Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Waterworld  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Waterworld
« on: 12 Aug 2004, 23:23:35 »
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but, when you place a building in the mission editor, in the middle of the sea, it does not sink.

It just maintains its initial position on the surface.

It is even possible to travel to the building by boat and disembark to the building, provided the building is an enterable one.

I can imagine missions like 'Take The Floating Apartment Building', where one team has to defend the building and the other team is invading.  Multiplayer of course.

I am using 1.96, so I don't know if this is a recent 'bug'.......I mean 'feature', or if it has been around for a while.

Planck
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2004, 23:24:20 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Re:Waterworld
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2004, 23:46:23 »
Actually, all objects except vehicles and units will "float". Try putting "this setpos [getpos this select 0, getpos this select 1, 50]" in the init field of any object, and you will see that it just hovers in mid-air. It's been like that for as long as I've been editing. Check out this oilrig I was working on a while ago, its a good example of "fun with flying objects".
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2004, 23:56:33 »
Actually General........you can place vehicles on the water and they will float too.  Specifically Car class vehicles......armour and air don't seem to do this.

If you are in the vehicle it sinks.........but an AI vehicle just sits on the water as does an empty vehicle.

They cannot move though.  I suspect if they did, they would sink.

I am almost positive that buildings used to sink if you placed them in the water pre-1.46.

btw.....I wasn't talking about setposing them on the water.........just placing them there from the editor.

Planck
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2004, 01:29:15 by Planck »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2004, 00:01:30 »
Fuck me, that oilrig is pure dead brilliant.   You should tidy it up -  make it accessible from the sea, maybe have some platforms around the legs and/or underneath the main level, add a helipad and so on - and release it as an "addon".

From what are the legs made?
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2004, 00:04:14 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2004, 00:38:55 »
Yes......very interesting construction.  It's like an offshore base of some kind.

Could be used as a supply and re-arm point for many missions, provided you had a means of getting there, and onto it.

Planck

Dubieman

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2004, 00:55:15 »
Awhile back I was workin on a multiplayer TDM you know, DM with a CTF element. Anyways I HAD to setpos buildings otherwise they'd get placed on the sea floor. But I had 1.91 or something then.

It was kinda cool, if you "sink" the apartment buildings from Nogovo and leave the tops about 0.5m above the surface they are a kick ass dock. I had sprawling decks about 100m in diameter for respawn and boats and other stuff.

Maybe I should take it up again.... :)

Dubieman

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2004, 05:17:55 »
Wow got working on this and it seems like a fun idea. Whadda you think? I have sea bases as respawn points and tons of docks/buildings in the open sea as cover for the PBR transports/gunboats. You use the PBRs for transport and you must capture the flag in the middle and bring it to your specific flag place. The flga local will be VERY urban cause humans can handle those apartment buildings easy.

Got the layout almost done. Do  you think it should be only walking or you have to use the boats?
 :-\

Holy crap there G. Barron! I like that layout there!

That'd look great if I could make that the base in my MP mission.  Would I have permission to use that for the spawn bases in my mission? :)

If I can how do you eliminate the legs? I can't have players up 250 in the air. :P ::)

BTW this is my basic setup for my MP mission, just get in the boat and go north and you'll find the deck area, I gotta make it bigger and add buildings for a urban place. It'll hopefully be decent place to fight in when its done. ;D