Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: "Search & Destroy" Icon - when playing obstructs vision - ALTERNATIVES?  (Read 531 times)

spike8902

Imagine you're playing a mission.  You reach the top of a small hill near your objective and look down at the village only to see a big yellow target box and text saying something like "Search and Destroy", or "Move".  

I'm not talking about the boxes that originate from orders issued by the leader such as "move to" or "target" boxes that appear on the screen, I'm talking about text centred over a specific waypoint on the map.

This is obviously indicating to the player where they have to go.  This is all well and good when the player is miles away from the objective and uses this "beacon" as a reference to navigate by.  But when they are about 100metres from it I find it darned annoying.

It obstructs your vision, making spotting enemies difficult.  I'm sure that others reading this can agree that they have had this occur at some time or other.

Now, can I stop this from happening ?  Is this a default setting that cannot be changed ?  I'm a complete NOOBIE at making missions, but can someone please explain.

Thanks.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
Well, there's no scripting/etc. functions for it....

Don't use waypoints ::)...
People playing in Veteran mode won't see them anyway...
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

spike8902

I've tried Veteran mode and changed the options in attempt to get rid of it, but it's still there.

If I'm missing something, someone please let me know.

Thanks for your reply by the way.  I'll go back and take a second thorough look, AGAIN !!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
In general you get these annoying yellow boxes in Cadet mode but they are absent in Veteran mode.     However there are exceptions, for example they tend to appear in Vet mode when you are in a vehicle.    

They are a player selected function and there is not much the mission designer can do about them once they are in the mission.     However, the mission designer can control whether they appear or not since they are a consequence of player waypoints.    No waypoints, no yellow boxes.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

spike8902

Thanks MacGuba for your reply.  The mission I'm currently trying to build won't have any waypoints in it for that reason.  

Cheers!