Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Advertising 'Piccies'  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
Advertising 'Piccies'
« on: 10 Sep 2005, 07:19:43 »
Many of you will have noticed Tyger's initiative in promoting your missions with the use of a picture or three.

What we now encourage you to do, is start using the Beta Forum as another tool in your armory.

Put a jpeg into the first post of your thread. It will assist you in deciding whether the pic looks like a dog in the <ahem> 'real world', and better still, you'll be able to correct it until YOU get what YOU want.

I won't nag you about the lack of one at start of topic, as it doesn't form part of the road test of your zip file, but these advertorial pics are a huge bonus for us in getting your mission out there and promoted. Ofpec, that's you and I, are getting good exposure whenever we use them.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Advertising 'Piccies'
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2005, 11:37:02 »
Any restrictions and recommendations about the size?

And is it ok to post completely other pictures than the ones that will be included in the zip?

I'm asking because I've created two pics for my next .zip now and they are optimized for the Missiondatabase and Flashnews. The small 100x250 would look bad in the forum and the 640x480, 100kb would be very (too?) big.

EDIT: Hm, just have a look at my topic and tell me if its not okay please. ;)
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2005, 13:42:23 by Trapper »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2005, 15:09:14 »
@trapper

this is the quote from General MacGuba posted in beta news

In fact you are encouraged to include two .jpgs.    One for placebo and flashnews, and the other to upload into the missions depot.  The pic for this should be tall and thin to fit on the page - look at this example.

Keep the size of each pic under a couple of hundred k.

1) Pic for MD - recommended size in pixels - 100 x 200/250

2) Pic for Flashnews - 1064 x 768  (I think ...)

All sizes subject to confirmation once somebody has checked what's what.

I don't see any value for you posting something just to look pretty in the beta forum. (but that's a damn nice pic btw).

The criteria is, whatever you think will help your mission be promoted in the MD eg, and in flashnews eg. MacGuba's given some solid ballparks of what sizes and formats are required. I'd expect the same pic to be in the zip file. But hell, by all means experiment. It's good experience.
Just be cautious not to make them too wide. It makes a mess of subsequent text formatting.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2005, 15:34:48 »
I don't see any value for you posting something just to look pretty in the beta forum. (but that's a d**n nice pic btw).

Don't worry, I plan to use this pic without changes in my zip, as the FlashNews advertising "poster".
I've got the feeling Placebo doesn't really care about the size, as long as he can make a thumbnail out of it. :)
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2005, 15:35:24 by Trapper »

Offline wcrvieira

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2005, 19:39:37 »
That's a good idea Mikero, as always right?  ;)
I just hope my Fraps works allright now :P

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2005, 02:23:22 »
This thread will eventually trickle down the bottom and die a natural death.

In the meantime you are strongly encouraged to read this to understand how seriously we are treating this issue.

It is not mandatory for you to include pictures inside the Beta forum . The empasis here is to get you publishing missions in the first place. However, understand that we are positioning ourselves to be a premier site for Armed Assault, and this is part of our weaponry. It should be part of yours too. So start now.

Just say no to bugz

Offline wcrvieira

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2005, 16:44:36 »
Maybe you could make a sticky about this ;D

That would help some editors that didnt read the macguba post or this thread...

NBR Out!