Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Abandoned Armies  (Read 216903 times)

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
Re:Abandoned Armies
« Reply #210 on: 13 Feb 2005, 10:38:51 »
I drive back no resistance and come back to find my little lodge has sunk or risen or something. It moved and I'm sure of it cause half my people were under the floor!
This is a total pain!!

I have a solution to the question as to why I am leading this team.  I am wearing my fathers unifrom - remember the Intro!  I just need to bring that out a bit more.

By doing a savegame when a problem develops I have been able to observe the prblem that SEAL84 experienced with his convoy.  It happened last night sometime about 3 hours into the mission.  I know what caused it.  I now need to find out what caused the thing that caused it. More soak testing with a different set of triggers.

GI-YO

« Reply #211 on: 13 Feb 2005, 22:20:08 »
from where i left off.

After getting so much AT weaponary i went tank hunting around La trinete and discovered a convoy of BMP2, vulcan and 3 trucks heading towards the town. With my four RPGs i took down the armour and then two of the trucks, rather good i thought. I then ran away very fast back to my lodge for supplies. Currently scouting Larche although it looks empty and bombed out. Im taking the northeners on first becase they have an airfield and am trying to provoke some combat between the fractions to lessen their numbers.  :o Larche is empty, not a person or tent in sight. (i would add a few bits and bobs because this town it the key to the vally to the north west). I would think some troops would have been stationed there even thought its bombed out.I got stuck in a building for a minute  ;D but escaped. moveing to st louis on foot on a recce. I hear fighting in the distance and a voice says they started fighting should be intresting, then recieve a burst of 50 cal in the back (again). must kill those jeeps!!

EDIT
I took out the squad in st louis with the M60, much like rambo! Took all the AT weapons and the other M60 and loaded them into the 5t truck and drive back to my lodge with the weapons. Now thinking about striking south and killing those jeeps, revenge will be mine ha ha ha   :D

GI-YO
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2005, 23:44:26 by GI-YO »

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #212 on: 13 Feb 2005, 22:59:35 »
Larche is empty, not a person or tent in sight. (i would add a few bits and bobs because this town it the key to the vally to the north west).
This also relates to a comment made by GuiltyRoachKiller.  There is a group stationed at Larche, but they are on guard and so have left by now.  I need to re-think this.

Glad you got them at each other.

Mr.Pibb

« Reply #213 on: 14 Feb 2005, 00:24:57 »
 I just wanted to add something here, I just downloaded the mission after spending like half an hour trying to quickly read through some of this lol. I personally have often dreamed of a mission such as what it seems yours is, anyone remember the rpg Twilight 2000 from way back when? I thought  man! This sort of mission could really be done with ofp, an entire island with an alive enviornment. And I dont hold any 'expecations' either, seems to me even with the bugs if it even comes close to what I've been waiting ages for then its already too much to be free. Personally have been working on and off on a similair scale project and as time has worn on I have all but quit on it because of the massive time involved, thank God someone actually put in the time to make a mission like this happen.
 This is all pre- emtive considering I havent even played the thing yet, but I'll just thank you now, I might be pre - occupied with the mission for a while and forget to return here ;D

Pibb

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #214 on: 14 Feb 2005, 04:14:19 »
Ok TH

I have finally managed to complete this mission.

I will write up my full story in the next couple of days, whilst it is still fresh in my mind.

By the way, you will need to apologise to Beethoven for missing out the 'd' from Ludwig as well.    ;D

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #215 on: 14 Feb 2005, 08:17:55 »
@ Mr Pibb
Well I hope I have not built up your expectations too much, I can already see lots of ways to make this better.  I hope you enjoy it as it is.

@Planck
I knew you could do it! :thumbsup:  I look forward to your story.  I hope you enjjoyed it, though I have to say I had intended that this mission should take longer to complete - even for someone with your dedication.  

Yes in deed poor old Luwig :)

Mr.Pibb

« Reply #216 on: 14 Feb 2005, 15:16:44 »
 A few quickies:

Ran the mission for about 2 hours last night, honestly its the best Ive seen (personaly) -

Heres just a few constructive criticizms:

The civie rescue was super easy, never encountered one enemy in the entire process.

Does the heavy rain and super close fog ever dissapate? Only because I found it more and more difficult to engage large numbers of enemies, especially in LaTrinite where I couldnt really set up any effective distance ambush, couldnt even see the enemies till they were right on me. Would be nice to have a much better viewing distance, and I think the rain added to the lag some (wasnt terrible lag, but certainy got kinda bad in LaTrinite with all the enemies).

The story is very good and the freedom is great, as I said, my only dissapointment is really the very limited viewing distance which to me is very unlike large scal ofp missions, aside from that excellent job - like I said - best Ive seen in a mission style as such.

Thanks for your efforts ;)

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #217 on: 14 Feb 2005, 16:55:43 »
A quick reply.

Thank you for your comments and compliments.  I really appreciate them.

I have completely re-written the civi rescue - it doesn't get harder (they are in no-mans-land so there should not be much chance of enemy contact) but I hope I hope it builds the atmosphere better without taking quite so long.

Does the heavy rain and super close fog ever dissapate?
After 2 hours I expect the weather would begin changing.  It is random but by now it should have started to change.  I forecast clear skies and only a very light mist (for a while anyway ;D).
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2005, 16:57:12 by THobson »

Mr.Pibb

« Reply #218 on: 14 Feb 2005, 20:18:13 »
 Sounds great, didnt know the weather does change, hmmmmm, now you got me wanting to play again to see the sky clear up, then I can get my cute little female sniper to do some work in La Trinite ::) - and I cant right now cause I got ton of work to do :'(

Thanks

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #219 on: 14 Feb 2005, 20:27:58 »
I played this mission with ECP, this might account for most of the reasons for my small fps.
The other reasons are probably my aged machine.
The save game bug is present, probably because of ECP, also the save file itself is well over 10 Mb in size.
Saving and reloading the mission takes longer than starting OFP up :)

I have a 900 Mhz AMD Athlon, GeForce 2 GTS 64 Mb (knackered), 256 Mb RAM.

Benchmark = 2235

When I built this machine it was almost state-of-the-art at the time.
That was a few years ago now.......time for a new one I think.

I played with a clean Addons folder......the only extra addon was the Editor Update required for the mission.

The fps I was getting was 2-3 fps, with occasional bursts of 4-5 fps on rare occasions.  That said, I also experienced complete freezes for a few seconds at a time at some points.

This is a shortened account of the way I played this mission, it is mostly the normal way I play, although this can depend on the mission type. I have a lot of patience and take my time, very low fps presents a degree of extra difficulty.....it can be very annoying too :|

Others have pointed out little quirks and suggested improvements and I have nothing much to add to that, so I will just stick with this account of the mission as it happened.

I can't comment on the burning effects because the fps I was getting screwed that to some extent.....I presume it was mostly the ECP burning effects, sounded like it anyway.
I didn't actually read your provided hints, I always meant to, but kept forgetting.

Total Mission Time = 24h 4 mins

Vigny
-----

Very foggy and raining, I put my gun away and climbed the hill, only getting the gun out again once I was on top.
I saw a light through the fog and made my way towards it.
Once I was close enough I saw a soldier through the window, so I shot him.
Two other soldiers appeared, one in another window and one at the door, I shot them also.
I put my handgun away and picked up an M16 from one of the bodies.
Looked around a bit and noticed the jeep on the other side of the house, I also noticed a girl through another window, sitting on a bed.
I went in to investigate and the cutscene kicked in.

Ok, so Tatyana got shot and killed. I went outside and presently I saw an officer, I knew he was an officer because he had NV goggles. I shot him and started to rob his body of the goggles and binoculars when the rest of his squad ran past.
They didn't seem to notice me as I was lying next to their dead boss, so I shot 3 of them and the rest ran off into the fog searching for me.
This was my cue to find a nice bush to hide in.

From my relatively safe bush, I was able to pick the rest of the squad off one by one, it took a while because shooting at 2-3 fps requires that you are VERY sure of the shot before you pull the trigger.

I looked around the rest of Vigny, but found nothing to interest me except of course the dead civvies.
I collected all the weapons and ammo the jeep could carry and set off in and easterly direction across country to the lodge.
On the way I saw a hut with civvies in and around it, I didn't investigate as I wanted to avoid the possibility of mucking up any triggers, I carried on to the lodge.

On approach, I was told to halt, which I did, and the cutscene started.
Now we are 5, so I re-armed my group with better weapons from the jeep.
I also investigated the ammo crate, but, there was nothing worth mentioning there.
I also turned on the radio and got the call for help, and information about 3 groups of civvies that required help.

I piled everyone into the civvie truck and we headed back west to the hut I saw before.
At this hut we gained 5 extra passengers and when we got back to the lodge the 4 civvies disembarked and headed for the (alleged) sinking building, and I gained an extra soldier.
I then proceeded to visit the other groups of civvies, bringing each group back and gaining an extra group member each time.........now I had 8.
All the civvies (12) were safe in said sinking building (I never experienced any sinking btw).
I checked my new group members weapons and re-armed where necessary.
I told them all to stay there as I was planning to recce Arudny next.

Arudny
------

I went on foot, I nearly always go on foot as vehicles tend to attract to much attention, especially from choppers, which were buzzing about.
It was quite light and the fog had mostly lifted and the rain had stopped by the time I got within sight of Arudny.

I noticed a squad at the eastern end of the village......and they must have noticed me, because they were coming my way at a great rate of knots.
I downed 2 of them then ran off to find a bush.
Eventually the remains of this squad stationed themselves near where they last saw me, it was an easy task to pick them off, but one of them got away.

I had started towards the village when a jeepmg approached from the east, driving slowly along the road with 2 soldiers either side of the road accompanying it.
I let them pass and they went through Arudny and carried on westwards.

I got into the village and found nobody else, however there was a truck, which I decided to take.
I planned to load up the weapons from the dead squad.
As I approached the bodies I saw the missing squad member, so I ran him over.
I collected all the weapons and drove the truck to the lodge.
I next planned to visit La Trinite.

La Trinite
----------

Leaving my group at the lodge again, I made my way to La Trinite, there was nobody around, so I had a good look about.
On examining the ammo crates I found I was now endowed with 10 AV mines and 10 AP mines.....goody goody.
I took the opportunity to change my weapon for a Bison.

I noticed the BMP Ambulance, the Repair truck and the Ammo truck, I decided to take them all back to base, one at a time, starting with the Ammo truck. Taking the Ammo truck was ideal, it meant I didn't have to faff about taking weapons and ammo from crates.
When I got back to La Trinite after delivering the Ammo truck to the lodge, and once again re-arming my group with even better weapons ( the woman I gave an M21, one guy got a PK and the rest got Bison, although I had one equipped with an RPG as well), there was a convoy from the north in town.
So I waited and watched until they left, then I went in and stole the BMP Ambulance.

On the last trip I planned on taking the Repair truck, but before leaving I left carefully placed AV mines and AP mines at both the north and south approaches to town.
When I got back to La Trinite after delivering the Repair truck to the lodge, there was no sign yet of any fireworks.
I had a bush all picked out to give me a good view of the south approach, because by my reckoning it was the south convoys turn to visit.
I was just approaching my bush when the south convoy arrived and the Bradley hit my first mine.
The Bradley was not destroyed but badly damaged and the crew and cargo ejected.
I thought this was great......I could repair that later, however it was not to be, the Ammo truck tried to go around the Bradley and hit another mine, which destroyed the truck and finished off the Bradley.......and its crew and cargo which were standing close by.

The Vulcan hit another mine as it was charging about, this also took out another truck, which by this time had already dropped its cargo.
The soldiers which had disembarked from the trucks were running around finding my AP mines.
Any which got too close to me were dispatched.

After a while, there were explosions from the north end of town, I took this to mean that the northern forces had arrived, they had obviously found some of my AV and AP mines.
Then there was gunfire and a message to the effect that they had started fighting each other........The war had started :)

I hung about in my bush for ages watching the battle and helping each side out now and then when any got too close to my position.
The armour from both sides was turning up and there were lots of armour wrecks dotted all over the place......not one was able to be repaired......no tanks for me :(
At one point I was in fear of being crushed by passing tanks, I thought I would have to change bushes, but in the end I didn't need to.

Eventually the flow of armour stopped and I got a message that Stamenov was dead.
The time now was about 14:20 and it was slightly foggy but not too bad, but it was raining again.
It got very quiet in La Trinite, but there was one or two squads or partial squads still around......northern forces I think.
I took time finding them all and wiping them out, then I called my group and told them to leave the lodge and get to La Trinite....on foot of course.

They were about 2 thirds of the way there when another northern squad arrived in town, I heard them arrive, three of them found some AP mines.  I told my group to halt whilst I dealt with the rest of them.
Once the town was clear I told my guys (and gal), to continue.
I was slightly wounded so I sought some medical treatment from my medic when they arrived.
The Ammo truck from the northern convoy had survived and I put it somewhere safer in town.
I got all my group equipped with NV goggles taken from dead officers
I waited around for a little while, in case any more soldiers turned up, but all I saw alive were 2 women running down the road.......then running back again....I left them to it, hoping they didn't stray from the road and find an AP mine.

My next stop was going to be Larche and then on to St. Louis.

Larche & St. Louis
------------------

We took the dirt road from La Trinite to Larche, by now it was very very foggy and it was raining heavily.
The journey was uneventful and there was nobody at Larche....we continued on to St. Louis.

There was nobody in sight at St. Louis that I could see, but one of my group reported a soldier apparently way to the west of the town.
I searched the town and only found the camp with a truck.

I stationed my group at the western part of town and went off myself in a south-easterly direction......intending to check out the south-west perimeter of the airfield.
The fog had lifted a lot, but it was still raining.
I was about half way to the perimeter when I noticed an enemy squad approaching from the north-east.
From their heading they were going to pass between me and my group.......so I used my binoculars to spot and report each soldier to my group......we cut them to shreds.

I decided to move my group to my present position in case they had compromised their position. I moved up closer to the perimeter of the airfield and spotted about 6 soldiers inside the fence, lying down.
I dispatched them all and waited to see if there was any reaction from any other direction.....there was none.
I was in a good position to survey the airfield by now, being on a small hill overlooking the southern airfield area, however, it was very foggy again and pi**ing it down and I could see very little. It was also starting to get dark......time was about 17:40
There had been a battle here that much was evident, there were armour wrecks and bodies dotted about.  I had heard explosions and gunfire whilst approacing St. Louis, so I was probably hearing part of this battle.

I moved my group to this position, it was amongst some trees and bushes.
I then entered the airfield through an open crash gate.

---------------------

This is a long post,,,,,,I will stop here and post the rest in another posting, maybe tomorrow.

Planck
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2005, 01:04:40 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #220 on: 15 Feb 2005, 00:11:11 »
Planck

You are a hero, not only doing all this but doing it with those fps!

A couple of new points here:  The mg jeep was accompanied by some soldiers on foot.  That means one of the jeeps was damaged and the crew had got out.  I think I have fixed that for the next version.

Stamenov seems to have been killed by the northron attack.  I really must do something about the strength of that attack.  I have now changed the southern base anyway so the northrons will not be able to kill Stamenov so easily.

Keep going...

I am currently working on the mines.  Follwoing mac's suggestion (and helpful code) they now require items from the players inventory.  Handgrenades for AP mines and LAW or RPGs for the AV mines.  They also have a disable mine action.  A few problems so far: using a LAW or RPG explosion for a mine doen't even stop a Bradley (I think I will have to go back to useign Shell120 (ie HEAT).  Other problem is I have not figured out a way to have the disable action without having a script for each mine!!  It works but it looks ugly, and it might be that script names are as bad as variable names when it comes the the large savegame bug.  I have not checked that yet
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2005, 00:16:31 by THobson »

Mr.Pibb

« Reply #221 on: 15 Feb 2005, 00:51:54 »
 Man, this is really ground breaking stuff here ;)  Im hanging around the north base right now watching the 2 sides battle it out, and its been quite a ride on the way here. Nice thing is I have noticed as the battle has subdued in La Trinite the lag is now all but gone, very happy with that (1ghz p3 256 mb Ram ,geoforce 64mb). Heck, I dont even want to kill the leaders and win the game, it would be over too soon! Think I'll spend some time trying to live on the island for a while and see what happens along the way. Hopefully your mission will inspire others to make similiar scale missions in the near future, cause I wont be enthused to download much else now :P

I actually decided to just leave all the ai teammates back at the lodge and just go on an adventure, worked out well cause the lodge got attacked twice lol, lost 3 guys the second time - pretty cool to have so many variables in the mission. Also decided after getting killed like 20 times (or more) in LaTrinite that it was time to pull out when they started battling it out, at that point I was happy to leave them to their own affairs, funny cause I continued to see support coming towards LaTrinite even from a long ways off, real time stuff happening, got that right ;D.

Lastly, its the first time ever I have downloaded a beta version of anything, and walked away with one of 2 of the best missions I have ever seen (other is CTI), so I'm sure the final version will be fine if the beta is this good. I might sound like a 'yes' man or something, but dude, I have searched all over for something like this for years. Good luck with the completion and release of the final version, assuming most of the ofp users out there can recognize excellence I would think in time this mission will be allover the place.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #222 on: 15 Feb 2005, 01:59:25 »
With my fancy mines idea, it was never the intention that the actual explosion should be the same as the item you placed.     As it happens, grenades are quite a good bang for AP so that's fine:  for AT I'd just whatever bang works best.

@Planck, I love the way you stole one wagon at a time from La Trinite:  I automatically tried to take all three at once.   Mind you, I got caught.   ;D
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Dubieman

« Reply #223 on: 15 Feb 2005, 02:23:26 »
I really wouldn't use a HEAT shell. They are much too weak. Use Shell120 or Shell105. Just a suggestion, when you place an AV Mine it puts a real OFP tank mine there. Either camcreate it or have it setposed from some island or something. :P

@Planck- You're already finished! Gaa! You ppl with your spare time! ;D

@Thobson- yes maybe tweak northerons like you said, almost every story I've read, the nourtherons have the advantage.

Mr.Pibb

« Reply #224 on: 15 Feb 2005, 02:30:32 »
 I have just noticed the 2 armored vehicles(T80,Vulcan) at the refuel station next to the North base, they dont have re-arm option when u drive them to the ammo truck thats there too, they do repair and refuel, but thats it. The ammo truck is fine, I re-armed a T72 I hijacked with it. Just thought you might wanna know about that.