Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Flashpoint DMZ  (Read 1413 times)

Offline RangerX3X

• Members
  • Ranger, out.
    • RangerX3X
Flashpoint DMZ
« on: 25 Sep 2005, 15:27:44 »
This is a campaign that I am working on presently -

Russian and American forces have signed a cease fire accord in the area of operations (to include all core game islands).

The establishment of a DMZ is principle to the success of the accord.

However both sides do not want to give any ground, and there are constant disputes as to exactly where the DMZ is and how large of an area it encompasses.

A natural result of this unease and political wrangling is frequent skirmishes between forces of varying size with engagement and withdrawal as the order of the day.

These engagements build upon one another over time until there is an inescapable flashpoint on one of the islands where all hell breaks loose in the final mission.

The player begins as a lowly recruit in a Russian mechanized squad and slowly advances to the squad leader in the final two missions.

As a harassing factor in some missions remaining Resistance freedom fighters/terrorists (depending on whose view you take) see this as an opportunity to suck the American forces back into a concentrated fight against the Russians to finally remove them from the area.

Any ideas for additional mission concepts within this framework are welcome.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2005, 15:28:59 by RangerX3X »
Ranger, out.

Offline crave22

• Members
  • Wheeeeeee!!!!!!
    • OpSomme
Re:Flashpoint DMZ
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2005, 17:25:57 »
I remember I had a mission very similiar to this. It was a good mission, too.

I've always liked this kind of plot. A lot of stuff can be done with it. :)

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2005, 21:36:04 »
@crave 22 - and so your suggestions are...... what, exactly?

@rangerx3x  - one idea that springs to mind is the 'common enemy' scenario, where the two opposing forces identify the resistance/terrorist factions as the real threat and team up (albeit grudgingly) to defeat them.

you could build in some nice scripting features, like taking command of a group of opposing troops who are constantly going off and doing their own thing instead of following the player's orders...

Offline crave22

• Members
  • Wheeeeeee!!!!!!
    • OpSomme
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2005, 23:16:07 »
Just stating my opinion on it. If I have to ask something or make a suggestion, then:

What island are you using? Personally Everon or Nogova would give the best results (if you're using default game islands). Everon because it can be split right down the middle into north and south near Tyrone. Nogova because of two things:

Same reason as Everon only east and west. Right down the river.

If you noticed, Nogova has eastern style architecture (concrete prefabs) on one side and western style buildings on the other. This creates the perfect atmosphere for a communist vs. capitalist war.

And of course, an obvious reason being that it is the best island, since it has large cities and quaint country sides, plus Resistance objects. If you don't have Resistance, then go with Everon.

Anyway, I always felt the setting is an important part of a mission. That's my two cents on it.

Sorry, bedges. I'll remember to include a suggestion next time.  ;)

Offline RangerX3X

• Members
  • Ranger, out.
    • RangerX3X
« Reply #4 on: 02 Oct 2005, 14:17:39 »
Thanks for the input gents.

After some testing, I have decided to use the FDF mod for this campaign, as well as the BAS Rangers. This will give me a couple of more islands to deal with in the workups.
Ranger, out.

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 05 Oct 2005, 05:08:24 »
A friend I know served with the 75th Rangers over on the N. Korea/S. Korea DMZ, and he's had some very funny and interesting experiences over there. One Op, his chalk was told to execute a recon mission into a DMZ wood where they thought a N. Korean unit was hiding and setting up a FARP. They went through the woods only to find some civies building a cabin.  ::)

Another time, my friend was on a night CP (Combat Patrol) and he heard a rustling to his front behind a wall of bushes. He froze, and was about to light up any OPFOR that stepped through with full auto. Then a chicken popped out of the bush. He almost had a heart attack.

Any one of those senarios would be funny, and also neat to include in parts of missions. At least to give the missions a variety.
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08