Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: ?s about the russian army and US army for a 1977 campagin.  (Read 2037 times)

Matt Walter

I started to make a 1977 campagin and used the Vietnam war troops for te U.S. (is that acurate). Anyway, Mostly I was wondering about the Russians. For the first mission, I used the defalt russian units (1980s units), would they be the same. Also the Hind was develepted like in 1975 i think, would they have it flyable in 77 and is the shuka out by 77 and is the su-24 (or is it the SU-25...i forget...the one that comes with the game)  out by then.

If there are any downloads that could help me too, give me a link... I will ask for more mission based help when get this all fixed up.  ;)
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2005, 01:04:56 by Matt Walter »

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
Re:?s about the russian army and US army for a 1977 campagin.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2005, 12:03:25 »
The SU (Sukhoi)-25 Frogfoot made it's combat debut in the early 1980's during the war in Afghanistan. In 1984, it achieved full operational status, and production ended in 1991.

The Mi-24 Hind was fully operational in 1976 and made it's first appearance in the Afghanistan war. Don't know if it's still in production, but it's still a rather common sight on Russian military airfields.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2005, 07:15:49 »
But the Hind was different to how it is in CWC.. may even have been the version with gunner and pilot seats next to each other rather than having the gunner ahead. Faded memories from my work with the Nomad mod.

DSGizzmo

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2005, 16:54:26 »
I think the vietnam war ended in the early 70's so you might get away with using them. Also you could use the afgan era russian troops addon (somewhere on this site) Anway the campaign sounds interesting Good luck

Ade

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2005, 00:47:34 »
Old Hind had space for up to four crew (pilot, navigator, observer, gunner, a big glass nose and no chin turret.  It was more like an advanced troop carrier than a gunship. Check out http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/helicopter-m/mi24/pics01.shtml and have a look at the first four pics. However, this site gives the date in service for the familiar Hind-D, the version I would guess is in OFP, as 1976... just in time.

Ade  :)

Matt Walter

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2005, 04:34:06 »
That is good about the hinds because I just made a cut scene with some hinds raiding and air base.   ;)

The only thing about the afgan era Russians is there in desert fom...arn't they? I don't have them downloaded, they don't work for some reason. Can anyone find any late 70s Russian soldier pictures?  I looked for a bit for pictures with no luck. If they look close enough to the defalt units, I will just use them.

Also, was the t-72 active yet in 77, if not, is there a better russian tank then the t-55 that is already made, the M60 tanks kill those poor 55s.   ;)

Ade

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2005, 18:47:09 »
Matt,

Good news for your missions... afaik, the T-72 (aka T-64) entered service in 1972.  I'm pretty sure the T-55 was out of Russian front line service by then. That'll show those M-60's.  :gunman:

Dunno about late 70's USSR uniforms - don't imagine they were too different to  1985, maybe some subtle changes to camouflage patterns.  The AK-74 had certainly been in service a while by then, as had the RPG, Strela and other BIS/JAM2 standards.  I would tend to go with default BIS or JAM2 Russian troops, unless anyone knows different  ???

Ade

CameronMcDonald

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2005, 03:28:58 »
There is an old Hind addon out there - I've seen it. The old ones have a two-barrelled 12.7mm MG on the side of the fuselage, looks quite wierd.

Good luck mano, C"G"McD

Jakerod

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2005, 19:07:23 »
Someone is working on the early version of the hind. I would just use the one in CWC now and replace it later.

BronzeEagle

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2005, 06:12:58 »
I like these missions that delve into what really might have happened during the cold war.