Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Daddy Long Legs  (Read 1538 times)

Chunky The Tree

Daddy Long Legs
« on: 13 Aug 2005, 23:11:41 »
This isn't some kind of stupid joke. I know this sounds weird, but I really need a Daddy Long Leg unit. If someone can model, animate, and then turn it into a working addon, I will make a site for it and give you full credit.

As you probably know, a Daddy Long Leg would be very simple to model. They're just a small round body with long legs. The size of one is slightly smaller then a handgun.

The moving/walking animation could consist of just a few frames where the Daddy Long Leg's legs are just in different positions.

Once this simple model is modeled and animated and packed up to go, I'll make a site for it and register it at moddb give you full credit. I'm not looking for publicity here. I just really want to be able to place Daddy Long Legs in my forest missions.

Thanks so much   ;D

Dubieman

Re:Daddy Long Legs
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2005, 00:32:29 »
All I can ask is why? :P

So we can step on them? ;D

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2005, 11:35:29 »
ambience I guess. Maybe even super Hi-Tec spying missions.
Before that gets made I want my goat.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline Max_Power

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2005, 12:36:59 »
I've got an answer for everything, but I guess everyone knows what you're talking about.  

The 'Daddy Long-Legs' is a Longbodied Cellar Spider, whereas what I think you are referring to is a harvestman.  I only bring this up because google searching 'harvestman' might give you better results.  Harvestmans (men?) actually have all kinds of weird variants, some even with gigantic horns out the front, but no venom.  Here's a link to some pictures for reference and maybe some textures (as most of the photos are from a dead dorsal orientation)

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/Opiliones/Opiliones.htm

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2005, 13:00:25 »
I always thought that the cranefly was a daddy long legs. Here's a page on that.

http://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/invertebrates_terrestrial_and_freshwater/Tipula_paludosa/
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2005, 13:42:27 »
I always thought daddy long legs were the Leiobunum rotundum displayed in Max_Power's link.

...is it just me, or are close-up pics of spiders creepy? *shivers* ...I hate bugs... ::)

-Student Pilot

Offline Max_Power

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2005, 14:12:59 »
Yeah, apparently, at least in north america, Daddy Longlegs are cellar spiders, but everyone thinks they are harvestman.  I only know the craneflies as leatherjackets, but it might be different in other parts of the world.

Here is a little write up and picture about the actual daddy longlegs.

http://www.zoo.org/educate/fact_sheets/spiders/cellar.html

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
  • a.k.a. hottentotten_mike
    • IM:UC
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2005, 17:59:16 »
search for 'mosquito' in the addon editing section. it's not really finished cos the scripts need some tweaking. if it was i would have posted it in the addons beta testing section anyway. ;)
you can use it if you like, but change all pbo and classnames, etc so that it doesn't interfere with my final version when it's released in the IM:UC demo sometime . ::)
we're looking for members: IM:UC MOD