Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: About the news post on MEC  (Read 2011 times)

Dubieman

About the news post on MEC
« on: 25 Dec 2004, 01:34:31 »
Hey all,
Does anyone know of a place or know themselves the list of the winners of the mission editing competition? An 18meg download plus downloads for it is kinda intimidating for the 56k crowd. Like a list with the mission name, author, and what kind of mission (sniper, infanty, tank, air...).

Thanks, merry christmas for the 100th time tonight :P
GRK

ocnick

Re:About the news post on MEC
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2004, 05:21:56 »
Here's a link that'll take you to a page where the missions are listed.  It doesn't, however, list authors, and the information.htm file included in the zip doesn't list authors either.  So they might be in the briefings/overviews, but I'm not sure.  Maybe BIS wanted to keep it anonymous.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2004, 05:29:04 by Blunt »

Offline Garcia

• Members
  • Leeds United is the best football team...EVER!
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2004, 14:48:32 »
BIS wants to keep it anonymous since it's not over yet...we (the community) still have to test the missions and then vote for the best of those 10 missions...so they won't say who's made what mission to make it as fair as possible for every one of the 10 finalists.

Dubieman

« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2004, 16:38:02 »
Thanks,

I found a page later last night, that just listed the mission names. I did recognize one too...

I guess BIS wants us to decide so we don't yell at them later when we don't think the best mission should have won and disputes like that.
 :P
Cheers

Offline Placebo

• BIS Team
  • BIS Community/PR Manager
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2004, 15:34:43 »
As has been said I deliberately continue to leave the Author's names absent so as to ensure as much as possible missions are being judged on their merits rather than because one author wears a better brand of socks than another author etc. etc.  ;)

I appreciate the downloads can be a little scary for dialuppers but really when you consider the tens of gb's of addons out there 18mb for the missions and 90mb for the required addons is an exceptionally small amount to download, when I last had 56k it averaged 20mb per hour so 110mb should take around 6 hours, start the download before you go to sleep, wake up and it's done :)

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2004, 20:21:07 »
Once the competition is over, OFPEC will be looking to host the missions and addons seperately so that people can pick and choose.
This will make things easier in the future.

But until the competition is finished, OFPEC is doing what we can to work within BIS's goals of keeping the missions anonymous and the voting even. This means keeping the bundle together so that people aren't influenced on downloading the smallest missions, etc.

:)
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2004, 20:25:34 »
start the download before you go to sleep, wake up and it's done

Unfortunately this won't work for a great number of dialup users.

A great majority of dialup users are automatically disconnected every 2 hours.........deliberately done by the ISP.

So.....to download a large amount like this the user needs to be there to reconnect.

No sleeping allowed.    ::)

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Dubieman

« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2004, 20:29:19 »
There are "programs", ahem, Getright, ahem, that save what you've downloaded and allow you to disconnect for however long you need and then you can start your download again from the same place at 15% or whatever it was when you reconnect.

However downlaoding takes time and kills all social contact within my house as the phones are unusable, I'm inside, and I'm too cheap ;) to get something better. :P

But I'll get around to it, someday. :tomato: :P

Offline Placebo

• BIS Team
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2004, 20:58:21 »
LOL yeah I was on dialup many years and always used programs that automatically redialled me each time I was cut off (NTL used to do it every 2 hours as well), there are loads of them out there just do a search :)

And yes it kills the social contact so you just tell one of those apps we just mentioned to do the downloading between 12am and 6am, I'm sure you won't miss too many calls at that time of the day  ;)

Offline Placebo

• BIS Team
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2004, 21:01:56 »

But until the competition is finished, OFPEC is doing what we can to work within BIS's goals of keeping the missions anonymous and the voting even. This means keeping the bundle together so that people aren't influenced on downloading the smallest missions, etc.

I'll have a think about what we can do for the poor dialuppers, but in all likelihood the best I will agree to is creating a split archive in something like 5 parts so it can be downloaded 4mb at a time. I would be loathe to release the missions in any form other than all together, but let's see how the feedback goes, so far I've only seen a couple of people complaining about the size but if that number grows I'll have to think more about options  ;)