Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: spelin cheker  (Read 3706 times)

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
spelin cheker
« on: 05 Jun 2005, 11:58:14 »
Is there a chance that OFPEC could run to a spell checker for all posts?  

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
Re:spelin cheker
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jun 2005, 12:18:31 »
Lol, you're kidding, aren't you dude?
Get those missions out there you morons!

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jun 2005, 12:27:34 »
I would assume there isn't such a mod build for YaBB, and I would also presume that we're not going to start building one either.

OFPEC does use a 'bad words checker', but it and it's operating method is a lot simpler to what you're suggesting.
Why would you want a spelling check for posts anyway? We're not here to teach english grammar, but I think 99,9% of all posts made are easy to read and understand.  :)

I might also add that no spelling checker is perfect and can cause more trouble then they're worth.
Not all is lost.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jun 2005, 12:52:53 »
Well it all starts with my atrocious spelling.  In the olden days I was always having to stop and look things up in a dictionary.  Now I stop and do it all in Word.  But it would be really neat to have them spotted for me while typing into the post screen itself.  Just an idle thought not a big deal.  After taking the trouble I do it is mildly peeving to see that many others don't - even though their need is even greater than mine.

We're not here to teach english grammar
Just as well.  That is even worse than the spelling.  But it might be a useful spin off, after all nothing educates people more than having a passion for it.  If people have a passion for OFP why not use it as a means of improving their skills in algebra, trigonometry and grammar?  After all bad grammar and spelling in an overview or briefing will get panned in the beta site - and I hope by the mission reviewers also.

Anyway as I said - just an idle thought, not a big deal.  I mean it would be silly if there was an easy add on but it was not used because no one asked for it.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2005, 12:53:44 by THobson »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jun 2005, 13:27:46 »
Nah, they sorta mess more stuff up then they make good. The bad words filter for example. You can't write the title of Devilchaser's mission N-i-g-h-t-w-a-t-c-h (nightwatch) or it messes up.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline Garcia

• Members
  • Leeds United is the best football team...EVER!
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jun 2005, 22:29:03 »
Think about the poor guys like LCD, who would have the whole screen filled with those red underline thingys ;) :P

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #6 on: 06 Jun 2005, 22:59:23 »
THobson - i feel your pain sir ;)

i used to get rabid about spelling and grammatical errors, but nowadays, having mellowed somewhat, it's more a case of the occasional roll of the eyes. everyone makes mistakes from time to time, but there are those who just don't seem to care one iota...  ???

as far as the mission making scene goes, it seems that grammar, spelling, punctuation and all that jazz, is more of an added bonus - if an author is diligent enough to take the time to check the prose, the mission could also very well be of a high standard.

having said that, with the stark lack of capital letters in my posts, i'm a fine one to talk, mmm?  ;)

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
« Reply #7 on: 06 Jun 2005, 23:07:10 »
Eye kant onderstand anieting u sai bedges!  ;D
Get those missions out there you morons!

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jun 2005, 01:52:17 »
Lol, as soon as I saw this I thought of LCD.
My problem only comes with typos.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 07 Jun 2005, 18:13:39 »
if an author is diligent enough to take the time to check the prose, the mission could also very well be of a high standard.
and vice versa.  If someone has not taken the trouble to get their spelling right, how careless must the rest of their mission be?

I know a very attractive woman that was once looking for dates on the internet (its a long story) - she had a simple rule, poor spelling or poor grammar and they were blown out.  She had very few 'real' dates as a result.  bedges take heart, this is a live example of evolution in action - the poor spellers will die out.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2005, 18:14:04 by THobson »

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jun 2005, 18:29:17 »
I can't help it, I have to do this.

Hey Hobson, you've spelled spelling wrong.  ;D

If anyone comes and says, "It was meant to be wrong." I'll smack a sense of irony into them.
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2005, 18:30:08 by The-Architect »
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jun 2005, 18:39:22 »
It was meant to be wrong. ;D

;D

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #12 on: 08 Jun 2005, 18:44:07 »
As was the word 'cheker'.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #13 on: 08 Jun 2005, 18:47:31 »
*bedges dons his moderator's cape and swoops down among the lambs*

the offtopic gremlins are dancing in the distance - "come no further foul vermin", cries bedges, "or i'll throw this dictionary at thee!"

oh, and he spelled 'checker' incorrectly as well, bye the way. :P

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #14 on: 08 Jun 2005, 22:18:12 »
I never said I could spell - anyway it got your attention. ;D

Heh Planck, bedges - what's happened to all your coloured stars?