Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Any D-Day Missions?  (Read 17390 times)

CPT Rooster

Any D-Day Missions?
« on: 03 Jun 2004, 08:10:20 »
Any D-Day missions/mods/campaigns for today?

Gooner861

Re:Any D-Day Missions?
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jun 2004, 09:18:09 »
I'll eat my socks if there aint any, have a look through the missions depot. I know there are sum its just a matter of finding them.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jun 2004, 10:39:51 »
Theres on that recived a score of 2 points by Cap'n Winters. It's a real n00b mission but it's good fun anyway.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
  • I'm not a F***in llama!
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jun 2004, 18:21:58 »
i havent seen many (read: Any) good D-Day missions.....especially beach landings......AI just isnt suited to it..... ::)

Offline sim

• Members
  • Hot! Real hot! Damn Hot!
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jun 2004, 21:26:58 »
hey

I agree with Pathy, there aren't any descent D-Day missions out, I have played a few and well to be honest, are pretty poor, the AI dosn't react realisticly enough to gettin shot at on a beach especially under that much heavy fire... :-\

sim
The Unsung Campaign Team Leader

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
  • When in doubt, empty the magazine.
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jun 2004, 05:58:07 »
"WWII Pathfinders" by Igor Drukov

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=11982;start=0

you're a pathfinder that has to mark the drop zone for incoming paratroopers in the early morning of d-day, then destroy a flak emplacement and capture a town

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
  • I'm not a F***in llama!
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #6 on: 06 Jun 2004, 09:51:47 »
Hmmm could be good. Yeh the only really good WW2 missions are gonna be inland ones, AI sucks too much to do the beach.

I once tried to make a mission similar to the final battle in Saving Private Ryan, with sticky bombs that you could plant on tanks ect, but it was kinda crap  ;)

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jun 2004, 00:41:31 »
Heh. I made a sort of D-Day mission... using G36s and M2s though instead of Thompsons and Mg42s... Called 'Take Le Port', got 4/10 but I liked it back then... wasn't so laggy back then so  :-\ Ok... so it wasn't a D-Day mission it was just a beach invasion but same thing really in OFP, you're never gonna get a MOHAA style beach landing in OFP. It should be in the mission depot if anyone wants to check it out.

Offline sim

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jun 2004, 18:36:11 »
hey

Just been browsing random websites and found this D-Day mission that looks pretty damn good... hasn't been realesed yet but it should be good... I hope.

Check out the link    ;D

http://www.ofpww2.dk/15.htm

sim

Gooner861

« Reply #9 on: 07 Jun 2004, 21:22:13 »
Looks good, but does it play well that'll be the big question.

Dubieman

« Reply #10 on: 08 Jun 2004, 03:36:37 »
The biggest problem to overcome is the lack AI intelligence to get behind cover when fired at. I can see it now, I'm a german machine gunner in one of the bunkers and swoosh a higgens boat drops its bow and the guys jump out. I start firing sporadically expecting them to jump behind the sand dunes and wrecked pieces of armor and wiring emplacements but lucky me those americans are running at me in a staggered column! :D I open fire with glee and wacth them go down one by one and then they are all gone. And BOOM I'm dead with a bullet in my head from some guy with a laser accurate(ofp engine issues) M1Garand who was hiding in a bush 450m away.
Ahh darn and I hit retry. :P ;)

All the add ons are there for a killer mission but sadly the AI isn't. :'(

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jun 2004, 07:12:12 »
I cannot see why the AI should be any problem at all. Making everyone hit the dirt and hide behind objectives can be scripted, and should be scripted for a successful Omaha Beach mission. The biggest problem is the shortage of the fight. Sure, spray can be scripted as well with those two wonderful scripts at the scripting: beta testing forum but the player can just put a Garand shot straight in the MG42 gunners arse and then it would be all over.

There is a mission at ofp.info which is just as my previous suggestion a bloody noob mission. I even had to open it up in the editor just to make it work propely (the boats were crashing in to each other otherwise) but once you get on the beach with 7 other squads along with yours and everyone is dropping dead all over the place. Damn, it's such a good atmopshere.
But of course, it's not a 9/10 as I said and there is no realism (82nd are landing in Higgins boats, err... no) and I don't think there is a single script in the mission.

EDIT: Another problem would be to make it balanced. How the hell can one little player decides the fate on Omaha Beach. Sure, it's fun to play a grunt in something really big but if the end of the mission doesn't depend on the players action... Well, that sucks basicly. :P

« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2004, 07:14:26 by The real Armstrong »

Offline sim

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 08 Jun 2004, 18:31:59 »
hey

I agree AI jumping for cover is the problem but as said by Armstrong it can be scripted and if you know scripts well enough you can do this, as for shooting the MG42 gunners in the head with an M1 Garand, just use a script to replace the dead gunner with another one, there's a script by General Barron for this or just write it yourself... ;D

sim

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #13 on: 08 Jun 2004, 19:14:44 »
That is of course true. But it's not very realistic. You can shoot gunner after gunner after gunner and they keep comming back after 2 secs. :-\

Gooner861

« Reply #14 on: 08 Jun 2004, 19:28:15 »
Its goin to be a bit hard to shoot at the MGunner if he's quite a bit away, in a bunker whilst ur bein shot at by a few Mg's, first thing to do is to get off the damn beach.

But also wud they not replace the gunner in real life anyway, obviously not as quickly as 2 secs but surely they wud try and fill that gap.