Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: how to get people really p*ssed  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
  • 2./FschJgBtl 251 Green Devils
    • VBS2 Mission Download Site
Re:how to get people really p*ssed
« Reply #15 on: 19 Oct 2004, 07:45:51 »
Hello,

just my thoughts: To all mission makers: Try to limit your addons down to five. Nobody can tell me he can not do a good mission with five addons. Sure they are some realism guys out there (the color of the stock of the gun is not correct, no joke, i have had that, lets use a addon for it !).
To the addon makers, try to make complete addons (i like the sebnam) because it includes it all.  Although an addon without missions is nice but of non use. I think OFP need more good missions and campaigns.

Greetings
Kuro

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #16 on: 03 Dec 2004, 06:40:36 »
I'm of the opinion that addons make a mission. Granted not all missions need addons to be good, but if the author knows what he's doing then I'm fine with it.

Ofpec is the best site for missions in that you can get some idea of whether its worth downloading something because of the review system. If a mission has a score of 1 and a long list of addons, then you know to leave it alone.

If, however, the score is high, then downloading the addons is generally worth it.

If you rented a movie and it turned out to be shit, you don't complain about how long it took to drive to the video shop.

Sometimes a huge list is daunting, but then you can rely on other people's comments or the user ratings.

James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
  • When in doubt, empty the magazine.
« Reply #17 on: 05 Dec 2004, 19:13:01 »
I'm of the opinion that addons make a mission. Granted not all missions need addons to be good, but if the author knows what he's doing then I'm fine with it.
well i think that the point that the rest were trying to get across is the whole concept of diminishing returns: yes, a few good addons can really add to a mission's atmosphere, but with too many addons it becomes impossible for the player to use (or even notice) all of the addons that they had to download to play the mission.  because of that, the mission designer should only use addons that are critical to the mission.

blackmamba

« Reply #18 on: 13 Dec 2004, 21:50:19 »
oh man i guess yu guys gunna rip me good. oh well sorry but if yu pik a  cat3 afghanistan map to dl yu gotta expect to  use desert addons  am i wrong?  i only make desert missions so expect  to use desert addons or eh just dont dl mission. another warning i run 3.4 gig chip and 1 gig memory so beware of Sunni Triangle mission if your 56k also. sorry if u have trouble with it.   It  even pushes limit on my hardware.
so is best to run on fresh reboot :o

Commando

« Reply #19 on: 07 Feb 2005, 19:42:03 »
I never make missions without addons these days...  ;D
I get sick and tired with the original bis stuff over and over and over again , hearing the same sounds and seing the same sights  :P
sorry guys but i rarely even download many missions because original stuff bores me out  :-\

I played half-life mod counter-strike before i joined ofp community and what made me go sick of C.S. was that there was never new weapons and that kind of stuff but there where skins and stuff like that but some dipshits used them for cheating so they got banned and so you could'nt enter servers when you had custom skins  >:(
and i played in a clan and i got tired of staying in the same damn corner in the same damn map i got pissed and bored.

I saw the light in the tunnel when i tested the ofp demo and i realized that i would have to buy the game to enjoy the addons and cool mods that where done for old ofp 1.20  ;D and i bought the game quickly and i started doing tacky team deathmatches and a few coops to move on to only coop these days  8)

I don't think many people would touch ofp if it wasn't for the missions and addons and countless mods that are being produced every day, and that makes ofp for me and many others i presume to stand out from alot of the regular action games out there  ;)
The love for another game Far cry lasted for a summer almost but the love for ofp has lasted since 2001...what can i say its freedom its more free than most of the other games out there and the mods range from anything to a new bike to reflective water and total conversion mods and crazy mods like Tigers ( the animal you know  ;) ) so i can't do missions without addons because it gets unintresting so easy after a while.
Ofp is freedom and its also quality and dynamic modability and playability  :thumbsup:

i just can't understand what makes people complain about addons usage, i made a mission that used 11 addons once but they where good quality addons and the mission was a part of my coop mission series.
I have made readme files to where to get the addons wth precise URLS and stuff, in the future when i release it i will probably make a big html readme with pics so that people can see how the addons look like and so on so they get a preview of whats going to be featured in the mission  :)
Anyways have a nice day and hope all the 56-kers can get DSL someday also and world peace for everyone!  :D

Ex-RoNiN

« Reply #20 on: 06 May 2005, 01:08:55 »

My favourite example was a motorbike, which I had a lot of trouble finding and downloading:  motorbike addons were rare in those days so I was looking forward to it.    Didn't spot it during the mission so I unpbo'd the thing and looked for it in the mission editor.  Found it hidden between two buildings.   Admittedly you did visit that village, but with a whole squad so what use a motorbike was was open to question.  Fortunately, that didn't matter, because it was locked.....

:-[

It was the messenger...you were meant to shoot the messenger :-X You'd think you could let it go after all this time :-\ :P ;D

Won't happain again guv, honest ;)