Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Dak To ('Nam mission)  (Read 11495 times)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:'Nam: Dak To (SP)
« Reply #15 on: 21 Mar 2005, 11:27:33 »
Page Cannae Be Found when trying to download the mission. :-\

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #16 on: 21 Mar 2005, 13:07:10 »
Hmm seems that my host is having some problems. I'll talk to him today to see what's going on. ;)

In the mean time, here's an alternative download link:

http://ofptf.net/users/Hawkins/Dak_To_v1_1_Beta2.zip
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2005, 13:10:14 by Hawkins »

Offline burroughs

• Members
  • Join SpetsNaz: meet interesting people and kill'em
    • Grupa Reagowania Operacyjno - Manewrowego/Mobilnego
« Reply #17 on: 22 Mar 2005, 14:15:07 »
Hey,Hawkins!I've just visited your site just like I am used to do almost each day and to my astonishment this time it's updted. Good!That's not much of an update, but even the furthest journey begins with a single step. I watched the pictures from the Ah Shit valley and I got pretty excited with the project. When you mean it, my question is wheter you are going to release something about the Rangers' struggle in there? If so, me and a friend of mine, both OFP/Nam maniacs, would be more than over the moon to see that finally released. We've been reading some books on the subject recently like "L company LRRPs in Vietnam" or "Blood on the risers" by Leppelman. It's time somebody took care of the Rangers' contribution in the Vietnam war, I mean - somebody who knows the subject backrounds. Dark Angel was doing something like that in his project, a campaign supposed to be called "Shadow valley", but I doubt if it's still on. So, all our hope is thus put in you along with lots of trust. good luck.
"...1st rule regarding SpetsNaz: you do not talk about SpetsNaz.  2nd rule is: you do not talk about SpetsNaz.  3rd rule is to obey the first two. ... "/ V.Suvorov, "SpetsNaz; the story behind the Soviet SAS."

Offline burroughs

• Members
  • Join SpetsNaz: meet interesting people and kill'em
    • Grupa Reagowania Operacyjno - Manewrowego/Mobilnego
« Reply #18 on: 22 Mar 2005, 14:17:29 »
Oh, I forgot to mention: Rangers lead the way!
Bill Lee, sgt 1st class, H Company (Ranger), 75th Infantry
"...1st rule regarding SpetsNaz: you do not talk about SpetsNaz.  2nd rule is: you do not talk about SpetsNaz.  3rd rule is to obey the first two. ... "/ V.Suvorov, "SpetsNaz; the story behind the Soviet SAS."

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #19 on: 03 Apr 2005, 19:29:27 »
Hoping to release a new version today. Just have to test some new stuff out myself. I've inlcuded the CAS and, hopefully, solved the problem with those US soldiers being on the NVA side.

Burroughs,
We've been reading some books on the subject recently like "L company LRRPs in Vietnam"
That book is on my "to-read" list. ;) Currently waiting for another book to arrive, but after that one I'm going to order that. So, you can at least expect missions based on the events described in that book once the island is released. ;)

EDIT:
And, I kept my promise, almost. Missed by 56 minutes, finnish time that is. Anyways, had to redo some radiovoices since they went crazy after I turned their volume up. :o New version available from the first post. Don't forget to download Footmunch's great F4, which can be also found on the first post. ;)

EDIT2:
Oh forgot to add, there's a small bonus (or actually 6 of them) for those who finish the mission. The bonus is randomly selected, so that alone should encourage you to play the mission again. ;) I wont tell what they are, you just have to look yourself.
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2005, 00:10:44 by Hawkins »

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #20 on: 19 Apr 2005, 19:44:04 »
This mission is just about ready I think Hawkin. One or two little fixes and it'll be ready to go.

I thought your little bunkers were shit hot. I might have to borrow them myself.   ::)  Even after I thought everyone was dead there was still the possiblity of getting zapped by someone hiding in a bunker. I liked it. Also, I'm glad that you were'nt afraid of using the CoC mines. Lots of people think its too hard with them but I think it rocks. I was nailed by one in a tent. Doh!

First I'll go through the two errors I found then I'll go on about what I think would enhance the mission further.

Errors
I noticed two things while playing the mission.

First was a big error message which filled the top of the screen. I didn't catch what it was in full but it had something about "moveincargo heko 2" in it.

Second was a bit of text that shouldn't have been present in the radio message from Kilo Red 1 "...run complete give us a call..." was part of the message.

Misc Ideas
The mission as it stands is top quality. Its nice to see that someone out there is still making missions properly. However, and isn't there always, I think one or two things could make it better still.

I love to watch air support going in. I think it would be beneficial to have the cloud cover, and fog, clear a bit so we watch the Phantom doing its stuff. It would look really cool seeing the bad guys getting toasted.

The only other thing really is that I think its too short. It would make a great mission in a campaign series.

I hope you get this finished and released soon. It'll definatly be one I keep.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #21 on: 19 Apr 2005, 21:06:36 »
Thank you The-Architect! :)

There indeed was an error in one of my scripts, which creates some reinforcements that are sent to Dak To if too many west loons die. That's been fixed. :)
Also the issue with the Phantom not showing up, I made it make another run, and if you don't see that, the player has to be blind. :D "Get into your holes down there boys..."

About the campaign, this actually is/was the first mission of a 4-5 mission mini-campaign. I have all the missions ready, but I'm not totally sure I'll release those. There's so much other "nasty 'Nam stuff" I have here that is more top priority. ;D Though, I will release one more beta of this one, and if there's no big troubles with it, I'll wrap it up as final. ;)

Thanks again for the kind words. :)
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2005, 21:10:02 by Hawkins »

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #22 on: 19 Apr 2005, 21:21:28 »
No probs.

The issue with the Phantom.
I did see it fly past. However, I was saying that I wanted to watch it. The cloud cover meant I just caught a flash as it went by. No matter though, its not really relevant.

Maybe you couyld take a look at my latest mission. Its an early beta. The link is in my signature.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2005, 21:22:08 by The-Architect »
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline sim

• Members
  • Hot! Real hot! Damn Hot!
« Reply #23 on: 03 May 2005, 21:56:42 »
Any updates on this Hawkins mate?

:)
The Unsung Campaign Team Leader

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #24 on: 03 May 2005, 22:00:32 »
Yep, I have a new version for this one. Waiting for a few sounds, but if you want, I can post the new version which has some placeholder sounds until I get the ones I'm waiting for. ;)
The new version features more bar'b'que and probable FF incidents if you get too close. ;)
« Last Edit: 03 May 2005, 22:00:44 by Hawkins »

Quang Tri

« Reply #25 on: 03 May 2005, 22:28:28 »
Yes Hawkins if you dont mind plz post the new version would like to try it out sounds really good from what ive just read  ,,,,As always keep up the good work ;)

Quang tri

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #26 on: 04 May 2005, 11:53:21 »
OFP 1.96 vet mode, bench 5895, no super ai

played in mods\ folder

Readme:

no reference to the F4 phantom

potentially incorrect version number (b3 eg)

Overview:

a careful study of the pic shows the favorite sneaky bunker.

The red text unfortunately is almost illegable at that size.

Although the revision is in the pic, there is no author advertising.

Intro:

Is very well put together and tells a story. The choice of bold lowercase arial is very good.

The use of the music means that even if a storyline weren't present, there would be good situation awareness of the mission to follow, where we are, where they are and etc.

Great sound of parrot. Just right.

The Jeep moving 3 meters makes no sense at all. I would have cut the bit with them getting in and just show a shot of the jeep coming into camera view and stopping.

Briefing:

Plan:
Well written but a little too terse on the front page. A link direct to where we will kick off out of the chopper would be helpful.

The map is too noisy. There is at least one typo, sqaud

The notes are very good
There is no gear selection. Fine

The group is puzzling. There is a single recruit amongs all experts. This is strange and not explained. I can imagine he's a fly in replacement, but I need an explanation why the rest of us ar so sh*t hot.

Mission:

The skill indicator is damn useful, makes a replay game inevetible, That's good, not apparent though who's skill is who. I selected max-on for both.

I like that bold arial font very much.

The wait for the chopper is well done. gives player a chance to get adjusted. Particularly to unfamiliar jungle scenery. Visually, it's a winner with the 3? hueys coming in. great atmosphere.

Yep, in flight, I immediately disliked that first briefing page again, I really didn't want to scroll around for myself to find out where' i'd land. A single target marker is needed, even just dak to would do.

The mission itself plays well. There's confusion, probably deliberate, with loons at 2'oclock. At a certain point Bravo squad mix in with them and get caught in the crossfire.

All comments re hidden bunkers from others, from me too, they're damn good.

BUG

Hunt the last loon

the remnants of the other two squads remain, centre town, admiring the sky. I clean out a bunker extreme south road, and another, extreme west road. Loons are generally hiding in or around them. Not clear to me, but i think they are the remnants of the original defenders. Either way mission wont end till I find the very last one, and that shouldn't be necessary. It's only me, doing any work.

-endmission

Outro:

confused by why a single escaping loon was shot

confused why the reference to John Wayne.

The nudes appeared to be authentic 1960's material.

SHOWSTOPPER

missing MIF_CIGGY\Mif_Ciggy.Clouds.sqs

OFP hangs in the black screen of death,

Overall:

Very good use of authentic music to set the scene and a credible attack on a viet-minh held town. A credible counter attack also. The napalm or whatever was happening from the sky was a waste, I was in no position to see it, let alone, would I dare watch it (I was defending east side)

Rating:

7, if the black screen of death and hunt last loon bug are removed.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #27 on: 04 May 2005, 15:31:07 »
Thank you for playing mikero! :)

no reference to the F4 phantom

potentially incorrect version number (b3 eg)
Cheers for that, I forgot to update the readme it seems. :) Will do it for the next version.

Although the revision is in the pic, there is no author advertising.
Yep, I don't usually add my name in there, that's what the readme is for IMO. ;)

The Jeep moving 3 meters makes no sense at all.
Tried to simulate a soldier checking papers there, might add some speech to it, with the guard saying "Ok your clear to go sir" or sth like that.

Great sound of parrot. Just right.
It's actually a monkey. ;D No worries though, first heard it in my mates mission and thought it was a parrot.

The briefing, yes many have said that it should have a brief info on what the players squad does. I'll add some notes to it made by the squad leader. It should be sufficent. :)

The skill indicator seems to change the select x skill on either cases when you slide one of the sliders, I'll look more into it.

BUG

Hunt the last loon
Solved in the future version, I made a script for the enemy which is in the current version too but it didn't work. It's now fixed and the enemy moves into the center of the town. IIRC, I also made the remaining friendly forces move into their own flanks, waiting for the enemy.

About the outro, the NVA soldier was trying to escape when a guard saw him (Something out of the movie FMJ which I though might fit into the mission).
John Wayne reference was used when some loon did something like killed an enemy soldier and seemed proud of it, and his friends or fellow squadmates would ask, "Who do you think you are? John Wayne?". :)

The nudes appeared to be authentic 1960's material.
They sure are. I've added girls from january, february, march, april, may and june to the mission. They're randomly selected at the end and all are from 1968. ;)

SHOWSTOPPER

missing MIF_CIGGY\Mif_Ciggy.Clouds.sqs
Now that's weird. Did you get it in the mission or somewhere else? In the main menu maybe? That shouldn't happen in the mission itself. It's almost impossible. :o

The napalm or whatever was happening from the sky was a waste, I was in no position to see it, let alone, would I dare watch it (I was defending east side)
Fixed in the future update. You'll wish that you had a foxhole to dig into when you see it. ;)

Again, thanks for playing mikero! :)

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #28 on: 05 May 2005, 04:57:18 »
>check papers.

THAT makes perfect sense.

>parrot.

there are no monkeys in vietnam, only Polar Bears, and ,,, parrots.

Regradless, where it happened and when it happened was perfect. I admire authors who know when to back off the gas pedal and understate things. Now realise that that was why I though it so good.

>author advertising

for my future savage attacks on other people's creations. 8) Are you saying this is a bad idea (tm) or I'm right to at least suggest it? As in not necessarily in the readme? Do you think it too noisy, too crass? Please convince me not to include such comment if you feel I'm strongly wrong.

>showstopper

it only appeared after the advertorial to play mission again.

I play the entire vietnam thing, ALL addons, ALL anims, everything, out of mods\ folders. It could be me?
I dont alow anything in standard ofp folders for hopefully obvious reasons.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #29 on: 05 May 2005, 14:57:52 »
for my future savage attacks on other people's creations. 8) Are you saying this is a bad idea (tm) or I'm right to at least suggest it? As in not necessarily in the readme? Do you think it too noisy, too crass? Please convince me not to include such comment if you feel I'm strongly wrong.
Hehe, it's ok to suggest it mate. :) I just find the readme a better place to add the authors name and contact details. Some find that the overview is a good place too since (unfortunately) some people don't read the readme at all, and if they do read it, they read it once, when they first download the mission. :) Hell, usually when I make MP missions I add the contact details to the notes section in the briefing. ;D It's good to make suggestions, I always consider every suggestion I get from beta testers. The overview is a great place to add your name and e-mail if the mission maker wants to do so. :)

Sometimes when you don't have the island's anim folder in the main addons folder (OperationFlashpoint\AddOns), and when you go back to the main menu, the last thing you did (played a mission or edited one) will play on the backround. Since OFP looks for anims in the main AddOns folder, it can't find some scripts that are used in for example your own mission. So that's why I asked about the main menu thing. :) I also play with my 'Nam mod folder and don't have any unofficial addons in my addons or res\addons folders. Though, I put island anim folders to the main addons folder so I can view the island anims and avoid the above mentioned problem. :) Mod folders rock, but it's a shame that island anims only work from the main addon folder.

I hope that made some sense, english isn't my first language. :P

Stay tuned for the new version, which will (hopeffully) be released today. :)