Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: .rar file?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline beefholishness

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
.rar file?
« on: 25 Apr 2005, 02:58:46 »
Well, I found what looked like a Russian site that appeared to be the answer to my dreams-I really desperately needed a black Mercedes car.  I also dled a few other things, all of them civ vehicles.

I use Mozilla, and it doesn't let me dl them anywhere other than my desktop, so that's where they went.  I then took all the files and chucked them in the Addon folder.  I started up the game, and nothing.  So I tried putting them in the Res\Addon folder, and still no luck.  Then, I noticed that the file extension was .rar-and I've never seen this before.  So I tried changing it to .pbo and nothing (hey, it was worth a shot).

These addons had just one file apiece-nothing extra, just one solitary file.

Any ideas?

edit: I have also considered that maybe these files are only for a higher version (I am running 1.85, I can't upgrade due to some corrupt files or something), but they are from two years ago so I doubt it.

re-edit: actually, they're from 6/6/04.  Was something higher than 1.85 out then?  I think it was... still doesn't solve what .rar is...
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2005, 03:04:54 by beefholishness »
don't take the name the wrong way

Offline Morglor9

• Members
Re:.rar file?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2005, 07:02:01 »
i don't know why people always have such problems with .rar. RAR's are a compression file, just like a .ZIP. you need to download a rar utility, like WinRAR. open the .rar with WinRAR, and you will find inside a .pbo, just like in a .zip.
Cymbaline

Jim666

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2005, 13:33:07 »

Offline beefholishness

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2005, 19:56:58 »
Thankyou! ;D

I had a problem with this because I'm a very experienced Microsoft Flight Simulator addon designer, and of all the file extensions I'd seen, I had never once seen a .rar file... well that's changed now.  Thanks again :D
don't take the name the wrong way