Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: I'm sure these are possible...  (Read 1764 times)

Abe

I'm sure these are possible...
« on: 12 Sep 2005, 20:02:52 »
I'm not sure how practical this would be, but with all the experience I'm sure it would be possible.

Has anyone ever thought of underground tunnels?  So it's possible to have a network of escape tunnels at a base.

Then again (I'm sure this one can't be too hard) a stealth suite, like in Metal Gear Solid.  It wouldn't quite fit in with the milsim idea, but it would be quite a cool idea (I've always wanted a real one of them for my Airsofting....)

Kyle Sarnik

Re:I'm sure these are possible...
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2005, 21:04:39 »
This is actualy very very difficult to achieve. No you cannot burrow underneath the terrain in OFP. You have to be aware that Metal Gear Solid has a completely different engine, where terrain is defined differently. The only way to make tunnels is to build them into fake mountains, which are hard to make because they need to blend (texture wise) with the actual terrain. Also, its hard to make big complex structutes like that, and not to mention your fake mountain doesn't have terrain properties, it has the properties of a building or static object, so things like footsteps and craters and vehicle tracks won't show, and also, AI will treat it as an object, which adds alot more problems. Not to mention that OFP has bad clipping issues when it comes to these kinds of sctructures, because it simply wasn't designed with compact urban fighting in mind, but the complete opposite, lots of open terrain where you can go pretty much anywhere, thats also why alot of the houses BIS made are not enterable and, if they are, are small and consist of only a few small rooms.

Coldfire

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2005, 23:15:03 »
Both have been made, there are a few tunnels in BAS's Tonal Island, and a stealth-suit unit was made awhile back (called something like "active Camoflauge" or however you spell it). Tunnels in OFP are above-ground stracturs made to resemble the ground.

What strikes me is why havn't any addon makers made an Island with a built-in series of tunnels? the closest I've seen is Tonal and the "tunnels" arn't too great. If you were shaping the island to fit the tunnels, though...

Kyle Sarnik

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2005, 23:59:18 »
What strikes me is why havn't any addon makers made an Island with a built-in series of tunnels? the closest I've seen is Tonal and the "tunnels" arn't too great. If you were shaping the island to fit the tunnels, though...

Because of what I just said. Its hard to do and OFP doesn't handle it very well. Another thing you have to realize is that OFP lacks dynamic lighting, so there is also an issue with shadows on the fake terrain. Anyways nobody has done it yet because its impractical, and nobody uses the tunnels anyways, AI can't use them.
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2005, 00:01:21 by Kyle Sarnik »

Abe

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2005, 17:48:05 »
Oh...
....well...
...I'm trying.lol.

I didn't realise it would be so hard to do, I've never had anything to do with making addons etc.  Pity they won't work, i thought I had a great idea then......lol.

Manz

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2005, 19:26:46 »
you could make a surface that you can setpos in to air and make buildings on it.. and then move a tunnel below the surface and it is under ground..
do you understand what i mean? :)

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2005, 21:48:27 »
@Manz
I think I know what you mean, but it still wouldn't work.  The tunnels would just be buried and innaccessable (spelling?).  Kyle is right, while tunnels are possible, they are not practical. :-\

-Pilot