Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: scripting.. how long to learn?  (Read 4673 times)

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
  • Who is da operation flashpoint freak now, freak?!
    • OFP NFS mod
scripting.. how long to learn?
« on: 09 Dec 2004, 06:25:19 »
How long does it take to learn scripting? For me it looks like 2 years. Maybe its my age   :-\ (11 yrs old) I dont even know how to make a script. Luckily I know some HTML :) (only for briefings. I just copy the briefings and modify it. I cant even create it by hand  :'(). I wonder if anyone has a scripting tutorial for dummies. and not like snyper's one. Way too hard. Please  :-[
ofp nfs REBORN! All new nitro, neon, customized cars, off-road, on-road, rally, bikes, racer models and more!
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
Re:scripting.. how long to learn?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Dec 2004, 09:27:26 »
Well if you know how to program a couple of days/weeks. If you do not know how to program (I mean some real language here; not HTML)  it will probably take a couple of months, depending on you brains. ;)
Get those missions out there you morons!

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #2 on: 09 Dec 2004, 12:22:50 »
I made my first script something like a day or two after I read Johan Gustavsson's Scripting Tutorial, and I was eleven too then. OMG was it crap. ;D It's in the ed depot if you wanna laugh at it. :P

If you've done C or any other similar programming language, getting into OFP scripting shouldn't be very hard. It's not hard if you don't know C (or similar) either, so don't be afraid. Actually, OFP scripting helped me learn C++ (I started reading it about a year ago) .

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 09 Dec 2004, 12:27:12 »
The relevant tutes are:-

Abuu's Basic Editing Tutorial
Johan Gustafsson's Editing Tututorial
Johan Gustafsson's Scripting Tutorial
snYpir's Friendly Intro to Code Snippets
Devilchaser's Mission/Scripting Guide
macguba's Tutorial Mission

Much of the stuff in these tutes you will know already.    I suggest you skim through all of these quite quickly in say, two sittings.    That will give you an idea of what's there.    Scripting is easy, but when you start you need to have an idea of where you're going, which is why trying to read one tute till you understand it is not the best way to start.   When you get stuck, move on an read something else, then come back to the tough bit later.    The pieces will eventually fall into place.

If you are having difficulties with anything in particular, post a question here.

To learn scripting to a highly advanced level takes a lifetime.   To learn really basic scripting takes as long as it takes to read "Write this inflame true in the init field of the fireplace.", which I reckon is under 10 seconds.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #4 on: 09 Dec 2004, 12:31:59 »
To learn scripting to a highly advanced level takes a lifetime.   To learn really basic scripting takes as long as it takes to read "Write this inflame true in the init field of the fireplace.", which I reckon is under 10 seconds.

10 seconds?! :wow:

Took me 10 minutes. :'(

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #5 on: 09 Dec 2004, 14:57:10 »
IÂ'm 33 and hopelessly B.C (Before Computer). I learned scripting the slow and hard way, using the tutÂ's macguba mentioned. It will take you a few weeks or maybe months. But if youÂ're really interested in the game you will learn. Trust me. The trial-and-error method works.

I have a friend who works as a painter in Florence. He can barely switch on his computer and start ofp, but he can write working and quite advanced scripts, because he is genuinly interested in the game.

Start with adding code snippets in triggers and the activationfield of waypoints. This way you will learn how the basic principles of scripting works. Good luck.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2004, 16:58:48 »
well im now on a scale of 1 to10 a (4) with 6 being the average of scripters here.

the way i learned is first read tuts to get the basics, then more importantly just open up notepad and try what you learned.

also try taking other peoples already made scripts and copying them down(not using ctrl c,ctrl v) copy each part on your own(typing!) and take note of the writing behind the
(;)s those are notes to help the reader understand what each part does.

the most inportant part of scripting IMO is the
_man = this select 0
_tgt = this select 1

learn about these parts, they shold be the first thing u learn basicly, but thats just IMO
these are the one thing that is used in almost every script.
dont give up,
the benefits of scripting r more then just knowing how to script(obviosly)
they will also help you lots in your ability to make missions. ;)

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 09 Dec 2004, 19:25:20 »
also, make sure u get hold of a command reference. The scripter's bible. I'd recommend LustyPooh's even though there hasnt been an update for the latest version... atleast, that I've heard of.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #8 on: 09 Dec 2004, 21:23:55 »
There has been no direct update to Lustypooh's version.   However, the online version of the official comref (in the Ed Depot) has many helpful Comments which replicate many of the virtues of Lustypooh's verions.    

The only comrefs I use are the online one (always first port of call) and Lustypooh's Unofficial Comref.    
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

ThEoNeAnDoNlY

« Reply #9 on: 09 Dec 2004, 21:32:43 »

i wouldnt worry too much about scripting though. yes if you want to make mission, well "good" mission you should know some scripts, but what happens to most people and me when i was starting out. is i read a tutorial, it got too complicated and i gave up. and then sometimes i just looked at a script and it seemed to put me off. but seriously m8, all u need is some motivation and you can do anything.

i started scripting/mission making ages ago, but it has been just this month that i have figured out how to do most things thanx to the unnoficial command reference, made by various artists. seriously m8, i was following inv44 for ages and then i cant remember why but i got one of the mission makers hotmail adresses (and imean im obsessed with inv44). i was tlking to him, and he told me that if i could make mission well there was a slight chanse i might be able to get in. this was my motivation. i put my heart and soul into learning the script stuff, and i can tell you how easy it is once you have got going, just keep refereing to your command reference and you cant go too far wrong. and now i can make (dont mean to boast) but i can make pretty amazing missions now, just because i have the basics at my fingertips, and it wasnt hard.

so if you want to make mission with the pros and script like a geek, all you need to do is get out there and concentrate on making a simple mission, fiddle with the init fields firsts and the conditions and onactivation fields. then move onto making your own little basic script

e.g

hint "i feel a andom burst of blabber coming"
~6
player globalchat "hey im on tv...or a game, hell im on a screen thats what counts"

exit

something so simple but it will make you feel very confident.

Guy

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
  • Who is da operation flashpoint freak now, freak?!
    • OFP NFS mod
« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2004, 03:47:03 »
Nevermind guys.. It doesnt help anything.. I learn it sometime when the day comes to work at EA games or something  :-\
ofp nfs REBORN! All new nitro, neon, customized cars, off-road, on-road, rally, bikes, racer models and more!
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline dalton

• Members
  • i R n00b
« Reply #11 on: 10 Dec 2004, 23:57:14 »
10 seconds?! :wow:

Took me 10 minutes. :'(

um... how could you read that in 10 minutes, but post it only 4 minutes after he posted?
"freedom aint free"

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2004, 00:39:22 »
if you're gonna learn to script do it now, its easier to learn when you're young (thats why so many older people don't have a clue with computers  ;D)

heres what i did:
read 1 tut i think it was snyper's

found something to try scripting
didn't work

went to scripting boards on ofpec, tried to find easier things to attempt tp script
eventual made one that would work and BAM! i understood all (not really, but i got the hang of it)

so basically, get really familiar with commands by using them in triggers and stuff, then try it out for yourself, it won't take long before you get a "revelation" then you'll have the basic understanding and you can figure the rest out real easy. a few weeks i would say to learn basic scripting

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #13 on: 11 Dec 2004, 00:41:59 »
(thats why so many older people don't have a clue with computers  )

Pahhhh.........what do you youngsters know anyway?   ;)

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #14 on: 11 Dec 2004, 00:42:48 »
My father read it for me, only took him 3 minutes. ;D (EDIT: F00k me, this kind of writing is slow, never try this at home)

Bah! Bah I say to you my eleven year old padawan. Just read some of them tutes and feel the force. It will guide you. Someday you will be like me. Writing on your keyboard which is ATM behind the monitor to your computer, because your desk is filled with P&P RPG books. :P

Seriously (damn this hurst my wrists, but nothing can keep me away from ma baby OFPEC) , what is it you having problems with? It just doesn't rub in your skull?

:beat: *Gets AhMaenMyWristIsHurtingAndIDoAllKindsOfTypoesCrapNeedADoctored* :beat:
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2004, 00:44:01 by dmakatra »