Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: DOES FADE COPY PROT. DESTROY INSTALLED CODE?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline ZNorQ

• Members
  • ehr... uhm... duh...
DOES FADE COPY PROT. DESTROY INSTALLED CODE?
« on: 25 May 2004, 17:07:55 »
Hey folks!

Now before you start dragging out the big guns and start hammering away about me using illegal copies blah blah blah - stop right there!

I have bougth many originals of flashpoint - mainly because of Resistance version, then GOTY edition - and now the DVD edition.. Just can't get enough of it!  ::)

The reason I get "REMEMBER; ORIGINAL GAMES DOES NOT FADE" is because I run 2 instances of flashpoint on the same computer - for MP testing... I'm not that lucky having 2 computers at home to test on...

So - again - does it destroy the already installed code?

An other thing; Anyone see any problems with testing on 2 instances of flashpoint on same computer? (Apart from the "FADE" message...)

ZNorQ

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:DOES FADE COPY PROT. DESTROY INSTALLED CODE?
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2004, 17:39:39 »
I would assume the registry entries are changed to match the later installation by overriding the previous entries.
I have two installations, but on different operating systems.
Not all is lost.

Uldics

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2004, 18:11:43 »
You can extract the key from regedit and save as *.reg file. You can recognize it, when you search for "flashpoint". But there are several "flashpoiont" in the registry. I have done it for not reinstalling OFP after the periodic Windows crash and reinstall.
Then make another installation of OFP, find the new key in regedit, which have replaced the old one.
Then in some way the same place you should manually create a same type registry key as the new one, but point it to the old instalation place of your OFP. Maybe it is enough to just make the instalation in same place, but start the two different files of OFP (not just shortcuts). And write the key manually in your newly created key.

Have not tested it, dont have two copies and keys. But hope this helps.

Offline ZNorQ

• Members
  • ehr... uhm... duh...
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2004, 18:21:50 »
@Artak and Uldics

I only installed flashpoint once, and running the same instance twice..
My guess is that the MP engine detects the same key on the net, and thereby activating "FADE"...

I'm not looking for a way to install a fake key on a new installation! The question is really do anyone know if FADE actually destroys code already installed. And thereby forcing me to reinstall the game...

ZNorQ

Offline ZNorQ

• Members
  • ehr... uhm... duh...
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2004, 18:28:29 »
Ehr, just to clarify things (hopefully  :P); I only own 1 copy of flashpoint (GOTY), so I do not posess my old copies of flashpoint, hence I can't install it several times using those keys.

And when I said "running same instance twice" - I really meant running the game twice from the same installation (same key).

Pls pardon my English spelling/grammar...

ZNorQ

Uldics

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2004, 22:26:43 »
Then I dont think it is possible to make it work without 2 reg keys.
 :'(

Offline Peter_Bullet

• Members
  • "The evil that men do lives on and on"
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2004, 11:01:52 »
Version 1.96 (flashpoint beta) doesn't need registryes nor CD at all, so you can just copy the folder to another place  ;)

Offline ZNorQ

• Members
  • ehr... uhm... duh...
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2004, 10:33:09 »
Sorry, never thanked u guys! :D

THX!

PS! I'm having too much difficulties with 1.96 - too many strange things happening.. So I'm working on 1.91 for the time being.

PS2! Borrowing a friends computer - and his ofp - so I'm a happy camper now!  ;D

ZNorQ