Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Out of Operation Flashpoint Mission Editing  (Read 4277 times)

Bluelikeu

Out of Operation Flashpoint Mission Editing
« on: 03 May 2005, 16:15:43 »
Hello everyone,

If any of you go out of country or something of the sort, and you didn't bring a useful computer, or worse, forgot your copy of operation flashpoint, this might be a little program idea for you.

This program would basically create a mission file for you with the help of the easy to use layout that the OFP map editor offers. The program should have all the abilities that the OFP map editor offers, except the preview ability. You can place units on the map directly, and select their attributes and such.

The idea is that you will have a working OFP map editor that doesn't allow you to preview the map. If you have a seriously out-of-date computer wherever you are going, you can just insert a disk with this program on it, and begin. If your nearest internet cafe in that area allows it, you can insert the disk there and begin mission editing, if you like.

Do you think that this is a stupid idea, or would people accually use it?
If you think people might use it, give me some specifics of what you would like to see, and I'll get right on it.

No, no, no C++, JAVA! (allows for reliability and compatibility)

Thanks,
Bluelikeu
« Last Edit: 03 May 2005, 16:16:47 by Bluelikeu »

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
Re:Out of Operation Flashpoint Mission Editing
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2005, 16:55:14 »
Now that does sound interresting. Although it wouldn't have the preview, so you wouldn't be able to test what you've made  :P

Personally I think go that long without OFP, but it would be good.

If made, I think it would be better to be a downloadable program, to make life easier  ;)
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

Bluelikeu

« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2005, 19:03:41 »
Well, it is going to be a downloadable program, only it will be written in JAVA, so that linux and Mac users won't have to toy with incompatibility.

Any specific's you'd like to see, maybe some changes to the original format of the OFP mission editor.

BTW, can someone get me a useful copy of the picture of the map for Everon, Malden, Kulgujev, and Desert Island?

Thanks,
Bluelikeu

Edit: It might be possible to hook the program up with the OFP Viewer used to view models, but that means that all the game models have to be placed with the program too; not to mention others.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2005, 19:06:02 by Bluelikeu »

Bluelikeu

« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2005, 19:09:57 »
Here's a sample version of the GUI when creating a unit:

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2005, 19:44:26 »
You can find maps of all the defailt islands in the Editors Depot.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2005, 00:36:25 »
I get an error when trying to run that program: "Cannot find main class".

Anywho... this would be a pretty cool program, I think. I would definately like to see it, although I'm honestly not sure about whether it would be useful or not. I do have some suggestions though:

For the GUI, it might be most intuitive to stick with OFP's interface. I can't think of anything that I would like to see added/changed about OFP's interface, so why not stick with what everyone already is used to using?

Actually, you should change the load/save interface into a more 'standard' load/save dialog, that lets you navigate thru your computer, instead of being linked to a specific directory.

One thing you will need to include with the program is some way to add new units into the editor. This could be done manually, by having the user edit a text file or something, but it would be a real pain in the butt. What would be nice is a little 'addon scanner' program where you can just drop a .pbo file onto it, and it will parse the addon's config.cpp to find the appropriate classnames to add in. There was a .pbo decryptor released very recently that had the ability to view files inside of it without decompressing the whole .pbo. Perhaps the author could help you with that. I'm not sure how to look at config.bins, but perhaps the CoC people could help with that...

Keep in mind addons also can add sounds, music, markers, and other types of things into the editor as well. The markers would be the problem, of course...

Along those lines, the ability to add new maps in would be good as well. I'm not sure how island addons are made, but I would assume that there must be some picture file in the addon that stores the island's editor map. Oh yeah, the maps can be found on the OFP CD, in PDF form, I believe.

Actually, a very useful thing to include would be a breifing and overview editor. \

That's all I can think of. Looking forward to seeing some development :).
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2005, 02:56:35 »
Nice job.

Yes, Java over C++ for this kind of thing.

Bluelikeu

« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2005, 07:49:54 »
I'm not sure why you can't run the program, it seems to work correctly on my computer. Perhaps you need to install the lastest version of Sun JAVA onto your computer not Microsoft VM.

Well, the editor doesn't allow you to specify some things that you can change in the mission.sqm file. Easily changing the side of a unit even if he he desginated as a Civilian for one thing.

Thanks,
Bluelikeu

Bluelikeu

« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2005, 09:57:46 »
BTW, those who want to test the program may have to install the latest version of JAVA from the Sun Microsystems homepage. I'll try to figure out why there seems to be a compatibility issue with lower versions. I've used classes and methods from the older versions of JAVA, but the problem probably lies in AbsoluteConstraints.class which you can magically see if you open up the .jar file from a zip folder.

I'll try and make it compatible with new addons, and maps. However, I think that the user may have to find a way to get an image o' the map.

I'll use the same layout as OFP has, but I'm going to add a few extra options to assist with editing.

Thanks,
Bluelikeu

Homefry31464

« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2005, 13:41:14 »
If you can get this to work... I think I have a JAVA emulator on my Palm.. would be cool to do OFP stuff at work.  ;) :)

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2005, 19:45:25 »
..erm, I had this idea a while ago, and it was.. erm.. shotdown?
Had a look for the thread (External Editor or something) but can't find it any more..

Anyway, good luck :)
- Ben

Bluelikeu

« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2005, 21:18:13 »
Ok...yes...that was...reassuring.

Anyway, I do intend to complete this project because I need to sharpen my JAVA skills.

However, I would like to know if anyone, except Homefry, would use this program to their advantage before I become too involved.

As said by General Barron, the major problem I will encounter will be the easy insertion of add-ons into the game. From What I'm thinking now, it would be better if this person would generate a list of the add-ons themselves. Sorry 'bout that, but I'm not so sure how to access the PBO files correctly, let alone interpret what should be added to the Editor.

Another problem that is going to thwart progress would be the map. Well, not the map itself, but the placing of units onto the map. The positions that are created by the map editor may be offset by a few points from the positions in the OFP map editor. Might just be a little buggy problem that people will have to deal with. Remember: I did not encounter these problems yet, since i didn't start yet, but I'm just anticipating the worst and will program the best I can(unlike Microsoft programmers who anticipate the best and program the worst.)

Thanks,
Bluelikeu

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2005, 23:21:46 »
I've only read the first post but... What's the point if you can't preview? I mean, placing units and stuff takes like one to two hours anyway. Unless y'wanna place them macca-style with previewing every dude a zillion times. But then you need the preview button... You might as well just bring good ol' notepad with you so you can write scripts but it turns out they're not working 'cause you haven't got the preview button... :P

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2005, 02:47:57 »
I think its briliant! Ive always been trying to get ofp on my laptop(but its too old and wont work)     because my family an i are always traveling, and thats when I get all my good mission ideas, I would definately use this program.

great idea and i hope you make it
« Last Edit: 05 May 2005, 02:48:38 by penguinman »

Homefry31464

« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2005, 04:05:53 »
I've only read the first post but... What's the point if you can't preview? I mean, placing units and stuff takes like one to two hours anyway. Unless y'wanna place them macca-style with previewing every dude a zillion times. But then you need the preview button... You might as well just bring good ol' notepad with you so you can write scripts but it turns out they're not working 'cause you haven't got the preview button... :P

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

It's nice.... because #1 my laptop that I use for work can't use OFP...  #2 it would work on my Palm.  #3 because I can think of plenty of times when I wanted to make a mission for OFP but didn't have OFP on the computer I was.  I think it's a good idea.