for you?

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #3 on: 09 Oct 2005, 11:36:15 »
enjoy (or tear your hair out)

Positive.

If I just follow your installation instructions, I get error messages complaining about two files:

- COMCTL32.OCX 1.3
 - VCMAXB.OCX 1.0

What I did:

1. (as admin of course) Copy DePBO.dll to c:\windows\system32
2. (as admin of course) Copy COMDLG32.OCX to c:\windows\system32 ( the only additional file you provide in the package )
3. Create new folder c:\addonmg and copy AddonManagerV1.2.mdb to that folder
4. double-click file AddonManagerV1.2.mdb --> Access starts and complains about the files I mentioned above
5. It does not matter if I am logged into Windows XP as administrator with full privileges or regular user with restricted privileges: the result is exactly the same.

I installed Visual Basic Runtimes from Microsoft Download Center ( a buddy told me they are already installed in Windows XP ) but it didn't help. I'll try something else too...

:-\

Obviously the problem is that those two files simply don't exist on my computer. At least not anywhere in c:\Windows

#EDIT 1:

I have a feeling that I should have both Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual C++ development environments installed for this application to work... :D

Or then, I will have to dig those files from somewhere and maybe then the problem will go away. But this seems very much like too much trouble...

#EDIT 2:

I have file comctl32.dll in c:\windows\system32 but no sign of any file which has VCMAXB in it's name in C: drive.

comctl32.dll has probably the same things as comctl32.ocx but .dll doesn't help much... because it doesn't work.

#EDIT 3:

OK now I got the COMCTL32.OCX and VCMAXB.OCX installed... Let's see how AddonManager works... Mikero, this is just too unconvenient to get this application working. It can of course be a problem only in my computer, but I doubt that.
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2005, 12:39:10 by Baddo »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2005, 18:09:41 »
Thanks 4 that baddo. I know you've had a 'history' with this thing.

as far as it being too difficult to install. The answer is: precisely. I've put it here in Beta, because in fairness, once I figure out which ocx files are needed by the app, then this 'too difficult' aspect will go away. I hae a pig of a time this end trying to figure out what might be needed (the wizards don't help at all)

no, it *definately* doesn't need visual c.

have you got it running now?
Just say no to bugz

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2005, 18:13:28 »
@penguin

answer is yes, i'm working on it because right now it's remains a small pain to open each of the selected packages in the database and shovel them into a mods folder manually.. So yes, i'm woriking on it, but i need to get over this installation difficulty that poor Baddo keeps tripping over
Just say no to bugz

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2005, 21:51:02 »
have you got it running now?

I got it to start without giving error messages. I was tired of it at the end so I only tested it with one RAR and it did something with it. But I need to test it more tomorrow so I can tell how it actually works on my computer. Because I don't want to say "it's not working" even if it does.

:)

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2005, 04:08:11 »
I have some corrections for you, Mikero  :)

Button: "SearchByAddon" ---> "Search By Addon"
Button: "SearchByBpo" ---> "Search By Pbo"
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2005, 04:46:36 »
Gee, that was the easiest fix i've managed so far  ;D

is it working as nature intended Tyger? Poor baddo hates me.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2005, 19:16:20 »
Gee, that was the easiest fix i've managed so far  ;D

is it working as nature intended Tyger? Poor baddo hates me.

No I don't hate you :)

I will test this tool again only with a relaxed mind to prevent an already stressed mind affecting the test. Hopefully it happens by the end of the weekend. Right now I'm busy with other things but for sure I will have the patience and nerves needed to test this tool one more time?

;D

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2005, 21:55:17 »
OK now I think I had a relaxed mind enough to test this again.

:D

What did I do this time:

0. Downloaded AddonMangerV1.2.zip again, just in case you have made changes without changing version number.

1. To start fresh, I deleted all files installed in previous tests, including the two .OCX files mentioned in my earlier post in this thread.

2. Copy DePBO.DLL to c:\windows\system32

3. Copy COMDLG32.OCX to c:\windows\system32

4. Create a directory c:\addonmanager, and copy AddonManagerV1.2.mdb to that directory.

5. Start AddonManagerV1.2.mdb, and I receive error messages regarding the two OCX files I had to install previously. You have not done anything to this problem and that is no wonder because the version is the same as in my previous test... :P Luckily I have those files backed up so I can just copy them back to c:\windows\system32

6. Restart, and error messages have disappeared. Good. So for me, COMCTL32.OCX and VCMAXB.OCX are required files which are needed to run the database. You do not mention them in the readme so I call this a serious bug. I suggest that you include these two files in the ZIP so other people can avoid the trouble of hunting these two files. My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition (Finnish language but I suspect it doesn't matter at all) and I do not have Microsoft Visual Basic installed. I have not removed anything from the basic installation of Windows XP so the missing files are not anything I have caused myself.

Please include them to the package and fix the readme so other people who might run into the same problem will have easier time fixing the problem than I had (did I really get it fixed...?).

7. The readme says "Initially, you'll be presented with a rather uninspiring set of blank content." No it's not like that. I have some packages and pbo's already visible. Fix the readme.

8. Are you sure drag&drop is an appropriate way of bringing packages to the program? I find it difficult, and would like more if there was a "Open file(s)" dialog. At least it should be possible, in addition to "drag&drop" Now I need to arrange windows so that I can drag&drop, and that's not convenient imho.

9. First attempt: drag "KEGsw44m.pbo" to "package". PBO read status box says: "error: DePbo no file opened"

Another attempt with BIS 6G30.pbo results in the same view: nothing. The database simply does not bring any info about the PBO's I drag & drop into it. The PBO gets listed on package list, but that's all.

"If you dropped a pbo package here, the database automatically does the rest. " Hmm so what it will do? I can't see anything else than the addon's pbo getting listed to the package list. "Pbo Name" and "Description" and everything nearby, remains empty.

All other PBO files which I test, results in "error: DePbo no file opened" in the Pbo read status box. In the readme you are saying that it's the PBO's fault. It is ok if you say so, but still, hmm...

10. Next, I try to drop "RHS_Naval_v1.00.rar" to "Package field (first clicking "New Package" of course) and one by one try to add each PBO contained in the RAR to the "Contents" field. The result: PBO has errors. include anyway. "Yes" Nothing useful has been achieved. I notice that you have included the same RAR file as an example to the package list already. Your example has the PBO's but mine doesn't.

11. OK... now that I have tested this database without success using an account with restricted privileges, I will change to a big bad administrator wolf account with all the rights and will to do anything a wolf would do with this database...

12. As admin: Drag&Drop PBO: no success. "error: DePbo no file opened"

13. As admin: Drag&Drop RAR: no success. Dragging and dropping RAR contents to "contents" field does not do anything. When I try to drag&drop the RAR contents, I have the specific package selected from the package list, as I assume I need to do. The readme does not tell this.

14. As admin: I try again with some original PBO files made by Bohemia Interactive Studio. I can't get  the database to list any information about the PBOs. Now I don't get the error message to "Pbo read status" box, but I don't get anything else either. All your example packages have information, but what I dragged, have nothing. This database application simply does not work for me, I am convinced about that.

OK this is the end of testing for this time.

Notes about readme
  • Why you say that "copy the ocx files supplied in this package to your windows\system32 directory. These ocx files come from Microsoft, free of charge, and are support files for this very kind of situation." when there is only one OCX file in the package? Doesn't that make the instructions a bit more confusing?
  • You say "zip and rar are opened automatically by the Windows Operatings system. To do the same for pbo's grab a copy of winbpo." Is that really true for RAR? I think you need to have WinRAR installed for that to work, am I right? For ZIP files it is true if one has Windows XP which can handle ZIP files. One might start to think that his OS is broken because it can't open a RAR like you told it will do. And even though I have WinRAR installed I can't get a RAR to open when I click it from the Package field (top-left corner). I just get a notification that Windows can't open that file. Opening RARs outside this database works fine.
  • Plus what I said in numbers 6, 7 and 13.
Well this has been a long and desperate attempt to get this database working for me. But I have to put my hands up. I will surrender. I can't get it to work. I am sorry Mikero, but that's how it is. It does not work for me, even though I really wanted to get it working.

Anyway, it's a very good idea for an application and I wish you could improve it. I previously suggested that you could do a stand-alone application which would probably solve the dependency problems. Make it not rely on MS Access and (old) Visual Basic and it could be much better and would get much more users to get feedback from. Of course, it's a database and using Microsoft Access is a natural choice, I can't blame you for that.

OK that's about it for now. I would like to hear your comments, what could I have done otherwise. Are there any suspicious parts in my report above, might I have done something not like you intended?

#Edit typo fixed
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2005, 11:25:16 by Baddo »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2005, 16:40:25 »
this application was supplied to the editors depot a few weeks ago, with, all ocx files included.

I left the thread open for what I thought would be a few days, and forgot to lock it.

since done.
Just say no to bugz