Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Red Tide  (Read 30929 times)

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
Re:Red Tide
« Reply #75 on: 10 Apr 2005, 18:57:59 »
I don't know why it's doing that.  The M2s are placed in the editor as empty, and I moveingunner the gunners.  I would very much appreciate it if anyone can offer any other suggestions.
In addition:  Have an empty M2 on some offshore island.  When the gunner is killed setPos this one to where the first one is and then delete Vehicle the first one.

newgun setPos getPos oldgun
deleteVehicle oldgun

This is one reason I usually open proceedings in this mission with an rpg into the M2.  The AI don't shoot at dead ones.  Also you have a lot of loons near the M2 - the explosion of the M2 usually kills the lot.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2005, 19:05:07 by THobson »

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #76 on: 10 Apr 2005, 19:54:35 »
Good idea, THobson!  I have already incorporated this into the mission.  Hopefully this will work and I won't have to mess with the M2s anymore.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #77 on: 11 Apr 2005, 00:43:53 »
@student

found it.

>Tokarov vs bis_resistance

following code snip fixes this, permanently

addOns[]=
   {
      "bis_resistance"
   };
Just say no to bugz

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #78 on: 11 Apr 2005, 01:28:57 »
Thanks, mikero!

I just checked the .sqm and found that that line was already in it.  Strange, because it wasn't there before.  Anyway, it's there, so hopefully that error will go away forever.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #79 on: 16 Apr 2005, 15:15:44 »
Ok, here's version 1.3.  Sorry for the delay, I was waiting for someone to correct my german translation, but real life got in the way, and they were unable to finish it.  So the german translation is still uncorrected.  This version will probably be the release version if no more bugs are found (haven't I said that before?  :P)

Red Tide has been submited to the missions depot.

Fixes/Changes
Changed the flag again

Intro:
I tried to lengthen the text in the beginning, but didn't really succeed.  What you get in this version is about as good as it will get.
Added text to tell player what role he plays.

Briefing:
Fixed time in Intel section
Added airport marker
mention Spetz Natz in briefing

Mission:
Start time increased by 25 minutes.
Added message from departing Spetz Natz
I believe the fleeing script now works, at least it did when I tested the mission.
Camera angle during surrender script changed, now you can see you men's faces
Made sure the men had sad looks on their faces during surrender
Player eliminated from the group pan during surrender script
Enemy soldiers now guard your men during surrender script
Changed the resistance trucks back to 5t trucks
The player, or a member of his group, must be in the base or near the entrance of the base for the mission to end.
Fixed the M2 bug

Outro Win:
Bodies are less organized
Added extra scene of BMPs.

Outro Loose:
Removed text "Because of you, the operation failed"

As you can see, there are many fixes/changes in this version.  Hopefully, all of the bugs have been ironed out.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2005, 21:09:20 by Student Pilot »

Sir Test-A-Lot

« Reply #80 on: 16 Apr 2005, 15:43:21 »
I think there might be an error in the last hyperlink you posted, Pilot.  ;)

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #81 on: 16 Apr 2005, 15:45:17 »
Hmm, I just tested it and it worked.  Are you using a download manager?  If so, turn it off.  I use a download manager and it doesn't like to download files from freewebs.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #82 on: 16 Apr 2005, 17:47:00 »
I am not using a download manager either but I always have problems with your links.  When I click on them they just open another version of the current window.

The way I get round this is:

Right click on your hyperlink
Open Properties
Copy the shortcut
Paste the shortcut in to the address of my browser.

Then I get the file

I have no idead what is going on but this method does work.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #83 on: 16 Apr 2005, 21:01:23 »
I'm an idiot with html, which probably explains why the links don't work so well. ::)

I have the same problem as THobson if I click the link.  I get around this by right-clicking the link, then selecting save target as.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #84 on: 17 Apr 2005, 11:00:36 »
Overview

INSTANTLY better

the paras now look good, not messy. Great spacing between (and yes, i do know how tuff that is to do)

Just great pilot in 'look' alone.

Much prefer the flag as it is now, even though it's politically correct.

It has the unfortunate side effect of being a base anywhere, but no biggie. IF you are moving towards a campaign, which smacks and smells in everything about this introductory mission, you've found the moniker. The logo for the rest.

It's actually a nice shot btw, quite different to the usual photo of Houdan skyline. Pity perhaps it couldn't be sharper (in the rain!!!!)

Nah, I alt tabbed, and alt -tabbed back here. that the ov is a beauty. well done.

Intro:

Wooo, must confess I was looking for it, but last sentence was a smack between the eyes wasnt it !!!

Bloody terrific, bloody good, packs a punch kiddo.
--
You are being analy retentive.

Ten days ago? Come on, you love your year dates and precision don't you. You'll get trapped.

"A few days earlier", or "The previous week"

followed by

"for the rest of that week," drop the preciseness you put there. Always always allow the players imagination to run, never, never, put forward YOUR version of how things are, you are only, the author. Never intrude on how a player 'feels'. The glove will not fit the shoe 9/10 times and you will take away a player's enjoyment. It's not your mission once the bell starts. You are, only the author.

Briefing:
Notes:

2 to 1 always reads better than 1 to 2, that jarred. You mean 1 to 2 servings, a teaspoon and a bit, or do you means odds of 2 to 1.

Plan:

beautifully presented, and easy to read. All links worked (my god!!) Tremendous lack of use of the word HERE, well done. Hear, hear.

Weapons:

you sneaky mongrel. You intentionally dropped the god-forsaken smoke canisters and intentionally kept the G30.

Group:

This is a technical decision on your part, I feel uncomfortable with everyone being a god-damn expert, made more sense to me, v1.2. The previous gave me the feel of my most trusted members being close to me (2/3)

Game:

'good luck guys..."

I was gonna say as follows

"another trap because many of us here have played this. First time grunts will be in shock and awe mode, trying to get a handle on where they are. They wont spot THE spetz"

so what do you do?

Eeep.

Started off in usual fashion, then...

Our people adored the trucks, they loved them so much they shot at nothing else, and finally, (what appeared to be) the dreaded M2 bug has now moved centre stage.

I surendered

showstopper

"_man = uints ... error divide by zero, game stalls to black half way through hands on head AND WE GET SHOT

Just say no to bugz

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #85 on: 17 Apr 2005, 18:58:40 »
INSTANTLY better

the paras now look good, not messy. Great spacing between (and yes, i do know how tuff that is to do)

Just great pilot in 'look' alone.
Thanks

Much prefer the flag as it is now, even though it's politically correct.
Yeah, I do to.

Wooo, must confess I was looking for it, but last sentence was a smack between the eyes wasnt it !!!
Yeah, I guess so. :P But I wasn't too sure where else to put it.

Ten days ago? Come on, you love your year dates and precision don't you. You'll get trapped.

"A few days earlier", or "The previous week"
Yeah, I guess I do. :P  Ok, I changed it to "the previous week"

2 to 1 always reads better than 1 to 2, that jarred. You mean 1 to 2 servings, a teaspoon and a bit, or do you means odds of 2 to 1.
Lol, I like the way you explain things, I'll change it.

This is a technical decision on your part, I feel uncomfortable with everyone being a god-d**n expert, made more sense to me, v1.2. The previous gave me the feel of my most trusted members being close to me (2/3)
I haven't changed the skill levels of the men in the player's group in this version.  What skill they had in 1.2 they have in 1.3

Our people adored the trucks, they loved them so much they shot at nothing else, and finally, (what appeared to be) the dreaded M2 bug has now moved centre stage.
mikero, your OFP must be messed up! :P  I haven't had a problem with my men shooting at the trucks in my tests.  I'll look into it and see what I can do. (I'm not too sure what I can do, the trucks are empty, and are never crewed by anyone.)

and finally, (what appeared to be) the dreaded M2 bug has now moved centre stage.
Are you saying it is still there?! :o

showstopper

"_man = uints ... error divide by zero, game stalls to black half way through hands on head AND WE GET SHOT
*Insert long line of obsenities here*
*Insert a few more while you are at it*

I'm at a loss as to what is going on.  I just tested the mission on my pc, and everything worked the way it is supposed to.  My men didn't shoot at the trucks, when I surrendered there were no error messages, and the enemy soldiers didn't shoot us when we surrendered.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #86 on: 17 Apr 2005, 20:32:15 »
>smacked between the eyes.

You misread me, i liked it very much. After a very long, very detailed intro, you need that dramatic lift to put the player back in control of where she is in all of it. It works. Well done.

>Your ofp

always possible. You can guess why. Addons.

>M2 bug

it was only a perception, it was possibly not there at all, my people were eating one of the trucks, direct line of fire to M2.

>div error

I was down to 2 friends, quite possibly they died at time of surrender and div zero would make sense (to me) if I was alone. You could easily put a script check bug in there to find out.

>rankings

you may not have changed their skill level (i know nothing about such things), you did change their rankings to all expert.

will hold off testing again until others report they got thru, sans errors.
Just say no to bugz

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #87 on: 18 Apr 2005, 01:49:48 »
@mikero
You misread me, i liked it very much. After a very long, very detailed intro, you need that dramatic lift to put the player back in control of where she is in all of it. It works. Well done.
Thanks, I guess I did misread you.

@all
Ok, I have done some experimenting.  I have only recieved the error message when the player dies during the surrender scene.  I have added a line of code to check if the player has been killed or not, and exit the script if he is.  The player should never be killed, however, if he has surrendered.  I added this line of code for the remote possiblity he is killed.  Also, I have made another adjustment to the surrender script.  Occasionally, the dead men in the player's group would come back to life and surrender.  Now, this should never happen.  I also came across a situation that could cause an error in another script in the surrender scene.  This has been fixed.  Download the fixed version above or from the 1st page.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #88 on: 18 Apr 2005, 07:24:10 »
Do you have something like:

{_x setCaptive true} forEach units group player

To set the players team so that no one will shoot at them after they surrender?

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #89 on: 18 Apr 2005, 13:52:01 »
Yeah, I have that line of code in the surrender script.

I also have a trigger with a size of 5000x5000 set to Resistance Present.  In the On Activation line I have put: resunits = thislist.
Then, in my script, I have the line:
{_x setcombatmode "BLUE"} foreach resunits

So all the resistance units should have their combat mode set to blue, which means they shouldn't fire on the player's group even if the player's group wasn't set captive.

Do I have a syntax error with the trigger or that line of the script?