Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Comments on OFP2 Intel Depot Disc.  (Read 1350 times)

Tigershark

Comments on OFP2 Intel Depot Disc.
« on: 24 May 2005, 11:23:33 »
Guys,
All this talk about not having a publisher being bad.

One word, STEAM. OK, so Half Life had a reputation which meant that people would want the game enough to use it but I think looking at the bigger picture it demonstrated that the "no publisher" model does work and in fact can beneift the game maker even more by offering a nice cash injection to concentrate on creating more free content (islands) or more R&D.

I wouldn't write off not having a publisher just yet. We all know BIS likes to do things differently. A STEAM type service for them is not beyond the realms of possibility given they have another 1.5 years of dev left before they release OFP2.

Just some thoughts.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Comments on OFP2 Intel Depot Disc.
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2005, 11:26:32 »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Tigershark

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2005, 11:28:13 »
Oh...and although HIGHLY speculative, it was a nice read. Thanks guys. Thanks for the link macguba.

Acecombat

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2005, 20:05:20 »
But with steam you can only d/ld OFP2 write and buy it from the net?

What about people who dont have the resources to do so , 56k users or people simply not with a net connection. Nothing beats selling things the old fashioned way , physically  :P. OFP2 is also going to be on DVD-ROM from what i read so its going to be big in terms of size.

Steam like thing as an option is good but not THE only solution for this , BIS if they want can open their own distribution company and keep a steam like feature because the thing with this feature is its only useful and practical to people in the west or places with good net connections.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2005, 01:35:49 »
although your comments about steam are valid, the answer would be (should Bis choose to be a distro company as well) to offer the 'thing' by post for $5 + handling.

One way or other, distributors need a medium, and snail mail would be the easiest answer backed by internet logins (on modems)
---
The way i've read the posts from bis, cm, and here is that Codemasters no longer wanted to fund bis into eternity. Ie the length of string was becoming immeasurable. Bis simply and clearly didn't have enough on the table Q4, 2004, for CM to keep the funds coming. (probably a reflection on a cash strapped Codemasters, than faith in bis per se)

So I wouldn't read a 'falling out' over this.

In the meantime, what bis clearly do have is an OFP:AA, I choose the lexicon deliberately. Armed Assault will be very much in the vein of OFP:R, meaning enhancements and extra functionality to the engine, just as resistance did.

Yes, the (marginally improved) graphics will be an added 'feauture' of ofp:aa, over and above the changes made with the Resistance expansion pack, but, all-in-all it's ofp with a new skirt.

I think that aa will be a reality folks AND that it wont be ready for prime time either, it will be an "oh shit, we're out of funds" release.

Just say no to bugz