Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Abandoned Armies  (Read 216888 times)

Mr.Pibb

Re:Abandoned Armies
« Reply #240 on: 16 Feb 2005, 02:48:34 »
 Finally finished the mission after 8 hours roughly lol. Very nice outro, was awsome seeing some of those shots of the map locals, and neat seeing the cam zoom out away from the island at the end of it. It was tedious trying to finish off the North army, I kept wondering if there were guys out somewhere on the map that I needed to somehow find to win after already combing the map once. I thought I had cleared the base the first time, but I apparently missed some guys cause upon returning I found another infantry team running about and also located like 5-6 snipers and then was awarded mission completion.

During the mission I many times found enemies out in the boonies where later on when I was close to completing the mission I was thinking man, how will I find all these guys - but it seems that you must have it so the enemies return to base once the opposite side is nuetralized, or else I dont see how I could have been that lucky to have by accident killed every enemy outside of their base parimeter.

Wow. A single player mission that topped my now previous mission record time, which was a CTI game that lasted 6 hours - sure is nice to have that infinite save function ;D

Great stuff, the neat thing is, now that I know whats goin on to a degree, I can already feel the urge to want to play it again and try different stuff, but not tonight I think, all burned out on ofp right now ::)

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #241 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:33:17 »
@GRK
Thanks.  A lot of good comments there. I am glad there was sufficient armour left over from the N/S battles that you could get some of your own.  On Alexi's rank, It would be really good if I could increase that during the mission.  Failing that I will just need to think of a plausible reason that will not strike an odd chord when the player gets to the briefing for the first time.

I am anxious, you have got to where macguba got to and the last loons were never found.  I hope they turn up for you.

Your comments about the fog support many other's views.  You see I know how it works so I expect it and never saw it as a problem.  It will be fixed.

@Mr.Pibb
I'm so glad you enjoyed it and had no problems with the ending.  You are correct, under certain conditions the loons on each side return to base.  Sorry if the last bit was tedious.  I am thinking of having the last few loons surrender to help avoid that, and any possible ‘lost loon' problem.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #242 on: 16 Feb 2005, 12:03:10 »
From reading people's reports it seems to me that the Lodge is not a safe place.    I'm not suggesting that it should be totally secure, there just seem to be a lot of passing patrols.  

I can think of several things to do about this (set knowsAbout values of passing enemies to 0 on a loop;  an exit trigger making approaching loons leave the area;  more trees and bushes around to make it more hidden;  fences at a distance to divert the wandering patrols away;  perhaps even a new location that isn't quite so in the way of the various forces moving from north to south) but none are totally satisfactory.     The answer, as so often, is probably some kind of combination.

And since it hasn't totally ruined anybody's mission perhaps I being overfussy and its fine as it is.

Very pleased to hear somebody else has finished it.

I had no problems getting my loons to do what I wanted in the tank.    I always getin first myself as commander - I dont' know if that's actually necessary but I suspect it helps.   I have in the past had the kind of problems GRK describes.   I dont' actually think its a rank problem - you are group leader and that overrides rank.     You have to be a private at the start for the plot to make sense.  Pity there is no setRank command.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

GI-YO

« Reply #243 on: 16 Feb 2005, 16:53:50 »
Here is a little progress (if you can call it that) update. The bradley+vulcan convoy i discovered in la trinete very dead, so i stole a load of RPG and AA weapons. A small squad turned up from the north so i ran away. On my travels i see small squads about the place and spotted one on the small road that leads to the coast to the north, which winds down a hill. so i killed them all, first time.  Oh yeah  :). The fog is closed in now and i have about 10 meters visability which is hampering my progress cause i walk straight into any baddies. Currently trying to bust up the airfield. More soon (this mission rocks but i suck at it  ;D)

GI-YO
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2005, 16:54:22 by GI-YO »

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #244 on: 16 Feb 2005, 16:56:44 »
I quite like the idea of patrols happening on the lodge, and probably happening quite often if they are following the player :).   Once the rescued civilians are at the lodge they are safe (from everyone except the player that is ::) )  They obviously hide deep in the ruin when any patrols pass and so don't get noticed.

Very pleased to hear somebody else has finished it.
I make it three now.  You, Planck and Mr.Pibb.  I am not sure how I feel about that. When I was putting it together I had envisaged something that would take weeks.

I had no problems getting my loons to do what I wanted in the tank.
I was puzzld by that too.  I have not chance to check it out yet.

EDIT:
@GI-YO
Just saw your post.
spotted one on the small road that leads to the coast to the north, which winds down a hill.
Do you have a map reference.  I can't place it.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2005, 16:58:47 by THobson »

GI-YO

« Reply #245 on: 16 Feb 2005, 17:24:27 »
Thanks for the quick reply. Grid reference was EH 21 and the squad was looking to the north. Hope that helps.

GI-YO

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #246 on: 16 Feb 2005, 17:50:53 »
I make it three now.  You, Planck and Mr.Pibb.  I am not sure how I feel about that.

It's good.     I don't know how much gameplay it took me, 16-20 hours I would guess although the last few were running around after that last loon.     It took a lot of effort and dedication, do not be misled.   Nobody is going to finish it in much less than 8 hours of gameplay and very few less than 12.    That's quite an achievement.      Compare it to unimpossible, which is meant to be as hard as it can be.   This is not - this is meant to be more fun.    Also this has infinite savegames, which makes it quicker and easier.

As you edit and improve it will get more difficult - that's the nature of editing.    Also, I for one was playing it for the result - I was deliberatly not taking the time to float around admiring things.

And just remember what you are trying to do.  You are spreading the enemy out over the whole island.   The density in any one place should never be that high.   You are trying to create a long sequence of relatively small battles.     It should be possible to calculate a theoretical time:   the distance you have to travel, plus the number of battles plus the time each one lasts.

If you like having lots of patrols pass the lodge, then keep them.    :)

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #247 on: 16 Feb 2005, 20:38:52 »
Mac

Thanks.

GI-YO.  EH21  - Got it.  I knwo wat they are.  They should not have been stationary for too long I hope.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #248 on: 16 Feb 2005, 21:27:15 »
On the subject of ordering your men in tanks:

I can confirm what macguba said.
In my experience you must board a tank as commander first.
Then you will be able to change positions at will and give the others directions properly.
If you ever get out of the tank, you must get back in as commander again in order to have the same result.

I never saw any sign of enemy troops near the lodge, nary a one, and I had a whole fleet of vehicles there.

OK.....Here is the final part of my story.

I have decided to visit Chapoi, travelling there via the road down the west coast of the island passing through La Pessange on the way and visiting other villages ......just in case there is anyone there.

I pop back into my T80 and set off.

Journey to Chapoi
-------------------
I went via Larche then on to St. Louis and turned south for Dourdan.
Dourdan was empty except for a burning fire, which I put out. I took the west road from Dourdan, through Arudy, which was empty, and continued on to La Pessagne.
There was no sign of anyone in La Pessange, just a fire burning brightly.
A word about these fires......every time I came across a lit fire, I put it out, mostly in the hope that my fps might benefit. However my fps didnt seem to notice.
I continued on to Vigny, just to check that it was still clear, it was.

I continued past La Pessange again, heading south.
I came across a broken jeepmg at the intersection of the main road with a dirt road.
It had hit a road sign and had a puncture....amazingly the road sign was still standing.
No sign of any bodies or stragglers.
I continued on and presently came across an Ammo truck at the side of the road, nobody was around, the truck was undamaged.
At the next junction I turned right, I visited La Riviere, which was also deserted, so I turned round and rejoined the main road and continued towards Chapoi.

A short distance before the turning for Cancon I came across an abandoned Fuel truck, it also was undamaged.
I drove it further off the road and then got back into my tank, refuelled, and set off again.
I turned right at the next junction in order to visit Cancon.
Cancon was quiet and peaceful, so I turned north across country, I was planning to visit the Fuel dump west of Chapoi first.

I parked the T80 beside the woods south of the fuel dump and continued on foot.
The fuel dump was deserted, apart from a Repair truck.
The Fuel truck further up the road to the west probably came from here.

Chapoi
------

I continued on foot east to Chapoi.
It was starting to rain now and the fog was coming down rapidly.
I noticed a tank wreck in the southern part of Chapoi and a few bodies lying in the streets.
I found Stamenovs HQ and noticed there were a few soldiers lying down beside a fire, in front of a tent.
I took them out one at a time and decided I would get in there and put that fire out.
I continued round and noticed an Abrams and a Bradley parked in the compound. There was also an M113 Ambulance and some support trucks on the other side of the compound.

Rounding the final corner before the entrance, I noticed a lone soldier lying prone up near the sandbag defensive perimeter. I shot him.
I reached the Abrams, and, as I suspected it was in a similar state as the T80 was before I repaired it.
I didnt bother trying to repair, re-arm and refuel it.....one bullet proof vest was good enough for me.
When I got near the fire I noticed a policeman in the tent....Stamenov??.......so I shot him and the message popped up to confirm that Stamenov was dead.

I think I know how Stamenov died twice, it is all down to save games and my memory.
I saved my game before I went back to La Trinite to watch the convoy hit my mines.
During the subsequent battle I got the 'Dead Stamenov' message.
When I was tidying up La Trinite afterwards.....killing off the stragglers...I died.
I wasn't shot, I went too close to one of my own AP mines.
So, when I reloaded and did it all again, I suspect that this time Stamenov didn't get killed.
However, no matter, he was dead now.

After Stamenov was dead, two women issued forth from his tent and ran off.
I noticed a whole bunch of civilian bodies behind and around Stamenovs tent.
I put out the fire, and decided to steal the Bradley and see how far it would take me back to my T80.
About half way there it ran out of fuel, so I hoofed it the rest of the way.
I used the T80 to check around Chapoi for troops, I found 4, which I crushed.
I couldn't find any more, but I did notice a partially damaged T72 on the hillside west of St. Marie.

Then bingo!!
Partially buried in a building in Chapoi, I noticed an Abrams.....mostly undamaged.
The crew had obviously got it stuck in the building and was unable to escape, so they had abandoned it.
I left my T80 and boarded the Abrams, I took it to the support trucks and refuelled, re-armed and repaired it.
Smashing, I now had a fully functional tank.
I decided it was time to revisit the airfield to search for stragglers, but I would return here later.
As Stamenov has just been killed, it will take a little while for the stragglers to gather.

Back to the Airfield
--------------------

Heading east I eventually came to the north-south junction, as I wasn't planning to visit Le Port I turned north for Houdan.
About half way there I noticed something in the middle of the road coming my way.
I had my lights on and despite the fog I could see it was a person.
I put my foot down, thinking....a straggler returning home to HQ.
Aaarrrrgghhh......it was a woman.
I swerved and just missed her, leaving the road and crushing a few trees and bushes in the process.
She for her part just continued down the road as if nothing had happened.

I continued on at a reduced speed in case I met any more women.
Nobody at Houdan....I carried on to Dourdan and then La Trinite.
I took a wide berth around La Trinite to avoid hitting any of my AV mines that might still be there.
I went straight to the HQ at the airfield to see if anyone had turned up.
I was almost immediately hit with an RPG, so I carried on past turning also in order to see where he was, his next 2 RPG's just missed me, then it went quiet, so I think he had no more RPG's to fire.
I eventually spotted him, he was prone by now, so I crushed him.
There was another 2 soldiers which I despatched in a similar manner, and also 4 snipers, they also met the same fate.
Still no objective complete, so there must be more, but I failed to find them.
After a while of searching about, I headed back to the lodge for any repairs and extra crew.

I repaired at the lodge, and ordered #5 into the Abrams as gunner.
I switched to commander position and then ordered #2 to board as driver.
I intended to switch to driver position once he had boarded and make my way back to the airfield.
However, as soon as #2 had boarded he zoomed off in a southerly direction.
I was going to order him to stop so I could switch positions, but I decided to leave him alone....I was curious to see where he was going.
It looked very much like he was going to Chapoi, yet I hadn't ordered him to go anywhere yet.

Chapoi again
------------

The Abrams came to a juddering halt within the area enclosed by the sandbag wall after smashing through them.
I switched to driver and started looking about.
Nothing inside Chapoi or the defensive perimeter.
The fog was very very bad now and it was raining cats and dogs.
I started for St. Marie, I couldn't even see the road, even with my lights on, so I stopped and waited for a break in the fog.

Eventually after making coffee and drinking half of it, the fog had lifted enough for me to see the road.
I reached St. Marie, I went past the 'Danger' signs and into the middle of the village.....nothing here.
I was being bombarded with grenades, but I presume this was a script setposing grenades at my position because I was inside the mined area.
Anyway I left and headed for the damaged T72 I had noticed earlier.
I gave up driver position to #2 and boarded the T72 instead.
I managed to nurse the T72 to the support trucks and now had a fully functional T72

I ordered a 'return to formation' and went to check out the southern area of Chapoi.
We found 4 soldiers in the southern part of Chapoi.
I reported the first sighting, a machine gunner, who ran past the front of my T72 on the way to the HQ area.
The Abrams gunner (bless her heart), decided to fire using a HEAT shell, which killed the soldier but also damaged my newly refurbished T72.
She immediately switched to MGun and killed the other 3 soldiers, much to my relief.
I returned to the support trucks and got repaired.

I next headed to the fenced enclosure north-west of the town.
There was a whole mess of snipers here and 3 other troops.
Between me and the Abrams we took them all out in short order.
Voila!!.......another objective complete.
Time to head north again for the airfield.

We leave Chapoi for the last time and head north again.
The fog has really come down again by the time we reach Houdan and it is raining hard.
Suddenly, just a little north of Houdan, a figure appears in front of me.
Beacause of the fog I hadn't noticed this person till they were very close.
You guessed it, it was a woman again.
I don't know how I managed to miss her but I did, she continued on her way into the fog and the countryside was minus a few more trees and bushes again.

At La Trinite I once again took a wide berth to avoid any remaining mines, but #2 in the Abrams had other ideas and steamed through town.
**BOOM**....I got the message '1 cease fire'.
We continued on to the airfield.

Airfield again again
--------------------

The fog has lifted quite a bit and the rain has stopped.
I came to a halt just short of Andropovs HQ, I had my lights on, and I could see a whole mess of bodies.
I was thinking, did I really kill all those soldiers.
Then I noticed that one of them was not a body, it was a prone soldier.
Just as I noticed this my character reported the sighting and #5 in the Abrams (bless her), took care of him with her MGun.
And that was it.....final objective complete......end of mission.
Endscene and credits.

----------------------

I was killed during this mission 3 times.
The second time has already been described.

The first time was when I was in La Trinite, waiting for the northern convoy to leave, so I could steal the BMP Ambulance.
I was in fact hiding under said ambulance.
Whilst waiting there, an enemy soldier joined me under the ambulance, so I had to shoot him.
This caused the rest of the soldiers to start running about looking for me.
After a while, when I thought things had calmed down a bit, another soldier joined me under the ambulance, so I shot him also.
After another period of intense searching, the soldiers appeared to settle down again.
Then a third soldier crawled under the ambulance so, once again I shot him and I promptly died.
I like to think that my bullet went through the soldier, bounced off the BMP and then hit me, but it is more likely that we both fired at the same time.

The third time I was killed was at the airfield, when I was firing the AT4 at that Abrams.
I was firing the AT4 so it would pass between the building I had been hiding behind and the Ammo truck parked next to it
I was too close to the building when I fired and the AT4 hit the building and killed me.
It was sheer carelessness.

Despite my very low fps during this mission, I really enjoyed playing it.
After a while you don't notice the fps that much, mostly due to the way I play anyway.
Slowly and carefully........at least most of the time anyway.
Two missions I have played now that I have enjoyed immensely, Abandoned Armies (this mission) and the Un-Impossible Mission by Macguba.

Ok, so it still needs a little polishing, but not a lot, it is mostly small details.
Once again, thanks to THobson and his supporting voice actresses and actor for a great mission experience.

Link below has my debriefing picture.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #249 on: 16 Feb 2005, 21:28:33 »
And the next link has the 2 pages of my stats.

Planck

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #250 on: 16 Feb 2005, 22:18:24 »
Plank

You are totally wonderful!  I loved your story and it was told in such an amusing way I laughed so much I had tears running down my face.  I am so glad you enjoyed it.

On the technical side I would prefer it if the player did not have to leave each base 'to soak' for a while until all the loons turn up.  Also, about the jeep:
It had hit a road sign and had a puncture....amazingly the road sign was still standing.
This sort of minor damage is a pain, the loons get out and walk!  I now have it that something like this will result in the jeep being repaired and the loons getting back in to continue their patrol(It is not unreasonable to expect a solder to change a tyre after all!)

Edit:
It is interesting that the women stick to the road.  There is no reason why they should their waypoints are quite random.

On the women that run away from Stamenov's tent.  Did you notice if they left the compound, and if they did was the wire intact or had vehicles made holes in it?
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2005, 22:29:14 by THobson »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #251 on: 16 Feb 2005, 22:51:35 »
Glad you liked my story   ;D

It was a pleasure to try out your mission TH.

As for the women.....I didn't really notice where they went after they left the tent.

I myself made a hole in the fence when I left with the Bradley.
I also demolished some fencing when I visited the support trucks.

I just presumed they had left the area because I didn't notice them again.
I got the impression that the women I met on the road were the 2 from further north.

Planck

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #252 on: 16 Feb 2005, 23:39:52 »
I got the impression that the women I met on the road were the 2 from further north.
I think you are right.  The women in Stamenov's tent are told to leg it to towns south of Chapoi.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #253 on: 17 Feb 2005, 03:10:03 »
I think that at Chapoi, after I had made many holes in the fence, that one woman got stuck - she stood still in the same place - but the other had vanished.

I was killed many times when I played, but mostly many times from the same retry.    There were a couple of key areas - in La Trinite when I was being overoptimistic about trying to steal wagons and in that nightmare bit around Saint Louis, but most of the rest were one offs usually by being stupidly careless - partly caused because I had a recent savegame - or just unlucky in the fog with loons hitting me from far further than I could see.

With tanks I almost always play with me as gunner and AI as driver.     Rarely play with a third crewmember.   Sometimes I drive to save time but I move to gunner as soon as any fighting is required.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #254 on: 17 Feb 2005, 09:00:23 »
I have changed Chapoi a bit.  Stuck women are now not an issue.  As you say - if you can't make it work, ride with it and do something else. I think what I have done is an improvement anyway even if the escaping women bit had worked the way I wanted it to in the first place.