Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Tutorials in video format.  (Read 3032 times)

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
Tutorials in video format.
« on: 07 Oct 2005, 00:54:17 »
I'm thinking of creating a whole lot of videos of tutorials. Simply so that people can see how something is done rather than just having a description to go by.

I've created one with some corny background music. It's an Ammo Crate tutorial which shows how to add custom weapons to an ammo crate.

Here is the file.

http://rapidshare.de/files/5963610/AmmoCrateTutorial.rar.html

What do you think? Does the idea have any promise?
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2005, 00:54:40 by The-Architect »
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

yankme

Re:Tutorials in video format.
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct 2005, 01:39:15 »
very good, nice big letters, music was calming and set the mood for learning, vocal need improvement but just in the recording part, i can hear your breath.
   nice and short , to the point.
overall- very nice tute for beginners and could be very good in advanced sripting for beginners or something that might be hard to exsplain in words such as draging syncs to triggers and so on. and i do beleave this could be very helpful to the game as far as getting more newbies involved.    ;)
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2005, 01:40:21 by yankme »

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #2 on: 07 Oct 2005, 08:40:57 »
I think this way will be good for animation presentation...

I mean playMove, switchMove...
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2005, 08:41:19 by bardosy »
Fix bayonet!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 07 Oct 2005, 09:58:19 »
Fucking hell that is brilliant.  Well done pal.   The Editors Depot will be delighted to host stuff like this, just remember that it has to be zip not rar.

I have a number of suggestions:

• Music excellent.  However, for file size reasons, consdider leaving it out.  It's not too bad on this file, but if you're doing a long tute it's really going to make a difference.
  • Voice good.    Speak a little more positively and clearly - you are performing here.    Put a windshield or baffle over the mic (I just drape a cloth over it) and experiment with holding it below your mouth, pointing at the ceiling, rather than pointing at your mouth.  The idea is to keep it out of the direct path of the exhaled air.   But don't get me wrong, the underlying quality of both the sound recording and the speaking is absolutely fine.
  • The text at the start and the end is good for introductions and summaries.  However, do not use it for presenting information for the first time.  For example, the first time the number of mags was mentioned it was in the text at the end - that should have been in the heart of tute.
  • Include a text file with the whole script
  • The real video in the middle, showing you what you actually do, is superb.   You moved the mouse nice and slowly as well, which really helped.

I suggest you do one showing how to group and synchro things - that will work better than just writing commands.    Actually what we really need is a comprehensive but basic tute on the Mission Editor - we've never really had a really good one of those.     But, of course, its up to you.  Anything is better than nothing.

Well done again.  People have talked about this in the past but nobody has actually done it.   So yes, it has lots of promise.  I think the secret will be to select areas which both lack information, and also which lend themselves to this kind of approach.    Don't be afraid to click the Preview button and show us the results in the mission, assuming that works.    

And don't feel obliged to make the whole tute video - save the video for the important bits.  For example, you could include a part-complete demo mission and lesson 1 (done by normal text instructions) is to get that set up and ready.  Then the video section, using the part complete mission as a starting point.    Or whatever.  My point is, be imaginative with this - it is potentially a very powerful tool.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2005, 10:07:15 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #4 on: 07 Oct 2005, 12:40:38 »
Thanks for the support Macca and yes you can call me Archie.

I will use .Zips if you want, although .Rar gives better compression.

The breathing on the first one was there only because I threw it together over half an hour. I was more professional with the new one.

I can't think of what to put in the readme or text file. I figure that the vid tute has the info and repeating it would be pointless. If you can point me in the right direction as regards to that I'd appreciate it.

Perhaps a few links to Ofpec pages relating to the same subject? I added those anyway.

Here is a new tutorial.

"Adding custom sound to your mission" People are always asking this.

http://rapidshare.de/files/5977909/SoundTutorial.zip.html
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #5 on: 07 Oct 2005, 13:27:26 »
Zip is the OFPEC standard.  There are long and boring reasons why.

The text file should just be what you have said.  That way, if you want to refer back to something, you don't have to fire up the tute and again and slide back and forth trying to find the right bit.  Imagine the video as a lecture:  it's much easier if the tutor just gives you a photocopy of the notes, rather than trying to write things down as he speaks.

Relevant links are always good.

That one was also good but there was too much text.   Perhaps repackage it so that there is a normal text tutorial, but at relevant points it says "now watch video1" or "now watch video2".    You need to get the best out of the video clips.

The more I look at this the more I think it's good for total noobs. Then showing them things like how to open the mission editor, and the intel box, and place a unit and a trigger and so on would be really helpful.

A comment from somebody who doesn't know how to make sounds appear in the game would be very useful here .....
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2005, 13:44:41 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 07 Oct 2005, 18:42:31 »
sounds cool how about a different download link my comp dont like downloading things from rapid share ?

Offline El Fisho

• Members
  • u are expecting somthing about lamas aint ya
« Reply #7 on: 08 Oct 2005, 19:57:55 »
awsome, this could be the way forward for the editors depot

lots of new people can be put off by the volume of text, so a friendly vid could be the answer, but I do agree you need the text version as well, for reference purposes

good work and a great idea

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #8 on: 09 Oct 2005, 03:17:06 »
good tutorial, i actualy never knew how to do that before, I would always just hide a dead guy with the needed weapons under the crate.

however just a gamplay question not just for archie, but for any editor. Wouldnt it be more realistic if you put the weapon in first, so the gun starts unloaded, In real life the ammo and weapons in a crate are seprate for obvious safty reasons, then you just grab the weapon, then grab some ammo for it, and load, right?

good job, i look forward to more.

I think though that if these video tuts go in editors depot, they should be sepret from regualr tuts, like in there own section.

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2005, 04:43:17 »
Very nice, must be a lot of work.

I was thinking about doing the same thing with powerpoint presentations, maybe converted to a flashmovie with articulate presenter 4 or 5, so people don't need office to watch the tutorial. (who hasn't flash in his netbrowser?) Check the quick start tutorial,

When you're familiar with powerpoint it's just a few clicks to convert it to a flashmovie, even record narration and publish, it a great and easy to use program, but it's not free. (I need it for work)

« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2005, 05:00:19 by Blanco »
Search or search or search before you ask.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: 04 Nov 2005, 21:09:51 »
i hate rapidshare so much i havent done anything differently and now it works
anyway great idea with it, this will definately help alot of people out i remember trying to leanr the basics couldnt understand the explanations
great idea