Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: SP mission with objectives, but...  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
SP mission with objectives, but...
« on: 27 Oct 2004, 03:02:20 »
...the player have to decide when a objective is done or not.

In all the missions I've played, you will know when an objective is done, but in real life there is no "objective completed" hint.or whatever.

Let's say you have three objectives. The player is free to do nothing en move directly to extraction point or HQ, but he won't recieve any points.
Your mission should be evaluated at the end, not during the mission.

But what about event triggers?
Here is my idea :

When you think an objective is done, you make radio contact with HQ (don't they use a codeword for this?)
and via that radiotrigger you can activate your next event trigger for your next objective.

What do you think about the idea?

Search or search or search before you ask.

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
Re:SP mission with objectives, but...
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2004, 16:01:22 »
I like it a lot. I actually tried to implement something similar into one of my missions two days ago, but due to lack of time I didnÂ't finish the string of scripts/triggers required. Please keep me updated. The idea to radio back to HQ and report after each objective, and the having to wait until the bitter end to see if you were correct pleases me a lot. ItÂ's much better than my idea. In fact the idea is so good I think I have to steal it  ;D
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2004, 07:50:23 »
Yesterday I was pleased to play a mission with this concept (and more cool stuff)

It's from ACF and it's named "A touch of frost"
Very nice one, it's in the missions depot.

So I wasn't first with the idea  :)
Search or search or search before you ask.

Offline ZeekLTK

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 06 Nov 2004, 03:05:53 »
I tried to create a mission kinda like this. It wasn't really that the player decided when the objective was completed, it was more or less the player decided what objective he needed to do because he kept getitng radio messages telling him stuff needed to be done at different towns across the map and obviously he can only be in one place at a time so he had to decide where to go and then the mission changed based on that.

I got about 30% done with that. I had the 3 towns set up and all 3 were suppose to be under attack when the mission starts as the player is at a base. HQ Radios him and says they need backup in Town A, but then as he is heading out he gets two more radio messages about attacks on Town B and C, all requesting more backup so he has to decide if he should keep going to the first town, or divert off his path and go to another town to help them.

And then once he got to each town different things would happen. For example if he picked Town A then maybe he would be radioed to cancel reinforcements to Town B as they have it under control. Or maybe he would arrive in Town C and face a relatively weak force, then get messages that Towns A and B are being overrun and they really need backup, etc. But all I got done was setting up the forces in each town and creating about half the radio messages when I stopped working on it.

So if someone wanted to try to use this idea too, you can have it set where the player not only decides what objectives to do, but when they are done (like originally posted) to make it very replayable because you could literally have a completely different mission each time you play the same game.