Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Rappel from Helo to Boat while moving! (ACCEPTED)  (Read 4639 times)

Offline Blip

• Members
  • ...Old OFP FART...
Rappel from Helo to Boat while moving! (ACCEPTED)
« on: 18 Jul 2005, 04:59:20 »
Boat Rappel
Made by Blip

Addons:
snYpir's Support Pack

What is this?
These scripts simulate units rappeling from a helicopter to a boat while the boat and helo are moving. So use it to spice up those black op inserts.

Just like this....

Only in game it looks like this....

More Pics...
Boat Rappel Picture 2
Boat Rappel Picture 3

Comments always welcome!

Blip :joystick:

VERSION 1.2
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2008, 22:04:18 by Mandoble »
...NIGHT WALKER....

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
Re:Rappel from Helo to Boat while moving!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2005, 08:34:57 »
Looks very cool! Is it MP compatible? Can't try it out myself right now since I'm at work.  :(

Offline Blip

• Members
  • ...Old OFP FART...
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2005, 15:48:43 »
Is it MP compatible?

No guarantees yet, but I am working on it.  Hopefully in a day or so it will be.  I have to run some tests in mp.

Definitely want it to be mp eventually though.

...NIGHT WALKER....

Crassus

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2005, 17:41:55 »
Nice work.

Do you plan on doing some more work, perhaps fully incorporate it into snYper's Support pack?

Thing is though, obviously we wont be able to rappel onto a moving vessel that isn't Friendly and moving and has no "cargo" positions. That is until someone can build a work-around to where we can land on that moving Red Side cargo ship and still let us run around.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2005, 21:02:18 »
This looked so cool that I just HAD to try it out! And in-game it looks even better than from the screenshots. :) Very cool script. 8)

One issue I noticed was that the script automatically 'teleports' the helo into position above the ship. So when I moved the helo away from the ship at start, it just automatically 'teleported' back as soon as the script was called. It would be nice if you could script the helo to automatically fly over the ship, and then only 'lock it into position' when it is close enough. Commands to look into: domove; unit action ["auto hover"]

Another odd thing was that my controls kept getting disabled whenever a guy went down the rope. Is there a reason for that? If not, it would be nice to get rid of that.

One way to check if there are cargo slots available in a vehicle is to create game logic, then 'moveincargo' it into the vehicle, then check to see if it is in the vehicle (then delete it). Problem is this doesn't seem to work in MP (atleast, I couldn't get it to work the time/way I tried). For checking if the boat is friendly, try the 'countfriendly' or 'countenemy' commands on the boat and it's occupants.

And like Crassus suggested, it would be nice to have this fully incorporated into snYpir's support pack (i.e. so you can access it via mapclicks etc), although I have no idea how to do that (check the readme, I'm pretty sure it is possible). But also keep the option there for the script to be used how it is now, so that we can script the AI to use it!

Great work!
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Blip

• Members
  • ...Old OFP FART...
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2005, 21:23:23 »
Glad to hear you are all enjoying the scripts!  ;D

Couple of things...

One issue I noticed was that the script automatically 'teleports' the helo into position above the ship

I am working on this right now, trying to figure out the best way for this to work.  I agree that the script would be much nicer if the helo had to fly in and kind of line itself up with the boat.

Another odd thing was that my controls kept getting disabled whenever a guy went down the rope

This is part of the Rappel scripts.  It was included to make sure the scripts executed with out interference.  It should be easy enought to remove.  I will run some tests to make sure the player can't accidentally interfere while rappeling.   ;)

I will look into incorporating it into the support pack.  I will definitely release it as a solo script as well.  

Looking into each of the suggestions and I will have a new version soon, hopefully.

...NIGHT WALKER....

Offline Blip

• Members
  • ...Old OFP FART...
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2005, 18:39:43 »
Version 1.2 is available.

Changes:
-removed the disableuserinput during rappeling.
-helo now flys to the boat, slows down as it approaches, lines itself up and then goes through the rappel scripts.

Known Bugs:
The approach to the boat uses vectors so if you approach the boat from head on the helo may flip directions when directly over the boat.

Needs:
I am trying to convert this to Mulitplayer but am having no luck  ???.  Help would be appreciated.  ;D

SEE FIRST POST FOR NEW VERSION!

...NIGHT WALKER....

Offline SniperAndy

• Members
    • VBS Community
Re: Rappel from Helo to Boat while moving!
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2006, 13:33:40 »
Any luck geting this to work in MP yet?

Edit:
The link is dead as well.
Can you please attach this script again? cheers...
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2006, 14:24:37 by SniperAndy »

Offline Blip

• Members
  • ...Old OFP FART...
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2006, 04:56:12 »
Attached is a example of the scripts.  No luck making them into multiplayer.  I haven't put much effort in to it though.  I'll take a look at them this weekend.

You may have to play with the speed of the helicopter coming to the boat.  Let me know if it doesn't work for you.  I haven't used these in awhile.  Also don't forget to have snYper's Support Pack.

Edit: this resource is available from the Editors' Depot - WEK
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2011, 19:03:32 by Walter_E_Kurtz »
...NIGHT WALKER....

Offline SniperAndy

• Members
    • VBS Community
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2006, 05:20:30 »
No worries mate,
by now I pretty much taken apart snYpirs pack forwards and backwards.
Pretty sure I get this to work (at least in SP).
Not that I'm a big scripter myself, still learning and I only started editing since I got VBS.
Never bothered (or looked into it) in OFP. But I got some mates that sure give me a hand geting this into MP.
Thanks again for attaching it to the thread, now I only need that roof rappel... ;)

Offline Trash Can Man

• Members
  • We are no longer the knights who say "Ni!"
« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2008, 23:19:36 »
when I click on the version link the page is not found....where is the script?

TCM

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2008, 01:20:27 »
Hello TCM,

If you mean the download link for the rappel script, it works fine.........I just downloaded it to check.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Trash Can Man

• Members
  • We are no longer the knights who say "Ni!"
« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2008, 06:23:43 »
Actually, I clicked on the "version 1.2" link and it doesn't work. But....I really need to pay attention more.... I noticed the other link a few posts below...  :D

TCM