Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: And now for something completely different....  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Nixer6

• Members
And now for something completely different....
« on: 14 Dec 2004, 08:13:45 »
As I take a break from pondering why the same mission I have been working on for almost 3 months has now gone completely bonkers on me, may I suggest a

Completely Silly Thread

ie; my latest unintended function

onEditorGoneTotallyDaft exec"AIGoTheWrongWay.sqs"

I really think I'm too old for this stuff :P

or
onCutScene exec "DoItCompletelyDifferentEveryTime.sqs"
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:And now for something completely different....
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2004, 08:16:28 »

;D

« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2004, 08:17:14 by Artak »
Not all is lost.

Offline Garcia

• Members
  • Leeds United is the best football team...EVER!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2004, 16:33:47 »
* Garcia wonders what this got to do with OFPEC

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2004, 17:02:40 »
Create a gamelogic and give it a set of waypoints.    Place one waypoint inside the area of each trigger in the mission.    Synchro the last waypoint (which most NOT be in a trigger area) to all other waypoints in the game.    Name the GL bugfix.    Preview the mission, SAVE IT and then delete the GL.    

Look over the mission and check that nothing untoward has happened:  this is useful tool embedded in the game, not a magic wand that miraculously knows what you are trying to do.    There is apparently a log file created somewhere but I've never found it.    For that reason it is better to run this regularly rather than just when the mission is ready for beta testing, so that you can keep track of what is happening.  

It's helpful to put a hint in the last of its waypoints so you know it has got there successfully and fixed all the bugs, it can take a few minutes.   Obviously it won't fix bugs in scripts or in triggers that have no area.   Remember to give the GL maximum skill.      

If you want it to fix bugs in init lines then group the GL with the group rather than giving it waypoints.    It can't be group leader and its a slightly tedious business because it can't override the maximum of 12 in a group, so you basically have to do it for each group individually.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2004, 22:21:03 »
@ Macca: Uh ? :hmm:

My bugs are often of the 'oi'-concept. Meaning you write a script, it doesn't work, you change everything five times over just to see that the error was that you hadn't put any _i check or you've written setmarkertype instead of setmarkercolor. Annoying.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat: