Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Deleting Advertisements  (Read 2701 times)

Kaliyuga

Deleting Advertisements
« on: 10 Oct 2002, 02:57:25 »
  Hmm seems to me that even though advertising is strictly off-limits, there are still lots of people that either don't take the time to read the rules, or just don't care about them.

So instead of locking "advertising/recruiting" topics, why not delete them altogether... even if the offending thread gets locked.. it's still there for the world to see, still a waste of space, and not really that much of a deterrent to people not to advertise... their ad will still stick around the first page of whatever board it was improperly posted in long enough to accomplish what they set out to do in the first place.

Especially since you have seen fit to give us the wonderful training depot with this last upgrade.

O.K.  end of rant...
Kaliyuga out :toocool: :dude:

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
Re:Deleting Advertisements
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2002, 04:22:18 »
Thanks for your input mate... I happen to think you are right.

Hopefully there'll be a bit of discussion on the matter in the near future ;)

asmodeus

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2002, 05:44:11 »
I agree!

We've put this in our rules over at our forums and I think it will keep people from advertising very successfully..  

I think this especially makes sense because OFPEC has the Intelligence Depot!   :o

Either that or maybe make rules to punish people for not listening to you.. (ie if they do that and don't know about the rule, no biggy, but if they do it a 2nd, 3rd, 4th time, etc, you could maybe do something more severe)

Just my opinion of course.   ;D  

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2002, 11:53:07 »
I also agree.     Having seen (and indeed reported) the odd dodgy post that was subsequently deleted I would say that the policy of this site post deletion is very slightly - and I emphasize the very - too soft.    

It is good and right for example that posts critical of the site are left up and the general policy should always be that a post should be left if at all possible.   However there have been one or two cases - blatant advertising being a case in point - where deletion would have been perfectly reasonable.  

Perhaps the right approach is to leave the post for a day or so before deleting in so that the guilty party can see what's happened - sometimes it will be ignorance or thoughtlessness rather than malice.

To be fair to some of the adveritisers I think the rules could be a bit more obvious ... in fact where are they anyway?
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2002, 12:31:13 »
Which Guidelines? The ones for Users? It's there when you signup. We trust you read it...........................

:D

We'll be bringing them into a viewable Guideline here as well, but we have other things to take care of first.

Our Lock / Delete policy is very well thought out, it has taken us a long time to consider to Lock and not Delete. Deleting does one of two things:

Forces us to write to the Author

Makes the Author post again, if they don't understand the warning.

With the Locked thread, it's an example for other people NOT to do this kind of thing, as we put a Post in saying 'Oi! Fucking stop it..' :P

Thus it's a Global Warning if you will, for everyone to read.

We'll have a bit of a rethink, but yeah, blatant advertisments etcetc will start to go very soon.
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2002, 15:33:56 »

Black Magic

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2002, 16:44:08 »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ROFLWSPLNB ;) atleast i think thats what it was right Tomb?

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2002, 16:57:42 »
 ::) I have absolutely no idea of what'cha talking about, matey!  ::)

(***SILENCED***)
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2002, 10:00:09 by Tomb »