Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: "Empty" Scud Missiles.  (Read 795 times)

Abe

"Empty" Scud Missiles.
« on: 20 Sep 2005, 01:19:37 »
This is probably stupidly simple, but why are there three variables for the "setvelocity" command?
I've downloaded the EU Addons, and I'm trying to make an "empty" Scud Missile fly into some units, but the three variables has really thrown me (nothing different happends when I change them).

Also, is there any way to mute the sound on certain units (If the scud is set to fly it has a helicopter sound with it - can I get rid of this?)

Thanx for the help.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
Re:"Empty" Scud Missiles.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2005, 01:39:08 »
The three variables are for three directions.  The first variable is the east-west velocity, the second north-south and the third up-down.  These velocities are in relation to the map, not the unit.  If a northern velocity is applied to the unit, the unit will go north no matter what direction it's facing.

-Student Pilot

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2005, 04:33:35 »
also when things are on the ground setvelocity tends not to work well, try setposing it .2 m above the ground before setting the velocity

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2005, 05:40:54 »
Yes, I have found the setvelocity command to be buggy.  Sometimes objects wouldn't move till I shot them ::)

-Student Pilot

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2005, 11:59:34 »
Velocity is a vector.  It has magnitude and direction.    If you try to describe a velocity, you can't do it with fewer than three quantities.   "100mph, bearing 045 degrees, climbing at 10 degrees."    It turns out that the simplest way to handles these three quantities is by resolving them into 3 component vectors in the way Student Pilot describes.

Speed is a scalar.  It has only magnitude, no direction.   For example, "90mph".  

setVelocity is a buggy command and the scud missile itself is not a a proper object.   You may run into all kinds of problems.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2005, 16:38:18 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Abe

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2005, 16:26:38 »
Thanx for the help.
I'm off to try it out....